Board Games

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I play poker every week with some buddies of mine, and occasionally we will get bored with it and break out something like Risk, Axis & Allies, Monopoly, or some other board game that ultimately ends in a fight :D

Anyone else enjoy playing board games? I'm a big fan of the Axis & Allies, and Diplomacy is a pretty fun game too if you like having an excuse to backstab your friends. I've heard good things about "Napoleon's Art of War," but unfortunately it is only two-player.

Jan 6, 2006
Risk & Monopoly are fun. Never finished a game though - some asshole always flips the board.

Stratego is fun as well.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Risk & Monopoly are fun. Never finished a game though - some asshole always flips the board.

Stratego is fun as well.
Monopoly ruins friendships. Risk can suck since people will make alliances, which you really shouldn't do because it's always just a self serving thing to keep someone off your back while you venture into other territories.

I've never played Stratego, I've heard good things. I should also mention Settlers of Catan--GREAT game, but they want to fuck you out of your money if you want to buy expansions for it.

Jan 6, 2006
Monopoly ruins friendships. Risk can suck since people will make alliances, which you really shouldn't do because it's always just a self serving thing to keep someone off your back while you venture into other territories.

I've never played Stratego, I've heard good things. I should also mention Settlers of Catan--GREAT game, but they want to fuck you out of your money if you want to buy expansions for it.
My friends and I always incorporated drinking into these games as well. Whenever someone rolled doubles - everyone drinks, takes a property - you have to drink, lands on a property & pays - both drink, if they land of free parking - everyone takes a shot, someone makes it past go - they drink, etc.

For Risk - It was every time someone lost a singular unit.

That probably has to do a lot with the reason why I've never finished a game.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
are you half a fag?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'm a fan of board games too, though it's often difficult to find people to play. Risk is fun but it takes so long to set up. Monopoly is fun at first but very quickly devolves into annoying repetitiveness. Scrabble is cool.

I also think that board games requiring DVDs are bullshit. I also saw a commercial for a Monopoly game that uses calculators instead of cash. Sad, sad times we live in.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
(Uncle Paul voice...)

Candyland is one of my favorites, as long as you have the right players...

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
(Uncle Paul voice...)

Candyland is one of my favorites, as long as you have the right players...
Like a black drug kingpin and a ridiculously hot chick with cum-shooting tit cannons.

Jan 6, 2006
I also saw a commercial for a Monopoly game that uses calculators instead of cash. Sad, sad times we live in.
One of the best parts is being robbing the bank when no one is looking.

Life is also a fun board game.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
I also think that board games requiring DVDs are bullshit. I also saw a commercial for a Monopoly game that uses calculators instead of cash. Sad, sad times we live in.
The only game that is fun with DVD is "Scene It." It's a corny and awful game but a guitly pleasure of mine.

I got the Monopoly that uses the credit cards and quickly returned to the original game. The credit card system is meant to be a more convenient way to bank, but in reality it gets annoying passing the stupid machine around every 5 seconds. I will admit the game goes a little quicker though.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Do you guys consider chess a board game? Chess is another one that's hard to get people to play because if you ask people to play, they generally assume you're better than you actually are and if they say yes, they're generally better than you actually are.

I haven't played Stratego in ages. That was fun though.

Jan 6, 2006
Yeah, Chess is a classic board game. Same with checkers.

I'm pretty good at Chess. I haven't played in years though.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
I do need to start playing chess again. Used to play it all the time with my dad. I kick ass at checkers, and I don't leave my chips in the back spaces the whole game like a douche either.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I haven't played a board game in quite some time. Socializing is a luxury I, unfortunately haven't had much of lately. I think one of the last games I played with friends was "quarters" (most people here probably know what that is), and that's not exactly a thinking man's game. Actually, I think the only games I've played recently have been digital.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
I like board games too, some of my favorites are Monopoly, Chess, Checkers and Scrabble. Is hard to find people to play with, but those rare times that it happens I'm all over it.

Speaking of Scrabble, I haven't play it in years, but I do play Literati on Yahoo to kill time.

shimrra

Hello Ladies
Aug 14, 2007
Speaking of Scrabble, I haven't play it in years, but I do play Literati on Yahoo to kill time.
If you have an iphone or ipad there is a free app called Words With Friends which is exactly like Scrabble and you can select random player and you can take your time playing the game. http://appshopper.com/games/words-with-friends-free

They also have Chess With Friends, but I have not tried that out yet. http://appshopper.com/games/chess-with-friends
As for regular board games I would have to go with Monopoly, Battleship and Chess. Has anyone successfully played a game of Clue?

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Balderdash is the shit.

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Stratego is awesome, haven't played it in years. Risk is really fun and reminds me of Nobunagas Ambition on the nes.
One game I think it was called crossbows and catapults? Involved building a fortress then using rubber band powered siege weapons to beat your opponent. Used to play it with my little brother, it was a different take on the traditional board game.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
Risk or Aggravation for the biggest family fun night fights ever.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
The only way I get to play 'board games' is on the computer / video game counsel.

I found a Java version of Acquire, but I'd be more than happy to buy it on Xbox Live if it ever became available.

Other games I'd like to see computer versions: Zombies & Munchkin.

Monopoly is better as a video game because people can't cheat.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I want to add, I don't think I've ever won a Monopoly game in my life. Every other board game I have at least a few wins. Even poker I'm not a complete ass at (although my losses far outweighs the wins). But the gods of Monopoly never shine favorably on me.

My favorite thing about Monopoly? The arbitrary Free Parking rules.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Monopoly w as banned by my mom when she threw the board in face when I was 11 years old. So my dad ot this wise idea to buy her one for Christmas this year thinking she may want to play again. You use a credit card these days instead of the fake monies. My mom just gave him the death look. He convinces her to play one game. It was like she was having a root canal without and meds. She was ready to trash the board halfway into the game. Monopoly is banned in my family.