Bob Saget article promoting Virus Tour

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
What about Bob?

Saget re-emerges with a dirty mouth, shedding his squeaky-clean persona

Everything about Bob Saget is familiar: The lanky 6-foot-4 frame, the warm, understanding eyes, the boyish smile.

Then he opens his mouth and out spew things Danny Tanner or the eager-to-please host of "America's Funniest Home Videos" would never dream of saying aloud.

But that's exactly how Saget has reinvented himself since "Full House" ended its run and his tenure as host of what he now refers to as "the video show" expired.

Saget reached his foulmouthed zenith in 2005's "The Aristocrats," where he told perhaps the dirtiest version of the dirtiest joke ever told. Saget, 51, says he still winces when the movie is brought up when he's around his daughters.

But that's not stopping him from telling dirty jokes, which he'll do Saturday when he plays DTE Energy Music Theatre during Opie and Anthony's Traveling Virus tour with Carlos Mencia, Louis C.K., Bob Kelly and more.

We recently spoke to Saget about the tour, his career and the mindset it takes to tell dirty jokes for a living.

Q. What's the mood like backstage on the tour?

A. It's stupid low-key. There's something weird and wonderful about comedians in the bullpen: You pace around like a tiger and then you go out there, and you just start hitting balls. It's just fun -- I'm just kind of in-the-zone at the moment.

Q. What's the secret of your comedy?

A. I've been saying this my whole life: I just locked in at 9 years old. When I go on stage and I'm talking dirty, or whatever the hell people call it, I'm just being 9.

Q. What's it like now when you go back and watch reruns of "America's Funniest Home Videos?"

A. If you watch "America's Funniest Home Videos" now with me on it, there's a lot of weird and edgy stuff in it. I said stuff like, "These clips are going to spew into your face" -- that's just terrible. I had a boy on that show once dressed as a centaur, this 14-year-old boy, and he goes, "Hi, Bob!" and I go, "Hey, centaur boy!" It was a show about animals or something. He goes, "You wanna ride me over to the stage?" I'm like, "Absolutely, centaur boy, I'm going to ride you over to the stage!"

Q. And then ABC called Daisy Fuentes to host the show.

A. Well, actually it was eight years later. But I said to Daisy once, if she and I had a child, it could host the show one day.

Q. Can your career renaissance be traced back to your cameo in "Half-Baked"?

A. That was when the traction of the college audience started. That was the big turning point. Then I kind of realized, man, I really relate to a college audience. I'm not trying to do it for them, it's just how I talk.

Q. Were you enjoying "Full House" and "AFV" while you were doing them?

A. For a little bit I didn't; I don't think I appreciated it. The video show what was hardest for me is people said, "You're not funny on there. Your jokes are cornball. I can see in your face you don't like your jokes." There was more going on to it, but I think I was pretty hard on myself.

Q. Now, you don't even look the same as you did back then. You look so much more comfortable.

A. It's really weird. It really is that I just became me, and I worked hard at it. And not overnight, it was a 10-year process. I just was a different guy back then.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/ENT01/708020409/1032/ENT

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
Another one from Real Detroit Weekly...

From RealDetroitWeekly.com

Features
Bob Saget
By Scott Bolohan
Jul 31, 2007, 11:44

Bob Saget
Raw Yucks

After playing one of the most wholesome characters in network TV history, Bob Saget’s career was reborn following appearances in Half Baked, Entourage and most recently, The Aristocrats. Saget’s brand of raunchy comedy has become popular with the same people who grew up with him as the “All American dad.”

Saget has always had a darker sense of humor, and at this point in his life, he feels comfortable showing it. “I would say I hit it harder now than I ever did," he says. "Since I started doing standup when I was 17, my jokes were always weird and sick. We had a lot of death in my family; my dad lost four brothers, and I lost two sisters. We had a lot of hardships, and my dad chose — rather than have a nervous breakdown or turn negative — he went to his sick sense of humor. I was raised to go to the gallows with humor. I wouldn’t do anything if it didn’t organically come from where I’m at. It’s not an intentional, linear thinking thing, I don’t go, ‘This is how I’m going to be now.’ It’s just how I am.”

Despite the potential shock of seeing Danny Tanner spewing out filthy material, Saget says it’s not his intention. “I just want people to laugh and be entertained, it’s that basic," he admits. "I don’t want to offend people. When I host 1 vs. 100, the stuff in-between is pretty raw. People in the audience enjoy it, but they have to cut it out, because I know it’s not right. In the HBO special that I have coming out, first I say to the audience, this is filthy, it’s just for me. If I’ve got 12-year-olds in my audience, I ask them, please don’t put them in my audience, give them their money back. I can’t do my work: I’m not going to do it in front of them. I’m not here to shock people. I haven’t really heard from anybody that goes, ‘How could you do this?’ I’m not coming from a bad place with it.”

Asked if he would consider himself “raw,” Saget grapples with the concept of rawness. “I think it means you don’t have a big censor," he explains. "I’m always trying to get to the core. I guess raw talent is when something is real and it’s honest and you’re not trying to shut down any part of it — and in my standup I really get to do that now. But I try not to say something that would hurt people in my life. I strive to just say what comes to mind in addition to stuff that I find funny and not censor myself anymore for anyone, so I would call that raw. It shouldn’t be about being sexual or dirty, it should be about getting to your core. That’s how I’ve always done it: I come balls out. From the moment I was birthed, my balls come first.”

Saget isn’t opposed to doing family shows, but he’s not the same guy from Full House. “I can’t do Danny Tanner," he says. "I don’t know how to do that anymore. I wouldn’t be that kind of a character unless there were levels to it, unless he breaks down and you find out that he dresses up in strange women’s clothing and Uncle Jesse and him are doing something weird.” | RDW

Bob Saget will appear with Opie and Anthony’s Traveling Virus Comedy Tour at DTE Energy Music Theatre on August 4.

Arythmetics

Jan 29, 2006
Reborn? Maybe those guys should do some research. He was doing dirty before he became Danny Tanner.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
How funny is it that Bob Kelly and Louis C.K are mentioned as also being on the bill, instead of a certain #4 NY Times best selling author?