Boehner says no to minimum-wage hike

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Boehner says no to minimum-wage hike

By Chris Moody, Yahoo! News

In his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama outlined a wish list of liberal policy ideas, including a proposal to raise the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour by 2015 and implement automatic adjustments tied to the rate of inflation in the future.

“Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong,” Obama told a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night. “Let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on earth, no one who works full time should have to live in poverty.”

But like many of the ideas Obama put forward during his address, a bill to raise the minimum wage is unlikely to pass the divided House and Senate. And on Monday, House Speaker John Boehner shot down the idea, arguing that raising the rate would stunt job growth.

"When you raise the price of employment, guess what happens? You get less of it," Boehner said in response to a reporter's question about the president's proposal. "Why would we make it harder for small employers to hire people? Listen, I've got 11 brothers and sisters on every rung of the economic ladder. I know about this issue as much as anybody in this town. What happens when you take away the first couple of rungs on the economic ladder, you make it harder for people to get on the ladder. Our goal is to get people on the ladder and help them climb that ladder so they can live the American dream.

"A lot of people who are being paid the minimum wage are being paid that because they come to the workforce with no skills," he continued. "This makes it harder for them to acquire the skills they need to climb that ladder successfully."

In 2007, Congress passed and former President George W. Bush signed a bill to raise the minimum wage to $7.25 from $5.15 per hour, which took full effect under Obama in 2009. The provision was added as a sweetener for Democrats in a bill that primarily addressed funding for veterans, victims of Hurricane Katrina and the military. Boehner, the House minority leader at the time, voted against the bill. At that time, Congress had not approved an increase in the federal minimum wage since 1997.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...1lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

Heh heh, boner...

“Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong,”
Fuck you, no it's not. Minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage, you ignorant fuck.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
“Let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on earth
Why is he making a speech about Qatar, Singapore and Norway? I thought "state of the union" refers to the state of the United States.

rockpup

Sick Puppy
Jun 2, 2005
Souf Florida
I had to sleep, but maybe enforce minimum wage for all illegals, and collect taxes from them too?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I had to sleep, but maybe enforce minimum wage for all illegals, and collect taxes from them too?
Oh, too bad. I'll summarize for you.

Lie, lie, oppress, lie, lie, deceive, misdirect, lie, lie, send the country further down the shitter, lie, lie, take away our rights, lie, lie, fuck America.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
You mean allow them to work legally? Ok, you have a deal. I'm pretty sure that's one of Obama's main proposals.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
“Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong,”
Maybe the person earning minimum wage shouldn't have had two fucking kids? Yet the thing that's "wrong" is we're not artificially inflating her value to the market to support her bad decisions? How is that family going to support those kids when their minimum wage position is cut due to the increased costs to businesses? Oh that's right, we'll get them on welfare, food stamps, and other social programs, which is the ultimate goal of Democrats.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
If you and your wife are both making minimum wage and have two kids, you're doing it wrong.
Exactly. Minimum wage is for kids, wives (Okay, I'll say spouses for Three Hole Puncher) supplementing the family income and old people that want a little extra pocket money during retirement.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
$9.00 is not exactly a living wage..at least not nowadays.
No, it's not, but it's still way too fucking high. Let states raise minimum wage if they need it. But setting the same wage for a worker in a small town in Iowa that you would for a someone in NYC is fucking crazy talk.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
$9.00 is not exactly a living wage..at least not nowadays.
But it could still be an artificially high wage as far as the market is concerned. We should have economic policy that motivates people to earn more than minimum wage by the time they start a family, not reward those who've made the mistake of doing so without the income.

Labor costs are the most flexible, and thus the first thing cut when the cost of doing business rises. So if you have a McDonalds with 15 minimum wage employees @ $7/hour, their labor costs for that group is $105/hour. If you raise it to $9, do you think they just pay the additional $30/hour? No, they cut ~3 or 4 jobs to keep labor costs at the same level.

Is it better to have those 4 people earning $7/hour, or have them unemployed and probably collecting more social entitlements than they already were?

These Democrats couldn't care less about the strength of the economy... this is just a way to buy votes. The minimum wage employees jump for joy because they get the $2/hour raise they "deserve", and when they're laid off the Democrats scream at the company and then tell the unemployed "don't worry, we got a check for you".

Minimum-wage jobs shouldn't even be the focus of economic development... skilled trade and other jobs that actually provide a living wage should be... and our policy should support these jobs coming about naturally... not just dumping money into industries to create a position which costs us as taxpayers much more than it's worth.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
whiskeyguy said:
Labor costs are the most flexible, and thus the first thing cut when the cost of doing business rises. So if you have a McDonalds with 15 minimum wage employees @ $7/hour, their labor costs for that group is $105/hour. If you raise it to $9, do you think they just pay the additional $30/hour? No, they cut ~3 or 4 jobs to keep labor costs at the same level.

Is it better to have those 4 people earning $7/hour, or have them unemployed and probably collecting more social entitlements than they already were?
Correct.

And if I'm an employer...who am I going to consider for my full-time burger flipper job...the guy that got laid off from his previous burger flipping job because the minimum wage went up and he's been on his ass collecting unemployment, food stamps, etc the last 2 years...or the guy that has been flipping burgers and working his ass off at one of my competitors? Perhaps he wants a buck or two more an hour...shouldn't be a problem for me if he's an excellent employee who busts his ass but has been stuck at minimum wage at his other job.

The more people working and engaged, the better chance they'll have at earning more money at some point and getting raises. The more people unemployed and the longer they get comfortable on unemployment, food stamps, welfare, etc...the more unattractive they become to employers and the more likely they don't even bother looking for another job.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
But it could still be an artificially high wage as far as the market is concerned. We should have economic policy that motivates people to earn more than minimum wage by the time they start a family, not reward those who've made the mistake of doing so without the income.

These Democrats couldn't care less about the strength of the economy... this is just a way to buy votes. The minimum wage employees jump for joy because they get the $2/hour raise they "deserve", and when they're laid off the Democrats scream at the company and then tell the unemployed "don't worry, we got a check for you".

Minimum-wage jobs shouldn't even be the focus of economic development... skilled trade and other jobs that actually provide a living wage should be... and our policy should support these jobs coming about naturally... not just dumping money into industries to create a position which costs us as taxpayers much more than it's worth.
I make 9 an hour at my two full time jobs asshole. People seem to think we make more.... No...it's 'What the market will bear"........My job doesn't pay shit, but I like doing it...most people in my profession do so for the same reason. Yeah, that guy that just saved your life...makes as much as a person a McDonalds. We work long hours at two or more jobs....and have your bullshit to deal with...

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I make 9 an hour at my two full time jobs asshole. People seem to think we make more.... No...it's 'What the market will bear"........My job doesn't pay shit, but I like doing it...most people in my profession do so for the same reason. Yeah, that guy that just saved your life...makes as much as a person a McDonalds.
Wait. You make $9 an hour as an EMT? And they bill the insurance company $1000 for a one hour ambulance ride? Something doesn't seem right...

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I make 9 an hour at my two full time jobs asshole. People seem to think we make more.... No...it's 'What the market will bear"........My job doesn't pay shit, but I like doing it...most people in my profession do so for the same reason.
Then you made a decision based on what is important to you, and that's fine. My argument was we shouldn't artificially inflate someone's pay beyond that position's value to the market, simply because they need it. Hell, I've probably averaged around $16/hour (no benefits) for my 20s, and that was busting my ass in construction and logging... and during some of that time finding work was a bitch. I understand it's difficult living off minimum and barely above minimum wage... but it should be (hence the minimum wage). You either accept that income as enough compensation for doing something you love (like you did), or you use the motivation of more money to better yourself and move to higher pay scales.

$9 for an EMT does seem ridiculous though. Does most of the cost of an ambulance ride go to liability insurance or something along those lines?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Wait. You make $9 an hour as an EMT? And they bill the insurance company $1000 for a one hour ambulance ride? Something doesn't seem right...
yup....explain to me what's fucked up in this picture.....I mean other than me doing this?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I get that you're doing something you love, but maybe there's other jobs you can take your skill set to and make a bit more money?
I made 35/hour as a coach...which I plan on returning to soon, but left to go to Paramedic School (which cost 14,000) for a year...my pay will go up to 14 an hour here...20 perhaps in a higher cost of living area. People think we make between 65 and 100 thousand a year...no... only with the second and third EMS job. Which most do... EMS has a high rate of on the job deaths, injuries, divorce, and burnout. Among other things.

What chafes me is a box of cotton gauze, which you and I buy for 3.99 at most in a store..is 52 .00 on a bill for a single pad (they charge for a whole box once it is opened), Box of gloves the staff uses....30.00(I think they sell for 6.99 at the market), there are drugs I can give as a medic that are two months of my salary.
While I hate Obamacare...I wonder if it is not a brilliant plan to have Medicaid, medical, and pharmaceutical companies fold......
We were told that a leg laceration with uncontrolled bleeding did not require an Ambulance...last month and was refused payment....

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sweet words, but let's see if the Republican Party has the balls to hold its ground.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Then you made a decision based on what is important to you, and that's fine. My argument was we shouldn't artificially inflate someone's pay beyond that position's value to the market, simply because they need it. Hell, I've probably averaged around $16/hour (no benefits) for my 20s, and that was busting my ass in construction and logging... and during some of that time finding work was a bitch. I understand it's difficult living off minimum and barely above minimum wage... but it should be (hence the minimum wage). You either accept that income as enough compensation for doing something you love (like you did), or you use the motivation of more money to better yourself and move to higher pay scales.

$9 for an EMT does seem ridiculous though. Does most of the cost of an ambulance ride go to liability insurance or something along those lines?
I can accept that first argument, hence why we all have second and third jobs. in my field.
I know I'd make almost 9.90 on unemployment... and be able to work 30 hours per week...but I am not a dirtbag.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Sweet words, but let's see if the Republican Party has the balls to hold its ground.
No worries...they'll do what's right for America and libert....HAHAHAHAHAHA...I almost typed that out without laughing uncontrollably.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I'm ok with tying the minimum wage to an inflation index, just to keep it from being a political football.

Don't get me wrong: I know it'll have all kinds of inflationary effects and that it'll be dumb as hell. But get it off the table as a political issue so it'll "just" be a given in the work environment. In real terms, the number of people who are really making minimum wage is so little that it'll have relatively little effect on the economy. More of the workforce will be at minimum wage, of course, prices will go up, etc., etc., and it'll be a feedback loop to raise minimum wage more, but it won't be any more of a feedback than a dozen other things we stupidly do in our economy.

Just get it off the table already.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
They will just raise prices and lay people off to make up what they now have to pay for wages. It never will even out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
raising the minimum wage just gives the rest of us pay cuts. when will people understand this?