Movie Bohemian Rhapsody

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Surprised there was no thread yet. Finally saw it last night. As usual the critics were wrong and the fans were right. This movie is great. If Rami Malek isn't a front runner for an Oscar, the Academy Awards are shit.

The Live Aid stuff nails it. Someone did a side-by-side comparison to display the detail created by the director.

Will spoiler just in case

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Surprised there was no thread yet. Finally saw it last night. As usual the critics were wrong and the fans were right. This movie is great. If Rami Malek isn't a front runner for an Oscar, the Academy Awards are shit.

The Live Aid stuff nails it. Someone did a side-by-side comparison to display the detail created by the director.

Will spoiler just in case

What’s the point of that exactly? Why not just show the Live Aid footage? In fact, why make or see the movie at all? There are several Queen and Freddie Mercury documentaries. Just watch one of those, the Montreal concert, and the Live Aid footage.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
What’s the point of that exactly? Why not just show the Live Aid footage? In fact, why make or see the movie at all? There are several Queen and Freddie Mercury documentaries. Just watch one of those, the Montreal concert, and the Live Aid footage.
If you saw the movie, you'd know it dives deeper into his history

It's like saying, why watch First Man when Youtube shows the Apollo 11 landing.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Every thing I've seen from it or read about it makes it sound like everything I hate in musical biopics. Musical biopics are like the worst prequels.

"But what shall we call ourselves?"
*Freddie stares at a chess set. Pan in on a queen."

(I don't know if that happens in the movie, but you get my point.)

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Malek really doesn't look much like Mercury, and while that might be easy to overlook with another actor, it's not for me here. I can't seem to get over it.

Not sure Sacha Baron Cohen would be much better (not seen him in a pure drama), but I could see him looking more like Mercury at least.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
If you saw the movie, you'd know it dives deeper into his history

It's like saying, why watch First Man when Youtube shows the Apollo 11 landing.
Yeah but when they do it like that they end up compressing things or making shit up, like he told them he had AIDS before the Live Aid show, they hadn’t played together in months beforehand.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Freddie Mercury may be the greatest rock singer of all time, but he still couldn't poo in the loo.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Hard for me to unsee him as Snafu

But i’ll still watch the queen movie eventually

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The LGBTQXYZ community doesn't like it because there isn't any footage of him blowing people in a London Bathhouse.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
He second guesses choking down a trucker in a bathroom. INTOLERANCE!
It's rated PG-13. And I think you're cheapening out doing a movie about the music industry during that period if it's not Rated R. Not that it needs to be all balls to butts, but I consider it overly sanitized by that very fact. That can put me off it. No offense.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
It's rated PG-13. And I think you're cheapening out doing a movie about the music industry during that period if it's not Rated R. Not that it needs to be all balls to butts, but I consider it overly sanitized by that very fact. That can put me off it. No offense.
Balls to Butts would be a great name for our podcast.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
To me, it all depends on the scope of the movie. If they're really trying to do a true biopic and cover the entirety of Freddie Mercury, then, of course, we're gonna need some man-meat on man-meat action. But, if the plan is to focus on the music side of things I can see ways to allude to his homosexuality without being overly graphic. For instance, they could do the hack scene and have some old music executive lamenting how flamboyant the music and Freddie are and worrying about whether this will harm potential sales. Naturally, he'll say something ignorant but Queen will persevere and prove him wrong...queue up "We Are The Champions" and roll credits. I think there's a fine line they could walk, but they'll probably miss it completely and it'll suck.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
To me, it all depends on the scope of the movie. If they're really trying to do a true biopic and cover the entirety of Freddie Mercury, then, of course, we're gonna need some man-meat on man-meat action. But, if the plan is to focus on the music side of things I can see ways to allude to his homosexuality without being overly graphic. For instance, they could do the hack scene and have some old music executive lamenting how flamboyant the music and Freddie are and worrying about whether this will harm potential sales. Naturally, he'll say something ignorant but Queen will persevere and prove him wrong...queue up "We Are The Champions" and roll credits. I think there's a fine line they could walk, but they'll probably miss it completely and it'll suck.
"We bloody won mate! We are the winners, the victors, the defeaters, the title holders! But how are we ever going to follow it up?"
*Freddy stares at a dryer clonking to the opening claps of 'We Will Rock You'."

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Haven't seen this yet. Was turned off by the PG13 rating. I don't think they had to go all full blown on Freddie's sexuality but he was also known to have been very hedonistic in other ways like throwing parities with strippers and midgets balancing trays of coke an their heads. Also cursed a lot. I wondered why the studio wanted a PG13 as I figured the kids weren't going to be coming out in droves for this. But I guess it's doing pretty well though I don't know which demos are seeing it.

Was hearing major facts were messed with. I don't mind so much slightly bending some facts like the timeline of when certain songs were written. But depicting the band as having broken up and not having played together in "years" when Live Aid rolled around is a bald faced lie. They had just recently finished a tour. Also Freddie telling the rest of the band about his diagnosis before Live Aid was also false (though I get why they had to do that). I get that they wanted Live Aid to be more of a triumphant moment in the film, but they didn't really have to mess with the facts there. Queen was already not in a great place in 85. Their popularity, at least in America, had significantly waned. They also took a considerable amount of heat for some politically questionable performances like Sun City in South Africa during apartheid and perfomances in South America under dictatorships.

Also the firing of the Manager was apparently dramatized as in real life the split was generally amicable. And the way Freddie apparently approached May/Taylor when they were known as "Smile" also false. Freddie knew them already and I think even shared an apartment when either one of both of them.

I know that liberties sometimes need to be taken but it gets annoying when it starts crossing over into fiction. If the facts themselves aren't interesting enough then why bother making the movie in the first place?

I was hoping that this would be a more serious biopic and apparent this isn't. There are plently of documentaries/books about Freddie/Queen, but if they're going to make a movie I'd still prefer generally sticking to the facts and not tiptoe around other things.

I'll probably still end up seeing it if it's still in theaters this weekend. Going to the in laws in PA for a couple of days, so I'll have time on my hands.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
What’s the point of that exactly? Why not just show the Live Aid footage?
Well, in the case of the real Live Aid the footage of it really does look all that great. It's not unwatchable but shot on standard resolution tape. In contrast the Montreal show was shot on film so that defiantly looks better. So I could how a recreation of Live Aid with cinematic production value would be interesting (and I do hear it's very faithfully recreated even down to the placement of cups on Freddie's piano)

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I haven't seen the movie yet either. But from what I have gathered from a music forum that I occasionally visit, there seems to be a divide between the critics and moviegoers who didn't like the film and those who did. One opinion on that divide is this:

"I am seeing a pattern where serious music fans and musicians are liking the movie a lot more than people who only casually care about music and are expecting to see the movie as a drama".

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I watched it the other night. It was decent. It could have been better. Too much about Freddie being gay, not enough about the rest of the band.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
Seen it twice from a bootleg and the wife and I really like it. Doesn't bother me that it doesn't go into Broke Back Stage.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Seen it twice from a bootleg and the wife and I really like it. Doesn't bother me that it doesn't go into Broke Back Stage.
We get it, you're super hetero.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
@maz , If you ever have the happenstance in seeing this movie, is it too gay?

@chumpy , If you should ever see it, is it not gay enough?

@Queen_Bona , if you should ever see it, please realize they aren't royal "Queens" but people in an unsanctioned band.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
Every thing I've seen from it or read about it makes it sound like everything I hate in musical biopics. Musical biopics are like the worst prequels.

"But what shall we call ourselves?"
*Freddie stares at a chess set. Pan in on a queen."

(I don't know if that happens in the movie, but you get my point.)
Try watching a documentary on a famous musician , like the one I saw on Billy Joel awhile back, where the producers didn't want to pony up for the rights to the music so its an hour or two all about one person or band and the only music you hear during transitions is generic public domain fluff like what you'd get while waiting on hold.
It's like if you watched a documentary on a famous artist but wasn't allowed to see any of his paintings

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Hard for me to unsee him as Snafu

But i’ll still watch the queen movie eventually
he was great as Snafu. I dont think the pacific is better than band of brothers in terms of film making or acting but i did like it more because the pacific campaign was way more brutal and dark and they got that tone perfect. You could really feel how brutal it was and how ruthless the japs were

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Prior to watching that, I never paid much attention to the story of WWII in the Pacific

I particularly enjoyed the Pacific though, having worked a bunch out there and in Japan/Okinawa etc it was cool to put the story/campaign together with the random crap I heard about

I actually watched it on the way to and while in Okinawa, made the tourism aspect of the trip much cooler