Boko Haram kills 40 students in Nigeria college dorm

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Damaturu (Nigeria) (AFP) - Boko Haram gunmen on Sunday opened fire in a college dormitory in northeast Nigeria as the students slept, killing 40, in the latest massacre blamed on the Islamist insurgents.

All of the dead were students of the College of Agriculture in the town of Gujba in Yobe state, the area governor said in a statement.

The early morning attack was carried out by "Boko Haram terrorists who went into the school and opened fire on students" while they were sleeping, the military spokesman in Yobe, Lazarus Eli, told AFP.

Salamanu Ibrahim, a 23-year-old student at the college, said dozens of gunmen took part in the killing, bursting into dorm rooms and firing indiscriminately in the dark.

"The attackers went berserk," he told AFP in Yobe's capital Damaturu, some 30 kilometres (18 miles) away, where he fled along with hundreds of other students.

"They were fully armed with sophisticated rifles, and improvised explosives," and razed several college buildings after leaving the dorms, he said.

The office of Yobe Governor Ibrahim Gaidam put the death toll at 40, with four others injured.

In a previously scheduled television interview, President Goodluck Jonathan said he instructed Nigeria's security chiefs "to look at different ways of handling" the insurgency hours after learning of the latest bloodshed.

View gallery."

Map of Nigeria locating an attack in Gujba, near Damaturu, Yobe State (AFP Photo/)

He also voiced exasperation at the targeting of students in the interview broadcast on several networks, saying: "Why did they kill them? ... You can ask and ask."

The European Union's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton called the slaughter "horrific".

Yobe has seen a spate of attacks on schools and universities, all blamed on Boko Haram, an extremist group that has killed hundreds in its four-year insurgency.

The name Boko Haram, loosely translated, means "Western education is forbidden", and the group has become notorious for slaughtering students.

In July in the town of Mamudo in Yobe, Islamists threw explosives and sprayed gunfire into dormitories in the middle of the night, killing 41 students.

Military offensive criticised

The military has described the recent school attacks as a sign of desperation by the Islamists, claiming that they lack the capacity to strike anything but soft targets.

Defence officials have said that an offensive launched against Boko Haram in mid-May has decimated the group and scattered its fighters across remote parts of the northeast, the insurgents' traditional stronghold.

View gallery."

Nigerian troops patrolling in the streets of the remote northeast town of Baga, Borno State, April 3 …

While many of the recent attacks have occurred in more remote areas, often targeting defenceless civilians, the unchecked killing has cast doubt on the success of the military campaign.

"Although there is increase in troop movement and... more military hardware in the northeast, people were yet to see the kind of action on the ground that effectively nips criminal and terrorist activities in the bud," the Yobe governor's statement said.

Scores have been killed this month, including in the northeastern town of Benisheik, where at least 142 people were slaughtered by Boko Haram fighters who came disguised as soldiers, set up checkpoints and fired on motorists and bystanders.

Some of the recent violence has targeted vigilante groups that have formed to help the military.

The northeast remains under a state of emergency imposed on May 14.

The phone network has been switched off in much of the northeast since the emergency measures were declared, a move the military said would help prevent the Islamists from coordinating attacks.

Boko Haram has said it is fighting to create an Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, but the group is believed to be made up of different factions with varying aims.

The group has attacked churches, mosques, newspaper offices, the security forces, politicians and a UN building, among other targets.

According to an estimate made earlier this year, the conflict has cost more than 3,600 lives, including killings by the security forces. The current figure is likely much higher.

Nigeria is Africa's most populous country and top oil producer, roughly divided between the mainly Muslim north and a predominately Christian south.
http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-boko-haram-gunmen-open-fire-college-100741309.html

This is my favorite part:
The name Boko Haram, loosely translated, means "Western education is forbidden"
Fucking savages.

jrsaint

Feb 13, 2006
right behind you
The name Boko Haram, loosely translated, means "Western education is forbidden"
Good, then don't use our weapons or any technology that is better than a rock, ya cocksuckers.
I took a shit today and it looks like mohammad

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Boko Haram doesn't translate as forbidden. Haram is a word used in Muslim religions for things that are religiously forbidden by Allah. So it isn't like...
"Dogs on the beach are forbidden" in that sense. It is more like "Sin against Allah" or "Blasphemy"

Boko means more than "Western Education" as well. The media doesn't want to talk about it, but it basically means the Western Enlightenment Period
and all the advances gained from that.

So a more apt translation would be...

"The Enlightenment is Blasphemy."

Charming people, to be sure. I don't know why everybody keeps saying Islam is a backwards death cult opposed to the 21st century.
There are plenty of "moderate" ones out there.

:rolleyes:

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Boko Haram doesn't translate as forbidden. Haram is a word used in Muslim religions for things that are religiously forbidden by Allah. So it isn't like...
"Dogs on the beach are forbidden" in that sense. It is more like "Sin against Allah" or "Blasphemy"

Boko means more than "Western Education" as well. The media doesn't want to talk about it, but it basically means the Western Enlightenment Period
and all the advances gained from that.

So a more apt translation would be...

"The Enlightenment is Blasphemy."

Charming people, to be sure. I don't know why everybody keeps saying Islam is a backwards death cult opposed to the 21st century.
There are plenty of "moderate" ones out there.

:rolleyes:
Shit, I think I just went to school.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
wait a minute....there are colleges in africa?!?!?
Yeah how else are they suppose to have enough lawyers to handle the large sums of money that need to be sent to us for a small $2000 processing fee

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
So they're like the taliban, welcome to Afghanistan, please set your clock back 2000 years?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
The cool thing about African college's is that there's nothing mock about their slave auction fundraisers.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Any relation to Procol Harum?
That was going to be my thing, but I was going to do Conquistador. Because it's about warriors. And it's deeper. And it rocks harder.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
No, it's nothing like that, because clocks are forbidden.
"I got a great idea Abdul, how about every time you **** a girl, she gets punished?"
"Pure fucking genius, Muhammad! We'll go with it right away!"

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
That was going to be my thing, but I was going to do Conquistador. Because it's about warriors. And it's deeper. And it rocks harder.

Wait isn't that sigil on his sleeves the one from Sleepy Hollow and the Sandman Demon.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You too Boko

Steve McQueen

heartless fuck
May 23, 2006
New York
I really want this to happen in America, preferably at Berkeley or Columbia, just to se how the left will blame it on Republicans/guns/white people.