Bonds' 756 ball to go to hall... WITH asterik

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Over ten million peoples voices have spoken, and the result is that the balco ball is going to the hall with an asteriek! The best part is that the hall is not going to take the weak way out... they are opening their arms to it even with the asteriek, accepting that it is a major part of history, and how the fans felt at this time. KUDOS to Mark Ecko for making sure this is never forgotton! GOD do I wish I was working today to cut photos for this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3036756

Designer to brand asterisk on ball; Hall of Fame to accept it

NEW YORK -- The ball Barry Bonds hit for his record-breaking 756th home run will be branded with an asterisk and sent to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought the ball in an online auction, set up a Web site for fans to vote on the ball's fate, and Wednesday announced the decision to brand it won out over the other options -- sending it to Cooperstown unblemished or launching it into space.

Ecko said he believed the vote to brand the ball showed people thought "this was shrouded in a chapter of baseball history that wasn't necessarily the clearest it could be."

Ecko, whom Bonds called "an idiot'' last week, had the winning bid Sept. 15 in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit Aug. 7 to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price was $752,467, well above most predictions that assumed Bonds' status as a lightning rod for the steroids debate in baseball would depress the value.

Marc Ecko on Barry Bonds
On Tuesday, designer Marc Ecko stopped by SportsNation to chat about his purchase of Barry Bonds' 756th home run ball and his decision to let fans vote on the Internet on what he should do with it. Chat wrap
• Hall to show ball, * and all

The asterisk suggests that Bonds' record is tainted by alleged steroid use. The slugger has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs. Fans brought signs with asterisks on them to ballparks as he neared Aaron's hallowed mark.

Bonds publicist Rachael Vizcarra did not immediately respond to an e-mail sent early Wednesday seeking comment about the ball's fate.

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland was not a fan of the decision.

"I disagree with that totally, because I don't think there should be an asterisk on it," said Leyland, Bonds' first skipper with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Leyland later agreed with a columnist, who said he thought the Hall of Fame was disrespecting Bonds for accepting the ball with the asterisk on it.

Hall of Fame president Dale Petroskey said accepting the ball did not mean the Hall in Cooperstown, N.Y., endorses the viewpoint that Barry Bonds used drugs.

"This ball wouldn't be coming to Cooperstown if Marc hadn't bought it from the fan who caught it and then let the fans have their say," Petroskey told The Associated Press. "We're delighted to have the ball. It's a historic piece of baseball history."

Hall of Fame officials and Ecko are discussing how to affix the asterisk on the ball. It's not yet known when the ball will go on display.
The San Francisco Giants announced Friday they will part with Bonds after this season, the seven-time NL MVP's 15th in San Francisco and 22nd in the majors.

Ecko, known for his pop culture pranks, said he bought the ball and arranged to let the public decide its future online as a way to hold a conversation about a classic American sport in the digital world.

"This is obviously something that struck a chord with fans," Ecko said Wednesday in a phone interview with the AP.

Bonds broke the home run record with a shot into the right-center field seats off Washington Nationals pitcher Mike Bacsik at San Francisco's AT&T Park.

Matt Murphy, a 21-year-old student and construction supervisor from New York, emerged from a scuffle holding the ball. He said he decided to sell it because he couldn't afford to pay the taxes required to keep it.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Marc Ecko, big douche bag or biggest douche bag?

Stick to making shitty clothes for wiggers, your social commentary sucks.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Please elaborate.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
He used that fake 747 spray painting thing as some sort of social commentary/publicity stunt. Then he went on and on about how much video games suck after his video game bombed.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
michael kay just made an interesting point about this during the Yankee game.

what if the hall of fame just positioned the ball so the asterisk doesnt show? that would be funny shit

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Also, the HR ball probably hasn't been hit yet so when Barry retires this ball will be worthless.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Also, the HR ball probably hasn't been hit yet so when Barry retires this ball will be worthless.
Then when A-Rod destroys the "record" we don't have to hear about this anymore.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Then when A-Rod destroys the "record" we don't have to hear about this anymore.
Yeah, Alex is totally aware of his place in history, if he stays healthy he'll know exactly how many HRs he needs per-year.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Yeah, Alex is totally aware of his place in history, if he stays healthy he'll know exactly how many HRs he needs per-year.
No exact numbers untill hopefully Bonds has a stroke and stops playing.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
He used that fake 747 spray painting thing as some sort of social commentary/publicity stunt. Then he went on and on about how much video games suck after his video game bombed.
You're somewhat lacking any real elaboration as to why, and only stating things he has done. With that, I leave the issue dead. I can pretty much see where this is going to go.

As for bonds and A-rod, I can't wait until he buries Bonds record. You guys think he is going to get picked up by any teams in the off season? I also am starting to think that maybe Prince Fielder might have a chance of doing it too. It's still really early to predict that, but he is definitely going to a a 500+ guy.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
You're somewhat lacking any real elaboration as to why, and only stating things he has done. With that, I leave the issue dead. I can pretty much see where this is going to go.

As for bonds and A-rod, I can't wait until he buries Bonds record. You guys think he is going to get picked up by any teams in the off season? I also am starting to think that maybe Prince Fielder might have a chance of doing it too. It's still really early to predict that, but he is definitely going to a a 500+ guy.
ARod's not going anywhere. And Ecko's long been known as trying to get attention, this has little to do with Bonds.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Obviously he did it for attention but the fact that he did it is fucking awesome to me.

Eat a dick Barry Bonds.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Nah, this one has some value because it's the one that passed Aaron. All the ones he's hit since then till the last one are worthless.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!

mmmmmm wonder if he will be wearing a red sox uniform while he smacks the record breaking home-run, hopefully we will be playing the yankees at the time,,,,that would be greeeeaaaat:action-sm

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
mmmmmm wonder if he will be wearing a red sox uniform while he smacks the record breaking home-run, hopefully we will be playing the yankees at the time,,,,that would be greeeeaaaat:action-sm
I'd say at this point there's a better chance of Eric Gagne winning world series MVP than there is of ARod leaving.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
wow man... the more you post, the more amusing it gets. A-rod is more than likely getting the hell out of dodge.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
Hmm Yankee fans want A-rod to stay now? When the season started you couldn't find one Yankee fan that wanted to keep A-rod around. I wonder if their opinion will change again if he struggles in the post season...

Hopefully the ball will have a bunch asterisks.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Hmm Yankee fans want A-rod to stay now? When the season started you couldn't find one Yankee fan that wanted to keep A-rod around. I wonder if their opinion will change again if he struggles in the post season...

Hopefully the ball will have a bunch asterisks.
Most non-idiot non-fans since 96 Yankee fans wanted him to stay.

Mainly because he's the best player of this generation, and most people understand that.

Also, Sobi, I'd like a good reason why he's leaving. Please, enlighten me.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Oh yeah? What position will you be playing?

Steam

May 18, 2003
Here's what I said last year right after the playoff loss:

Steam said:
Well considering that the Angels offered both Santana and Erick Aybar to the Orioles for Tejada I think that the Yankees would be able to get the same offer depending on what they do with the contracts involved. I don't think it would be that much of a problem since Moreno has the money to spend anyway and always loves to get him some Latin players.

With that being said, I hope they don't do it. Something about me isn't ready to pull the plug on the ARod situation yet.
A lot of other people wanted to get him the fuck out of town and really, who are you to blame them after the performance that he put on. I couldn't give up on him too soon just based on the fact that he was the best player in baseball and it HAD to work out. With that being said, despite his awesome year, I'm more happy they didn't do my envisioned trade because Santana has sucked hard.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004

Mainly because he's the best player of this generation, and most people understand that.

I'm just going with what i read and heard from people here in NY before the season started. If you want, go to the Yankee thread and on the very first page you'll find a few replies by those "idiot fans" who wanted A-rod gone, i bet they're singing a different tune now...

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Him leaving isn't definite in my mind, but I think the chance of him staying put are slim. There is rumours galore about Boras already feeling out the potential Cubs buyers. Then there is the fact that he had no interest in talking with the yanks to resign before his contract was up. Thirdly, did you miss the past few years with just about every single person in the media in NY beating him up. Trust me. The LAST thing I want is for him to leave. I never thought he should go, but I have always thought he could do better in a small market team. The fact is that he doesn't handle pressure well. Look at how he did when the team was taking a dump and all eyes were off him at the begining of the season. I don't know. It just feels to me like it's a 95% sealed deal for him to go to any team other than the yanks. I hope he stays, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
MLB also came out and said any potential cub owner that's talked to ANY free agent before the end of the year will have their bid thrown out.

He didn't turn down the extension talks, Boras did. But Boras knows where he'll get the most money from. Remember, 30mil to (insert team) is 20.5mil to the Yankees thanks to the money Tom Hicks is still giving them.

And, end of the day, Boras works for Alex. Alex is running around saying things like, “This feels like home. It’s hard to believe that I played for another two organizations. So much has happened to me here, adversity, some success, that I feel like anything but New York feels weird for me now.” It's not like he's saying he's going to keep his options open or anything.