Book Reviews...read anything good lately?

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
I know this is a bit of a stretch topic for this crowd but other than Happy Endings has anyone read any good books lately?

I just finished one called Good Cops, Bad Verdict about two Detroit cops convicted of murdering a cracked out loser back in 92.

Personal ties to the situation aside, it was an awesome read.

But what do I read now? Any suggestions Baggers?

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
If you're in the mood for some uplifting/funny books check out some stuff by Christopher Moore

very funny stuff...twisted in a fun way.

Pahlaniuk is always a fun read...check out Choke by him or his most recent book, Rant

greensnacks

Dec 20, 2004
Op was right. The Chinese are coming!

China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future -- and the Challenge for America

The first couple chapters were a bore, but the rest of it was very interesting. They go over the piracy problems in China, their peoples 6 day of week work schedule at 16 hours per day, Chinas search for energy (Darfur!), their environment (dumping toxic waste into their own rivers), etc, etc.

Very interesting read.

I'm currently working on Allen Greenspans new book, perhaps the most powerful person in the world. A bit dry, but interesting.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Elmore Leonard's - Up In Honey's Room

and

No Excuses by Charlie Weis (former Notre Dame coach)

Got 'em both from the Big Ass Prize Closet and they can be all yours - just make me an offer.

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Dec 11, 2004
Lakewood, CO

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
What is the What by Dave Eggers, it's the story of a Sudanese refugee, that's a great book.

If this is a Man by Primo Levi, he was a holocaust survivor this book is about his time in the caps, the sequel called The Truce is also good, it's about his journey home after he was liberated.

killer_penguins

Dec 6, 2004
PA
If you're in the mood for some uplifting/funny books check out some stuff by Christopher Moore

Pahlaniuk is always a fun read...check out Choke by him or his most recent book, Rant
i have to agree with Christopher Moore. i've read almost all of his books. pretty funny.

Choke, was something i was told i wouldn't like. but, i did. the old lesbian at the bookstore said it was more of a "guy book" because of all the "sexual content" and such. ah fuck her. i thought it was good. also, Invisable Monsters is fucking good.

GoatAss

"Girls Like a Man With a Sharp Hairdo"
Oct 3, 2005
Pennsylvania
at the risk of sounding gay, I read Water for Elephants. It was pretty fucking good. i would recommend it.

robertkeys

there is a lot of gash walking around today
Dec 3, 2004
for humor i would sugest anything by flann obrien or pg wodehouse. the greatest book ever written (in my opinion) cancer ward by Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Dec 11, 2004
Lakewood, CO
Ghost Soldiers - basically about a prison break in the Phillipines during WW2. I think it was made into a movie, but the book is just incredible.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Soldiers-Account-Greatest-Mission/dp/038549565X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4656382-8295339?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191527946&sr=8-1
Great book, and another really good one is called Secret Soldiers. It's about the soldiers that were actors, artists, and sound guys that set up decoy battalions and other stuff during WWII.
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Soldiers-American-Designers-Deception/dp/0452283884

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

I've read all of Moore's books. The best, I think, is Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Very twisted, a lot of fun, totally sacrilege but in a respectful way.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Even more surprising was that his second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns was just as good. http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hosseini-books.html

I mentioned on one of the other threads that the John Corey series of books by Nelson DeMille are good as well. I think Corey was introduced in Plum Island, which was a real page turner. My favorite though is The Lion's Game.
http://www.nelsondemille.net/

I also loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter http://www.memorykeepersdaughter.com/
On the surface it seems like a real chick book (and maybe it is), but it goes deeper than that - how one person's actions have an effect on the lives of so many others.

I'm a bookworm, so I could go on but I won't .

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Recently read Break No Bones, by Kathy Reichs, the chick whose life and job inspired the show Bones on FOX. Pretty decent read.

Swamp CAve

aka Fuzzy Dunlop
Jan 27, 2005
Chapel Hill, NC
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Amazon review:
http://www.amazon.com/Tipping-Point-Little-Things-Difference/dp/0316346624/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7769757-3838406?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191557778&sr=8-1

Killer Angels by Michael Schaara
- Historical fiction about the battle of Gettysburg.

How to Lose a Battle: Foolish Plans and Great Military Blunders Bill Fawcett
- Examines the mistakes of the losers from major battles throughout history.

The Corner by David Simon
- Spends a year in inner city Baltimore following some of the residents around. Its a sociological study that reads like a novel. If you watch "The Wire" on HBO you'll see a lot of the same ideas.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
Elmore Leonard's - Up In Honey's Room
Being from Detroit I've already read all of Leonard's books. You just have too. Just like you have to watch every Coppola, Bruckheimer, Corman or Raimi movie. And know every lyric to all Motown, Iggy, Alice Cooper, Kid Rock, Eminiem or White Stripes song. And watch every stupid episode of Mork & Mindy, JAG & Home Improvment.
It's stupid but It's Detroit.

ashteven

Jan 26, 2005
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" by Jean-Dominique Bauby. He wrote the book while in the hospital after having a stroke and was completely paralyzed, except for the use of one eye. He "dictated" the book by blinking; each blink represented a letter of the alphabet. It was recently made into a movie.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Tao Te Ching: The Book and Meaning of Life by Lao Tzu
(read it before, but not for a few years)

Feb 4, 2005
Some of my favorites...

Fatherland by Robert Harris
- An alternate-history fiction novel about a triumphant Third Reich; takes place in 1964. Chilling read.

Arc Light by Eric L. Harry
- "Starts out with nuclear war...then the action really starts!" Awesome book about a chilling US/Russian confrontation and post-nuclear invasion.

The Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
- Not like the movies at all, but awesome books nevertheless.

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
- My favorite techno-thriller of all time. I've re-read this one hundreds of times. Hard to put down!

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
Some of my favorites...

Fatherland by Robert Harris
- An alternate-history fiction novel about a triumphant Third Reich; takes place in 1964. Chilling read.
loved that book...but talk about an awkward read on the train...

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
- My favorite techno-thriller of all time. I've re-read this one hundreds of times. Hard to put down!
I think this one is my favorite Clancy novel

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Being from Detroit I've already read all of Leonard's books. You just have too. Just like you have to watch every Coppola, Bruckheimer, Corman or Raimi movie. And know every lyric to all Motown, Iggy, Alice Cooper, Kid Rock, Eminiem or White Stripes song. And watch every stupid episode of Mork & Mindy, JAG & Home Improvment.
It's stupid but It's Detroit.
Now I'm about 8 miles north of Detroit, but I still consider myself up on Detroit things. Nothing, however, could make me watch JAG.