Books you've read multiple times

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I know I'm going to be one of the worst culprits of this, but what book(s) make you keep dipping back into that well?

I've read the Stand four times I think.
I can't even count the number of times I have read the Dragonlance Chronicles.
The first six Drizzt books have three reads on them.
I've read all the Honor Harrington books at least twice. Most three times.
Multiple reads on most of the Ring of Fire/1632 books.

I know there must be more.

Apr 7, 2011
Mordor
Ditto on Dragonlance and Drizzt.

Let's see, I've read David Eddings' Belgariad probably more than any other book series. They're not revolutionary or groundbreaking, but the warmth and good humour he puts into everything he writes is addictive. They were an enormous part of my youth, so I've more or less memorized them word for word by now. I've read Anne McCaffrey's first three Pern books more times Than I'd care to count. I've reread the Wheel of time series a few times, if only to get up to speed between new releases. Jesus, I need a bigger book case.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
"Into Thin Air" about the Everest disaster.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I've read quite a few Star Wars series multiple times. The Thrawn series at least three times.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
I tend to read the books I teach multiple times, but here are a few that I read over and over anyways:

1) Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (It helps ground me and remind me that murder is wrong)
2) Yevgeny Zamyatin's We (The first true dystopia...simply brilliant from beginning to end)
3) Homer's The Iliad (Because it's more than just a war story)
4) Beowulf (Great adventure, but even better philosophy)
5) Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (So much variety, so much humor, so much depth)
6) Hermann Hesse The Glass Bead Game

I'll stop here. Like most of you, I'm only scratching the surface.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
1) Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (It helps ground me and remind me that murder is wrong)
2) Yevgeny Zamyatin's We (The first true dystopia...simply brilliant from beginning to end)
3) Homer's The Iliad (Because it's more than just a war story)
4) Beowulf (Great adventure, but even better philosophy)
5) Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (So much variety, so much humor, so much depth)
6) Hermann Hesse The Glass Bead Game
"OHhhhhhh, fancy books. Fancy books from a whore."

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Recently World War Z and The Passage. I will also be reading Ready Player One again in the near future, either as part of the Wackbag book club or on my own.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
DrewDown The only one on your list I've actually read is The Iliad. Though I did read the Odyssey.

Apr 7, 2011
Mordor
I'm on my second read-through of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and Glen Cook's enormous Black Company series. Goodkind gets a bit preachy and pedantic on occasion but when he's good, he's REALLY good. Even if the end of Confessor sucked a fat one.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm on my second read-through of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and Glen Cook's enormous Black Company series. Goodkind gets a bit preachy and pedantic on occasion but when he's good, he's REALLY good. Even if the end of Confessor sucked a fat one.
Black company is one of the series I have on standby.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I rarely reread books... there's just too many I haven't gotten to yet. The general exception is I started rereading assigned books from high school, because I was too busy staring at young tits and ass back then to enjoy the novels.

A few outside of the exception listed above:

Catcher in the Rye - 3 times
The Stand - 3 times
The Passage - Twice
The Holy Bible - 42 times

I will be rereading The Dark Tower series whenever/if ever the show/movies get off the ground.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Read everything King has ever published at least twice with the exception of Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story and Duma Key. The one I've read the most is Bachman Books, have probably done that 6 or 7 times.

Read ASOIAF three times

A bunch of others twice. I love rereading a great book when enough time has passed.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
It's My Birthday!
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Black company is one of the series I have on standby.
I made it through 5 books or so of the Black Company. I have mixed feeling about the series. Half the time, I was like this is awesome and the other half I was like this kinda sucks. I put it in the same category as ASoIaF.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
It's My Birthday!
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Read everything King has ever published at least twice with the exception of Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story and Duma Key. The one I've read the most is Bachman Books, have probably done that 6 or 7 times.

Read ASOIAF three times

A bunch of others twice. I love rereading a great book when enough time has passed.
Don't forget Xenocide. :action-sm

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Is Khan in that one?
It's not fucking Khan!

And I thought the moral of Crime and Punishment is that superior humans can commit murder, but Raskalnikov wasn't a superior human.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I know I'm going to be one of the worst culprits of this, but what book(s) make you keep dipping back into that well?

I've read the Stand four times I think.
I lost track of how many times I read the abridged and unabridged versions of this when I was younger.

Hitchhiker's series (the 4 book version)
The Dirk Gently books
Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Survivor
Siddhartha
Not quite a book, but I've read the entire run of Transmetropolitan probably 4 or 5 times
The Dirt
Chaos
Five Equations That Changed the World
American Psycho
Good Omens
The Prince

I'm sure there's more, but I'm not going to dig through boxes just for that.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I've read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" about 10 times, to no avail.