Booting laptop of USB hard disk w/ Win XP

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Here's the deal. I have a company laptop (that I am typing on now). I can use it for personal stuff, but can't get too crazy installing things on it. I have a laptop that's a few years old but is acting up. I upgraded said laptop not too long ago with a 60GB 7200 RPM drive. I have pulled that drive and installed it in an external USB 2.0 chassis. I want to boot my company laptop off the USB drive and basically use it as a personal computer.

The drive from my old laptop is bootable, has WinXP installed, and should be ready to go. But, I can't get this thing to even try and boot from it. I have the option in the BIOS to have it boot off a USB hard disk, and I also can hit F9 at POST and it'll let me select the boot device. I pick USB hard disk and get a black screen with a cursor in the top left.

I know I gotta sort out device manager and get the correct drivers for the different hardware, but the thing should at least be able to boot, heck even try to boot.

Anything simple I could be missing?

Bobobie

You still might need a boot manager because Laptop BIO's are weird. They have hidden partitions and sometimes they boot differantly than desktops. I'd try doing a fresh install on the external drive and see if that works. The boot manager in XP might straighten everything out. Anyway, you are booting from a drive that was installed on another computer with different hardware. You would end up booting into safe mode anyway.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
It appears that WinXP is not bootable off a USB device. Apparently you can do some things to make a bootable thumb drive. But, that's not what I am looking for.

6DollarDrunk

Put baby in container with snake
It appears that WinXP is not bootable off a USB device. Apparently you can do some things to make a bootable thumb drive. But, that's not what I am looking for.
I guess you found out already. I've tried so many different ways to make an xp machine boot off a thumb drive. Even copied an install cd to it and made it bootable didn't work. I think its because theres no standard yet on thumb drives. So, each bios manufacturer has their own way of annoying you.

Top Bottom