Boozing at work-How many is too many?

AJellyDonut

They're paying for it, you eat it!
Dec 13, 2004
Queens, NY
A bunch of us went out to lunch today during business hours to bid farewell to one of our coworkers that was leaving for another job. Everyone had one alcoholic drink, I had three. Instead of ordering coffee I ordered my third beer. That was a little awkward but hey whatever. I was also one of the people driving which didn't help. There was a few big screen tvs near our table that were playing Fox news. They jumped to stock footage of someone sniffing coke and I stated loud enough to get everyone's attention "you gotta love fox news." From some of the looks I got I think I left a pretty bad impression on some of my coworkers who probably now think I'm a lush and coke head. Not far from the truth but still... I was just being myself and trying to loosen up the tension a bit. I'm sure some of you can relate to how awkward these types of work events can be.

Anyone else go a little too far at work, whether it be drinking during some event or party or just letting your true colors show a little too much in front of coworkers?

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
i will usually only have one while on the clock. It's not worth losing your job over

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
One drink nowadays is responsible, unless you're a blue collar guy, then fuck it.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Never drink more than 1 at lunch. Show some responsility.

I wouldn't get drunk with any of them at any time anyway, no matter what time. I don't trust easily.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Have to jump on the one and done bandwagon. If that's to hard then don't have any.

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Sep 5, 2005
HOUSTON
You should have busted out a few lines, that would loosen them up.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
So I guess your not really bucking for a promotion with your current company.

Was your Boss there?

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
do what the others do...if they only have one then you only have one...when drinking on lunch with coworkers you should follow the group...
your comment wasnt out of line but you didnt need to be loud about it...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i have to go with the none and done, ill have a coke, i know longer drink at company functions or during work hours, hell i dont even really like to drink during the week any more. that being said, ive been there and done that, it cost me a decent job ( among other things, like a supervisor that was a tweeker) that and quite frankly im a drunk. im not ashamed to tell people that either, its actually my favorite excuse. often my boss will ask me if i want to go out after work drinking, and quite frankly im a borderline alcoholic. and yes i have a blue collar job, and yes most of us are drunks, i just hate going back into work loaded, i could kill someone. i also warn people that when i stop there's really no stopping it so there going to have to drive me home, most of my work friends know this now and don't bug me about it any more, those that do get the "im a drunk and really shouldn't start" speech. its kind of funny the reactions of people, they either don't care, or get all funny question asking, and i answer there questions. it makes for great conversations. things ive pissed on and such

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
One and done. Especially if you're driving coworkers. I'm not sure I would get into a car with a coworker that had 3 beers over the course of lunch, unless it was at least a 2 or 3 hour lunch.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Rule of thumb for me has always been When in Rome...

I've worked places where you looked like an insane person for ordering one beer, then I found mortgage... More than once a beer at lunch ended up with our boss buying us shots and just saying screw the afternoon, we're staying at the bar.

Depends on the coworkers and office environment man.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
It depends on the co-workers/boss. If they're back-stabbing, politicing, looking-to-climb-up-the-ladder-by-yanking-down-the-person-above-them, then stay as sober as possible.

If everybody just really gets along and especially if the boss is drinking, you follow suit within reason unless you have a good excuse not to. If you don't drink, and you don't have a good reason, sometimes it backfires and people think you are looking down on them for drinking.

Either way, three drinks at lunch is too much if you're expected to actually get work done the rest of the afternoon.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Call me crazy, but if you have to wonder what your limit and tolerance is as an adult.... you may not be one.

I'd only have a beer at lunch with bosses, just because I don't want shit ever thrown in my face.
If it's co-workers that I'm good with... maybe six. heh

If it's co-workers who are smarmy and backstabbing office politic lovers... what are you doing trying to eat with them anyways :p

The only time I've ever had too much to drink while on the clock was at a collection job.
I got into a racially motivated fight with a black dude for telling me to... "Stay outta this shit, you white man".
I spun that dudes jaw around his head like daffy ducks bill.
The head of the company broke us apart and fired the jig on the spot, called the cops on him, told the cops I wasn't around or involved, and invited me into his office for shots of jim beam out of one of those huge gallon jugs.
We proceeded to get smashed, to the point I didnt drive home that night and I just went into an alcohol coma in the office.
It probably helped me get the promotion a few weeks later.

Mar 17, 2006
I have an uncle who told me how he used to take clients out for lunch. Anyway - as they were ordering drinks and getting sloshed, he was ordering this drink (I forgot what it was called...something like a Brooklyn Bridge or something like that) that looked like a "drink" but had no booze in it.

That way, the other guys let their guard down, thinking he was getting drunk with them, while he was stone cold sober and making deals with them. Needless to say (needless to say), it worked out well for him. :)

Hottub

On the Trading Block? Not this Ham n Egger!
Apr 30, 2005
Jersey
When you have a home and a family to tend to, your perspective changes a bit. Was that 3rd beer really all that important?
Time to grow up. When you get home you can suck down all you want.

Poor judgement.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
Lets be realistic, unless you drink like once a month one drink is pointless, especially beer, unless you haven't eaten and have a really low tolerance. I guess it depends how close you are to your coworkers, and how long the lunch was. I dont think there's a problem with two beers, but three looks like your working towards drunk especially when everyone else had one

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Never worth being the "way more than everyone guy" during business hours. Probably worth keeping pace with your coworkers, unless you really don't care or it really won't affect your job.

I had a beer during a job interview once, but it was at a restaurant and I let him order first. Got the job too.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Lets be realistic, unless you drink like once a month one drink is pointless, especially beer, unless you haven't eaten and have a really low tolerance. I guess it depends how close you are to your coworkers, and how long the lunch was. I dont think there's a problem with two beers, but three looks like your working towards drunk especially when everyone else had one
One drink is pointless if you are trying to get drunk. Personally, I love the taste of a good beer so one drink isn't necessarily pointless if I am just enjoying it. Gotta agree with you on the third one, especially at lunch

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee
I work for the state gov't (ok, it's on a golf course, but it's still state owned) so we can't drink on the clock, obviously. Several of us will go out and get hammered on occasion after work, though. It all depends on the group you are drinking with I guess.

AJellyDonut

They're paying for it, you eat it!
Dec 13, 2004
Queens, NY
Call me crazy, but if you have to wonder what your limit and tolerance is as an adult.... you may not be one.
I know my tolerance and three beers isn't close to it. I guess the question is do I really want any of my co-workers to know that? I've been with the company for over 5 years (white collar job) and already have proven my worth and that I handle responsibility well. There aren't many people there I can relate to anymore. Another words I don't really give a shit what the new people think, including my new boss, who was also in attendance. He seems like a burnout anyhow, so he shouldn't even count. It probably wasn't the best decision I've made but at the same time it wasn't like I was getting sloppy. I have heard stories of people getting so trashed during business functions that they have smashed into buffet tables and shit. I don't think it was along those lines at all, but it seems anything over one drink is pushing the limits in the work environment, according to most of you. Next time maybe I 'll try to limit it to one, but that's gonna be really difficult and make for a really boring afternoon.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
have a beer and order an irish coffee with desert, that works right? :)