Border Crossings Drop Sharply

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Campaign rhetoric to the contrary, statistics show that the number of illegal immigrants crossing the border is less of a problem now than it has been for four decades.

While presidential candidates talk about how to secure the United States-Mexico border, data show that their focus might instead be on dealing in a positive way with the millions of illegal immigrants already here. Apprehensions by the United States Border Patrol are at their lowest level since the Nixon era, according to unofficial statistics from the agency that The Washington Post reported this month.

A sour economy, increased enforcement by the Border Patrol and skyrocketing smuggling fees are keeping more would-be crossers at home.

In 2010, the Border Patrol apprehended about 448,000 illegal immigrants on the Southwest border, roughly 93,000 fewer than in 2009. This year, apprehensions have dipped by more than 25 percent, to 327,500.

There are now 10.2 million illegal immigrant adults in the country and another 1 million illegal minors, according to data released this month by the Pew Hispanic Center. The center estimates that 35 percent of those adults have been in the country 15 years or longer, compared with 16 percent in 2000. Conversely, only 15 percent have been in the country five years or less, compared with 32 percent in 2000.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Less arrests =/= less people coming in illegally.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Less arrests =/= less people coming in illegally.
Have their methods or resources changed significantly enough to explain the difference? If not, it sure does equal exactly that.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Have their methods or resources changed significantly enough to explain the difference? If not, it sure does equal exactly that.
All it means is less people are getting caught. It could be because of lax law enforcement efforts, reduced budget, or increased craftiness or different tactics by smugglers.

Either way, less arrests =/= less attempts.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
All it means is less people are getting caught. It could be because of lax law enforcement efforts,
There's significantly more border agents now than ever before.

reduced budget,
There's been more money budgeted for it than ever before.

or increased craftiness or different tactics by smugglers.
In the article it mentioned that coyotes have "skyrocketed" their fees for smuggling people across the border. According to free market principles, doesn't that mean demand is down and/or it's getting harder for them accomplish the same thing?

Either way, less arrests =/= less attempts.
Also affecting less attempts is the lack of jobs and the crash in the housing market. Construction jobs have been one of the largest employers of illegals and that industry still hasn't recovered.

bedhumper

Oct 9, 2011
There are now 10.2 million illegal immigrant adults in the country and another 1 million illegal minors, according to data released this month by the Pew Hispanic Center.
Mexicans must think gringos are as dumb as they are to buy that nonsense.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Look at partycock backing me up with facts and sound arguments. Way to go, buddy.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
They're building tunnels all the time now. Thats probably their best way across. Even a 30 ft concrete wall may not work. Unless they dig down a 40-50 ft foundation
I say build the wall anyway. From Brownsville to San Diego. Put a superhighway on top. Maybe some hotels & theatres. Make the very bottom of the foundation hollow enough for a person to walk and take XRay pix under the wall to look for tunnels.

Then round up every beaner inside the USA and tax the shit out of them like the rest of us.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Then round up every beaner inside the USA and tax the shit out of them like the rest of us.
Damn it. When I saw that "round up", I thought you'll have the balls to finish that sentence the way you really want to finish it.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Damn it. When I saw that "round up", I thought you'll have the balls to finish that sentence the way you really want to finish it.
Yeah but his was funnier being that it's Wackbag and it's unexpected and why the fuck did apple autocap Wackbag

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Are the crossing stats based on recorded arrests?

Chris Crane, president of a union that represents Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, testified in the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration last week that ICE agents have been told by ICE headquarters not to arrest illegal aliens who do not have a prior criminal conviction even if they are fugitives who have been ordered deported by an immigration judge or are individuals who have illegally re-entered the United States after being deported and thus have perpetrated a felony.
[video=youtube;EIHOX2ucH4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHOX2ucH4Y[/video]

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
I'd like to see some more graphs and charts on the subject, please.

(preferably of the ''pie'' variety)