OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Bounce In My Floor

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Special Eddie, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Special Eddie

Special Eddie I'M A VIOLENT EXTREMIST!

I have a bounce issue with my living room floor.
    My floor is a 20' x 12' Oak strip floor held up by 2" x 8" x 12' joists at 16" OC and I have full access underneath.

What minimum size beam do I need to install down the middle with only 3 supports along the entire 20' run to get rid of the bounce? I would like the middle support to be 12' from one end.

I'm thinking three or four - 2" x 8" with 1/2" plywood sandwiched, glued and nailed together should be good.

Anybody know for sure?

2. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Go down to your local building supply... tell them your conditions and they can size a beam/posts accordingly.

I would think you should be able to get away with some LVL or similar....

3. Special Eddie

Thanks, the LVL's start at 9.25" but I'm looking at no more than 7.25" deep.
    That's why I would Lam it myself, but I will check with the Lumber yard for options.

edit - I found they do make 7.25" beams, I will look into cost now. - edit

4. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

If you are worried about height... you might be able to get away with sistering joists to your existing... if you are worried about height... a lot more work obviously.

Also the LVL's you can get up 48'... so a 20' should not be an issue.

And building supply like a lumber place not a home center... as they have computer programs that work with whatever companies LVL product they carry.

5. Special Eddie

I did do the sistering but it had little effect on the bounce. Pissed me off.
    I'm thinking I should have glued a piece of 1/2" plywood between them before I nailed them together.

6. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Is the plywood tight to the joists? If not go get some trim head screws... predrill and screw down from the top.

7. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

Sister 10's next to the eights. 8" is not floor joists. Simply cut a notch in the ends to set on foundation. Only lose 2" ceiling height and have floor properly supported. If you're putting posts under floor they need a footing under them and not just set on the floor.

8. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

If you are really concerned about height... I would prob put a steel beam in with a post in the middle with the appropriate footing under the post.

9. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

You need a triple 2x10 beam to carry a 12 foot span with 20 feet of width according to the beam span table.

10. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

He is worried about ceiling height in the basement... that is why I was suggesting some engineered product or steel.