Bowling Ball

Clint

Jan 26, 2005
Lubbock, TEXAS
I'm wanting to start bowling on a league with the guys from work but I don't know what kind of ball to buy. I don't want to waste my money on a bad ball. Any bowlers out there that can offer up some suggestions?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'd suggest a round one with 3 holes in it that weighs about 15 lbs...

If you were talking pool cues I'd be able to help, but bowling balls... Is there a difference?

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
I've bowled before but not regularly. I've never owned my own ball, I just used the ones that the bowling alley had there.
Since you're just getting into league play and you've only used house balls, I'd suggest just going to the pro shop and asking someone in there. My preference is Brunswick, I've used them forever, but if you're just getting into it brands probably won't make a huge difference for what you're looking for. If you throw anything more than a straight ball ask if he'll watch you throw a few shots and he'll probably be able to help. They help where I bowl, try to go when the pro shop is open and it's not so busy, that would be your best bet to get him to spend a few minutes with you. Good luck.

Clint

Jan 26, 2005
Lubbock, TEXAS
Since you're just getting into league play and you've only used house balls, I'd suggest just going to the pro shop and asking someone in there. My preference is Brunswick, I've used them forever, but if you're just getting into it brands probably won't make a huge difference for what you're looking for. If you throw anything more than a straight ball ask if he'll watch you throw a few shots and he'll probably be able to help. They help where I bowl, try to go when it's not so busy, that would be your best bet to get him to spend a few minutes with you. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice.

Valk

Spreading the Virus on NJ GSP 91 to 148
Aug 20, 2006
Point Pleasant, NJ
The most important question here is do you throw a straight ball or a curve? Second would be how much do ya wanna spend? I've been bowling in leagues since I could wipe my own ass (2006).

Clint

Jan 26, 2005
Lubbock, TEXAS
The most important question here is do you throw a straight ball or a curve? Second would be how much do ya wanna spend? I've been bowling in leagues since I could wipe my own ass (2006).
I'd like to be able to throw a curve but every time I try with a house ball, it never ends with pins being knocked down. I was told it is due to the house ball which I think is part of the problem but my lack of talent in this sport has a lot to do with it. I figured if I bought my own ball that I would be motivated to practice more. So to answer your question, curve ball would be my goal and about $150-200 for a ball would be my price range.

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
In that price range, something like Brunswick Vapor Zone or Columbia Rival would probably be ok. they should be around 115-125. If you buy it at the proshop where you're bowling they'll drill it for free. If you order it online you'll probably be able to get it cheaper, but they'll charge you to drill it, at least that's how it usually works. No need to spend 200 on a ball right now being it's your first one. if youy looking to spend that much, buy your ball/bag/shoes and other shit at once.

Valk

Aug 20, 2006
Point Pleasant, NJ
Ok, if ya wanna throw a hook heres what ya gotta do. First ya need to get your new ball drilled for fingertip inserts. This will take some getting used too, but its the only way. Start with a ball thats abit lighter than ya usually use (maybe a pound lighter). Look for a ball named "Quantum". They have some models that have a "mushroom" shaped core, this will help your curve bigtime and they hit like a truck. They have several in your price range. MAKE SURE ya get it drilled by someone at a proshop that knows their ass from a hole in the ground! There is a special way these need to be drilled to help your hook, if done wrong it will fuck up your curve instead. Heres some examples: http://www.bowlingball.com/bowling/cat29/Quantum

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
depends on how you throw, definately talk to the guy at the shop in the alley. hell have you throw a bunch of times and that will help determine the type and weight that works for you.

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee

Christ, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to bring up the Big Lebowski. Two hours is entirely too long.

As for the purpose of the thread. This may sound really stupid, but make sure that your ball is drilled for proper hand (if you plan to throw a curve). I bought a new ball a few years ago and the dumbass in the pro shop drilled it for a right handed throw (I'm a lefty) and it completely fucked me up. Something to do with internal weights or something.

Big Dick Mcgee

Apr 3, 2005
Lynchburg VA
Eight year olds dude. Try listening to a tape of pins being knocked down while laying on a rug stolen from a fake millionaire.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
If you just starting out get a midrange balls as talked about in previous posts. And definlatly go Finger grips and a master grip glove. As for the brand of ball right now really no difference. Get as little "Pin out as possible", Don't try to monster hook it at first. That comes later maybe even next year, Get a good 4 step approach down and a consistent swing. When he drills it just tell him a non-aggressive drill with the pin at about high noon. Also spend the dough and get a good pair of shoes Dexter SST's with the replaceable sole are great.

As for you swing. Don't force it let the arm swing like a pedulam of a clock. For more speed or lees speed use your leggs and approach. Get you finger at the bottom of the ball as so the thumb rolls out 1stand than it lets off the fingers. "Otherwise called getting under the ball" and follow thru very important. once you get that down I give you the proper steps for a hook. BTW I am a 204 book avg. in 5 leagues...3 money 2 fun

Clint

Jan 26, 2005
Lubbock, TEXAS
If you just starting out get a midrange balls as talked about in previous posts. And definlatly go Finger grips and a master grip glove. As for the brand of ball right now really no difference. Get as little "Pin out as possible", Don't try to monster hook it at first. That comes later maybe even next year, Get a good 4 step approach down and a consistent swing. When he drills it just tell him a non-aggressive drill with the pin at about high noon. Also spend the dough and get a good pair of shoes Dexter SST's with the replaceable sole are great.

As for you swing. Don't force it let the arm swing like a pedulam of a clock. For more speed or lees speed use your leggs and approach. Get you finger at the bottom of the ball as so the thumb rolls out 1stand than it lets off the fingers. "Otherwise called getting under the ball" and follow thru very important. once you get that down I give you the proper steps for a hook. BTW I am a 204 book avg. in 5 leagues...3 money 2 fun
Thank you Gen and everyone else for the help. I think I am going to go with the Brunswick Fury Pearl. From the website I looked at, it received good ratings and it's in my price range. Again, thanks for the help and I'll report back on how I do with it.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
Thank you Gen and everyone else for the help. I think I am going to go with the Brunswick Fury Pearl. From the website I looked at, it received good ratings and it's in my price range. Again, thanks for the help and I'll report back on how I do with it.
good choice to start. Just look for a small pin out maybe 2-3 inches when buying. Ask for that any less the ball tend to stay straight, anymore you might have more trouble with ball control. Also when drilling pin at high noon (for now) later onvce you comphy with you swing. Get a Black widow with about 4-6 on the pin out and when drilling the pin goes to about 2- 2:30 that will give you some killer backend when it is thrown properly.

And get this glove no other http://www.bowling.com/products/master-deluxe-wrist-glove.htm

Screw all those robbies rev and adjustable metal plates. This Glove I swear by the outter fingers give a better grip and awesome wrist support.

Valk

Aug 20, 2006
Point Pleasant, NJ
I'd like to be able to throw a curve but every time I try with a house ball, it never ends with pins being knocked down. I was told it is due to the house ball which I think is part of the problem but my lack of talent in this sport has a lot to do with it.
I had the same problem when I went from a straight ball to a hook. Finally someone showed me that if you swing your arm with your thumb towards the top of the ball, follow thru, and end up with your thumb pointing towards the ceiling all is right in the world. Sounds retarded, but if your little fat digit stays toward "up" your entire swing it actually works (this is why good bowlers end up in that home-erotic stance after a throw) Its your 2 other fingers coming up and releasing last that throw the ball into a spin.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
I had the same problem when I went from a straight ball to a hook. Finally someone showed me that if you swing your arm with your thumb towards the top of the ball, follow thru, and end up with your thumb pointing towards the ceiling all is right in the world. Sounds retarded, but if your little fat digit stays toward "up" your entire swing it actually works (this is why good bowlers end up in that home-erotic stance after a throw) Its your 2 other fingers coming up and releasing last that throw the ball into a spin.
You will never avg over a 180 with that release.
1st you fingers should start at the bottom of the ball with the thumb almost aiming at the pins from the back.
2nd on your 1st step extend your throwing arm and let it naturally drop still with the fingers in the same possition
You 2nd step the ball and arm should be at about 7 to 8 o'clock
you3rd step the arm should be fully back with the wrist in the same posistion
Now the 4th a realease step you slide on the the opposeing foot and the other leg should be behind you for balance. As the ball comes to the bottom of your swing let the thumb out and the 2 fingers are at the bottom of the ball. at this point rotate the wrist counterclockwise for righties and clockwise for lefties.as the ball leave the fingers follow thru on your delivery. this will give you proper hook. and not that 20 boards stroker crapola. a nice 10 board hook is totally fine. And you blow out you shoulder ar have your thumb looking like a alien hand.

Do this and you will improve from a 180 to a 200+ in under 2 months if you have aconsistant approach

Valk

Aug 20, 2006
Point Pleasant, NJ
The bowling alley by me got torn down so I haven't bowled in a year or so. But good call my average was 185 whence I left off :clap:

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
The bowling alley by me got torn down so I haven't bowled in a year or so. But good call my average was 185 whence I left off :clap:
See that the problem with a top thumb hole release you the ball spins about 45 degrees off axis. With the fingers at the bottom you get close to optimal perpendicular spin. And also maximum backend and total control. This should result in atleast 50% strikes and the rest 8-9 pins. But remember once you hit the 200 avg bowling becomes now more a sport and less recreation as you need more concertration. At time I wish I was back being a 180 even a 160 bowler. I had a loads more fun. So it is a give a take.