Brain Farts using Arbitron's satellite ratings

How can a system where you fill out a diary be accurate? :huh:

When the numbers are good.

Of course. None of us have the actual numbers. neither company will release them. But I will ask something though. What are the estimates of everyone here of what the "actual" numbers are? So basically what we all believe is what, Stern has what, 200,000 as a weekly cume and O&A have over a million? With no advertising or promotion or even acknowledgment that O&A even exist for the most part on XM this is what people are telling me.

Sirius has driven their advertising primarily off the fact that they have Howard Stern. It is nowhere beyond reason to see that out of their listenership that he has the lion's share of it. As for a comparison. Stern left terrestrial radio with 12 million listeners. To now only have a million two seems really about where it should be. Stern had a ready made audience base driven off the fact he could market it while he was still on FM. And the fact that Sirius marketed it properly.

So what I want to know. Are people here saying that O&A have that many more listeners than Stern? It's way too easy to say well Arbitron is wrong, or outdated. Show proof to the contrary. Arbitron has served as a ratings standard for years. If it were that antiquated or outdated it would have been done with long ago. Far too many advertising dollars are spent based on those numbers.

Everyone spins these days. People here just choose to buy one version of it. Sad to see what happens when facts show differently it's hard to recover in it. If XM has hard numbers contrary to this, let them show them.

Shitdeek

Dec 9, 2004
Cause I'm sure we all expected E-Lo to email you back and say, 'yes, sadly they're 100% accurate.....Stern is whopping up on O&A'. Of course he's going to tell you the numbers are way off. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, the numbers aren't as bad as they say but they are by no means great.

When the numbers from two supposedly "reliable" sources are not that different.
I dunno. it's just weird to me. O&A are going through a tough period. Shit like this happens. But in all of this not once have you heard Opie say maybe we can take part of the blame for Philly and the other stations.

I get it. I think YSP was wrong for just cutting them off like they did, but in the end I have seen way too many shows with way too may management staffs who hated them but sucked it up because they were making money off it.

Bottom line is O&A are a niche humor show. Niche humor isn't selling. You can't alienate 70% of everyone and expect to be a mass appeal hit. Not to mention this show is and I repeat NOT A MORNING SHOW.

From the very beginning we all know what happens. The show starts, and Opie has issues with the sound of the headphones or the mics. This is an Opie staple. We all stuck around long enough to love and appreciate it. We laugh at it. the average listener who is new thinks it's just random bitching. Then they go to topics. Which almost these days invariably leads to Al Sharpton. Which leads to another 30 minute tirade. Then we get to staff stuff which new people have no idea about. The average new listener doesn't know who Roland or CS Kenny or ERock are.

Basically for new listeners it's way too much outer layer stuff to peel through before you really get to the real beauty of what O&A are. That occurs somewhere around 8 am. And the show revs up and we get brilliance. That is cut off just in time to hear them say "OK join us on XM for the rest of the show"

Which sorry, will probably turn a shitload of people off. Not to mention the average drive time will be over by that time. By the time we've gotten from bitchfest one to bitchfest two we're already at our shitty cubicle pissed off about our own lives. Far removed from the concerns over two millionaires' problems.

And anyone that is new that wishes to delve deeper will get online and probably end up here. As Wackbag is the premiere O&A fan site. And usually new listeners come through and get shit on on a constant basis as well.

Bottom line is the O&A show, from the vision of a new potential listener is a trainwreck. It is thoroughly non-hospitable. Abrasive, and takes a long time to get into. For those that do the payoff is sweet. But with today's attention spans that's going to happen very often.

Now, for anyone who wants honesty. There it is.

OK, so basically O&A have 5 million listeners on XM. And the sampling came out conveniently at the time when they were suspended. So... 4,800,000 cancelled. Considering XM themselves said only 5,000 or so subscribers cancelled. So basically that does make sense. 5000 subscribers. And we all love our XM. Enough to all own 960 radios each.

Ok............

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
E-Lo has said O&A have more than 5 million listeners on XM.
Maybe I don't trust everything E-Lo says. (I'm not saying they have bad numbers on XM, I just think 5 million is a lot.)

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I haven't seen anything yet. Logan is telling us the same thing he's told O&A here. That they're doing well. Well it's company policy to keep those numbers unpublished. Until that policy changes statements like these do little to change my opinion.

Also with Arbitron. As a whole, people who are now slamming it. Stop using it as a justification when there are good numbers. You can't have it both ways. And it so fucking annoying when good ratings come out people are all over them and Arbitron's great. but when the opposite is the case oh Arbitron's outdated, and wrong, and untrustworthy.
I agree that Arbitron's system is archaic and outdated and inaccurate. But you are missing the key difference between the regular radio ratings and satellite ratings. It has nothing to do with good or bad ratings. O&A have admitted when their ratings sucked and they didn't blame it on Arbitron. The difference is they are going by what's the accepted rating system. Granted it sucks, but it's the best they got on regular radio right now. There are much better, and more accurate, ways of determining ratings on satellite. It just so happens that neither company releases the ratings publicly.

so in summary....Arbitron in regular radio = sucks but the best we got....Arbitron in satellite radio = totally useless

Wow. Another fucking thread about how the boys are doing. Please, if there is a mod still working on this board, Mega merge these fucking threads and stop new ones from being created.
Imagine that! People discussing O&A in the O&A General Discussion forum! We'll get right on that for you. :icon_roll

I agree that Arbitron's system is archaic and outdated and inaccurate. But you are missing the key difference between the regular radio ratings and satellite ratings. It has nothing to do with good or bad ratings. O&A have admitted when their ratings sucked and they didn't blame it on Arbitron.
To be honest I seriously believe it's not outdated. And I've had to deal with market research for years and Arbitron's delivery system is quite efficient. Next to actually plopping down a radio with a tagging device it's about as close as you can come.

The biggest picture is still being missed. Of course in the final tally I sincerely believe That these numbers while not rock solid are fair to start with. Stern's show while stepping out of all pretense and opinion is way more mass appeal than O&A. It's not as angry, or biting. The atmosphere is far more inviting.

In it's heyday it approached that magical 20 million mark that all shows dream of. So it's not far reaching to say that a million two plus is achievable.

I also think that given it's full assessment O&A run approximately 3/4ths of that audience.

Now the big picture is Stern went to Sirius and his audience shrunk to that. while O&A came from nowhere and built their audience.

That is a crowning achievement. And a first for the medium. That fact though will be lost over the fight to beat Howard Stern. Which is sad.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
To be honest I seriously believe it's not outdated. And I've had to deal with market research for years and Arbitron's delivery system is quite efficient......

I also think that given it's full assessment O&A run approximately 3/4ths of that audience.
so which is it? your saying two different things.

so which is it? your saying two different things.
I'm only saying that people are confusing the fact that because O&A's show is better than most it's not more popular than most. And is that really a bad thing?

I can name a thousand shows that aren't as good as O&A. But for some reason they're more popular. Sometimes the best things just aren't as popular. Opie said that himself. Building an audience is painfully slow. That they'd kill on a radio show that day, go outside and no one even knew they existed. The very reason they went back on FM was to build an audience.

So let's not be so surprised if these numbers are closer to the real numbers. I think they're low, but not that low.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
I'm only saying that people are confusing the fact that because O&A's show is better than most it's not more popular than most. And is that really a bad thing?

I can name a thousand shows that aren't as good as O&A. But for some reason they're more popular. Sometimes the best things just aren't as popular. Opie said that himself. Building an audience is painfully slow. That they'd kill on a radio show that day, go outside and no one even knew they existed. The very reason they went back on FM was to build an audience.

So let's not be so surprised if these numbers are closer to the real numbers. I think they're low, but not that low.
fair enough, I dont disagree with the first 2 paragraphs there.

but either they only have a fifth of howards audience as arbitron says, or do they have more like 3/4ths as you guessed? pretty big difference.

fair enough, I dont disagree with the first 2 paragraphs there.

but either they only have a fifth of howards audience as arbitron says, or do they have more like 3/4ths as you guessed? pretty big difference.
To be honest and not bore people to death with extrapolating their work. I'd say they're pulling in roughly from 550,000 to 640,000.

I believe they were really on par with Howard for a while. But given Howard's massive marketing, O&A suspended etc stuff changed.

And a lot of people, like here on this board that I remember telling to not hold that much of a grudge against XM who are not resubbing still. If that sentiment is a big theme with the audience that hurts no one but O&A.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
To be honest and not bore people to death with extrapolating their work. I'd say they're pulling in roughly from 550,000 to 640,000.
could be, i tend to doubt the arbitron's ratings compared to what the actual companies have researched. I honestly think howards arbitron's numbers are probably pretty low as well as the boys.

but its going to come down to who's word do you put more credibility in. and that makes this a subjective opinion for us stupid fans

T

TheSick

Opie and Anthony's ratings suck for so many reasons. I will tell you exactly why their ratings are shit.

Opie and Anthony put on a HORRIBLE national show. Absolutely fucking hilarious when you're in the city. Great for Philly fans. Great for the tristate.

Horrible everywhere else. They don't know how to localize and nationalize themselves at the same time. And that's ESSENTIAL when you have a syndicated morning show. Radio audiences specifically DO NOT want to be alienated. Trust me, no one in West Palm Beach gives a fuck about the pharmacy downstairs or the Starbucks across the street.

Opie and Anthony put on a horrible national show. And they could be SO great. If someone could just coach them and teach them how to put on a show that could actually compete with Stern. But Opie is a fucking maniac, that's the truth.

And you may giggle, but the fact of the matter is this - Opie has an ego far greater than what he should, and it holds him back from being a good host.

The key to good ratings, in a syndicated situation is LESS. Appearances are worthless. Just stop talking about New York. Stop with all the fucking comedy shit hole plugs. The guy in Georgia doesn't give two shits. Less local, more funny.

That's not just it - Consistently putting on a good show with LESS bullshit will bring up the ratings, but the boys would never be receptive of that. Hey, I'm a fan. But I also know where they can improve.

Here's my point - what they do on a day by day basis simply is not good enough. They're gonna get dropped slowly but surely - chip chip chip.

And here's the bottom line. Opie and Anothony will never beat Howard Stern unless they change their format. It's a hilarious comedy show that appeals to... you guys. Guys like me, as well. People under 25 with NO FUCKING MONEY TO SPEND.

Stern always has, and always will have the adult audience, unless the show changes. And it won't. Ever. Neither show will change. And with that, Opie and Anthony will eventually die. Sad, but true. I just hope they can evolve and actually figure out how to compete not with Stern. Stop trying to compete with Stern. He's your pal, not your competition.

Your competition, is whoever is #1 in that particular market. Study their show, find out why it's #1, and then do THAT better every single day, in separate hours hitting every audience group. Period. Trust me, I'm right. Stop trying to compete with fucking STERN. He has his audience and you will never take it. And this current audience will not keep your boat afloat, evidence being the ratings.

But no one would listen to be, because I'm an asshole on wackbag. An asshole with a #1 Arbitron rated radio show, that is.

A fan as well, but one who would love to see the show stay alive and make people laugh in the morning in these markets that need a show like this.

but its going to come down to who's word do you put more credibility in. and that makes this a subjective opinion for us stupid fans
Exactly. And XM and Sirius could lay all this to rest tomorrow if they wanted to. What I'm hoping. That if Arbitron keeps releasing these. And if like Logan says they are lowballing the numbers prompts them to put up the real numbers. So hopefully Arbitron is still serving a useful purpose.

Basically XM and Sirius should post the real numbers. Especially for those of us invested in this by subscribing, or owning stock I think they owe us this.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I get it. I think YSP was wrong for just cutting them off like they did, but in the end I have seen way too many shows with way too may management staffs who hated them but sucked it up because they were making money off it.

Bottom line is O&A are a niche humor show. Niche humor isn't selling. You can't alienate 70% of everyone and expect to be a mass appeal hit. Not to mention this show is and I repeat NOT A MORNING SHOW.

From the very beginning we all know what happens. The show starts, and Opie has issues with the sound of the headphones or the mics. This is an Opie staple. We all stuck around long enough to love and appreciate it. We laugh at it. the average listener who is new thinks it's just random bitching. Then they go to topics. Which almost these days invariably leads to Al Sharpton. Which leads to another 30 minute tirade. Then we get to staff stuff which new people have no idea about. The average new listener doesn't know who Roland or CS Kenny or ERock are.

Basically for new listeners it's way too much outer layer stuff to peel through before you really get to the real beauty of what O&A are. That occurs somewhere around 8 am. And the show revs up and we get brilliance. That is cut off just in time to hear them say "OK join us on XM for the rest of the show"

Which sorry, will probably turn a shitload of people off. Not to mention the average drive time will be over by that time. By the time we've gotten from bitchfest one to bitchfest two we're already at our shitty cubicle pissed off about our own lives. Far removed from the concerns over two millionaires' problems.

Bottom line is the O&A show, from the vision of a new potential listener is a trainwreck. It is thoroughly non-hospitable. Abrasive, and takes a long time to get into. For those that do the payoff is sweet. But with today's attention spans that's going to happen very often.

Now, for anyone who wants honesty. There it is.
I agree very much with this. Good points.

Shitdeek

Dec 9, 2004
Opie and Anthony's ratings suck for so many reasons. I will tell you exactly why their ratings are shit.

Opie and Anthony put on a HORRIBLE national show. Absolutely fucking hilarious when you're in the city. Great for Philly fans. Great for the tristate.

Horrible everywhere else. They don't know how to localize and nationalize themselves at the same time. And that's ESSENTIAL when you have a syndicated morning show. Radio audiences specifically DO NOT want to be alienated. Trust me, no one in West Palm Beach gives a fuck about the pharmacy downstairs or the Starbucks across the street.

Opie and Anthony put on a horrible national show. And they could be SO great. If someone could just coach them and teach them how to put on a show that could actually compete with Stern. But Opie is a fucking maniac, that's the truth.

And you may giggle, but the fact of the matter is this - Opie has an ego far greater than what he should, and it holds him back from being a good host.

The key to good ratings, in a syndicated situation is LESS. Appearances are worthless. Just stop talking about New York. Stop with all the fucking comedy shit hole plugs. The guy in Georgia doesn't give two shits. Less local, more funny.

That's not just it - Consistently putting on a good show with LESS bullshit will bring up the ratings, but the boys would never be receptive of that. Hey, I'm a fan. But I also know where they can improve.

Here's my point - what they do on a day by day basis simply is not good enough. They're gonna get dropped slowly but surely - chip chip chip.

And here's the bottom line. Opie and Anothony will never beat Howard Stern unless they change their format. It's a hilarious comedy show that appeals to... you guys. Guys like me, as well. People under 25 with NO FUCKING MONEY TO SPEND.

Stern always has, and always will have the adult audience, unless the show changes. And it won't. Ever. Neither show will change. And with that, Opie and Anthony will eventually die. Sad, but true. I just hope they can evolve and actually figure out how to compete not with Stern. Stop trying to compete with Stern. He's your pal, not your competition.

Your competition, is whoever is #1 in that particular market. Study their show, find out why it's #1, and then do THAT better every single day, in separate hours hitting every audience group. Period. Trust me, I'm right. Stop trying to compete with fucking STERN. He has his audience and you will never take it. And this current audience will not keep your boat afloat, evidence being the ratings.

But no one would listen to be, because I'm an asshole on wackbag. An asshole with a #1 Arbitron rated radio show, that is.

A fan as well, but one who would love to see the show stay alive and make people laugh in the morning in these markets that need a show like this.
excellent post........thats all i really have to add. i just think you need to be quoted. and this comes from a guy whos been a fan for roughly 8 or 9 years and watched them grow from NY.

WhateverMJ

Oct 6, 2004
Why would I want a better version of a show I don't listen to because it's shitty? O&A is O&A, I don't want them to change jack shit about their show, unless that's how they want to do it now. Broader appeal at the cost of your creativity is retarded and self poisoning.

The only reason I emailed E-Lo was to get his take on, what I thought to be, hilariously low ball numbers from Arbitron. They could say that O&A only has 20,000 listeners and they're all on Wackbag, it wouldn't make the show any less fucking hysterical to me.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Why would I want a better version of a show I don't listen to because it's shitty? O&A is O&A, I don't want them to change jack shit about their show, unless that's how they want to do it now. Broader appeal at the cost of your creativity is retarded and self poisoning.
alot of people cant get around the fact that the post layoff show is fundamentally different than the afternoon show. its not just the hours, and the alcohol and higher energy that goes along with it.

as a few others mentioned, it is a darker more brutal show. its darker regardless of whether or not they are talking about serious, political/social issues (which they obviously do alot more often now) and its more dark and brutal when they make jokes.

whether or not you appreciate the older version or not is a subjective/personal preference decision. but its laughable when people dont seem to understand- IT ISNT THE SAME SHOW. if you still want to hold on to wishes that it returns to wnew form, fair enough. you can either move past that, recognize its different, and decide if you like the new form. but dont act surprised when alot of us like what the show has changed into. the best example is the Imus stuff, the week he was fired. that was one of their best weeks ever. and alot of the complainers, especially from other forums, werent particularly interested in it. which in my eyes means the show just isnt for you anymore. if you cant drop your wishes for a return to yesterday, you arent going to appreciate when they are ontop of their game today.

thats obviously a harder show to get into, right off the bat. and under the best of circumstances the show was always an either immediate hit with listeners or complete turn off where many of those listeners would eventually start liking it. and it hasnt been the best of circumstances in the past year. this FM portion no matter what needs a long time for success.

All of that makes sense. But Anger Radio only goes so far. I have my own damn problems. If I'm driving to work I don't need more heaped on me. This was why Stern suffered a lot towards his end on FM. For a while he'd start a show, then launch into FCC this, Bush administration that. That's fine in small doses, but after a while it seems whiny and petty.

O&A came along after Stern's departure to satellite by claiming they knew how to adapt. That they made names for themselves in the new climate of radio.

Well. I guess those cities that dropped them got tired of waiting.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
O&A came along after Stern's departure to satellite by claiming they knew how to adapt. That they made names for themselves in the new climate of radio.

Well. I guess those cities that dropped them got tired of waiting.
well they did adapt, its a different show for the numerous reasons we've pointed out. as you pointed out, its an acquired taste for many. and it always has been to a lesser extent.

what I agreed with about your earlier posts is that after its abrasive entrance theres a big payoff down the line. some will make it that far some wont. do you want them to change. cause even with attempts at mainstream advertising, its brought right back to dark humor, messing with the prize pigs.

if that payoff down the line exists, as we both think it does, I dont think you change from that format of the show. you just try to stay on as long as possible on the affiliates and accept the results. the reason that there is a big payoff is that the show has adapted. and I dont think slumping ratings change that fact about the quality and kind of show it is.

do you want them to change. cause even with attempts at mainstream advertising, its brought right back to dark humor, messing with the prize pigs.

if that payoff down the line exists, as we both think it does, I dont think you change from that format of the show. you just try to stay on as long as possible on the affiliates and accept the results. the reason that there is a big payoff is that the show has adapted. and I dont think slumping ratings change that fact about the quality and kind of show it is.
There's a balance somewhere in there I think is very off right now. Yes the following shows after Imus' firing were great. a couple months after though of railing as though it happened to them is trite.

To be honest O&A have fared well in this new climate. Their main incident was being suspended on XM after Homeless Charlie. More due to them going up against XM's management than anything else. Other than that the biggest blow came from Catholics. Not Al Sharpton. Yet he's who we hear about all the time.

I don't want them to change. I do want them to not hop on their crosses as much. When the show gets past that and really digs into the comedy it's the best.

O&A have always said you don't go there for hard hitting news. Lately the show has drifted into a seriousness in discussing current events that would lead you to believe that they are trying to be just that.

It's not what they're good at.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box

I really didn't have to go far past this point to realize that this was a retarded post. So O&A can never match Stern's appeal because they alienate the common person in a syndicated market by talking about the pharmacy downstairs and the Starbucks across the street, yet Howie really related to them when he talked about his limo and claimed the President of the United States was out to get him personally? Like who in the world has a local pharmacy of a Starbucks but EVERYONE has a limo and is being stalked by George Bush. :icon_roll

I dunno. it's just weird to me. O&A are going through a tough period. Shit like this happens. But in all of this not once have you heard Opie say maybe we can take part of the blame for Philly and the other stations.

Bottom line is O&A are a niche humor show. Niche humor isn't selling. You can't alienate 70% of everyone and expect to be a mass appeal hit.
I can agree with that, sort of. I think the biggest obstacle O&A have hit is that the market that made them #1 in their first run in syndication is gone. Not to another station or another show. Gone from radio. With all the FCC crack downs on language and the special interest groups attacking everyone, the people who used to love the type of show O&A do have long since moved on to other forms of entertainment. I think the reason corny morning zoos are getting the most ratings is because, while the shows like O&A were getting thrown off the air and the fans of those shows were leaving with them, the morning zoos never went away. Regular radio is just in a sad state, both in terms of the broadcasts and the people who listen to them.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007

Your argument appears valid, but you're SO far off on the facts, it's not even funny.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Talk about beating a dead horse. If the advertisers didn't think the pogram was worth it they wouldn't spend ad dollars.

ShavedLebaneseBear

Question: What kind of bear is best?
Oct 17, 2002
West Coast

Um...no.
OandA have never been about mass appeal, and it would suck if they were. If you want mass appeal, go listen to Don And Mike or Preston and Steve. Even Howard has more mass appeal. Mass appeal = safe radio, and that would suck for the show.

Oand A will never have that mass appeal. Their humor is way too over the line for most. They are also not relatable to most people in this country. A guy who is married and has kids is not going to listen to 3 unmarried guys talk about hookers, video games, and shit stories. Throw in an Uncle Paul impression and you have lost the mass market. You also lose 99% of the female audience. Their show is niche in the current social climate. I hate the fact that everything is geared towards "family values" now, but that's the way it is. Even Howard can be relatable in this climate, as he has been married, has kids, and most importantly, he has a line he will not cross because of that. He will never make a child death/molesting joke, and that gives him a broader appeal. He is an older guy now, and he is non threatening. He uses sex, and a few dirty words to keep his shock jock status, and that is a good combination for the douchebags who listen to him. That is the cheap way to get ratings, and it sucks...but it works. That is the only kind of shock jock radio that will work today. The days of having a listener fuck a dead monkey's mouth are over, at least on FM radio.

The show has always been about 2-3 guys hanging out and talking. No show prep, and almost everything is off the cuff. You either like that or you do not.

Changing the show, so that some guy in Georgia will like them, is NOT the way to go. How do they keep their core audience if the go mass appeal? If they emulate the shows they are competing against, they might as well just quit. The show will cease to be the Opie and Anthony show. It might as well be any "Slappy and Wappy" show out there. You can't just take 3 talented guys, give them shit to work with and have them produce gold. They are very talented, but a lot of that talent is centered around how they do their show. If the show changed, it would suck. Obviously, it can (and does) evolve, but the core of the show is still there...3 dopes talking shit for 5 hours. Sounds good to me! :clap:

By the way, I am well over 25, and I have plenty of money to spend. I refuse to get married, hate children, and the thought of having to ask to go on a "man date" makes me want to puke. I live in California, and do not care if they talk about Carolines, or the Comedy Cellar in NYC. I do not feel alienated because they are not directly releating to my area. Know why? Because I am not a self important douche, who thinks everthing is about me. Those people who need their radio show (let's remember it is just a radio show) to relate directly to their personal situation, should go kill themselves.