Britain makes camera that "sees" under clothes

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
First thing I thought after reading this was "Total Recall"

Britain makes camera that "sees" under clothes Sun Mar 9, 7:21 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British company has developed a camera that can detect weapons, drugs or explosives hidden under people's clothes from up to 25 meters away in what could be a breakthrough for the security industry.

The T5000 camera, created by a company called ThruVision, uses what it calls "passive imaging technology" to identify objects by the natural electromagnetic rays -- known as Terahertz or T-rays -- that they emit.

The high-powered camera can detect hidden objects from up to 80 feet away and is effective even when people are moving. It does not reveal physical body details and the screening is harmless, the company says.

The technology, which has military and civilian applications and could be used in crowded airports, shopping malls or sporting events, will be unveiled at a scientific development exhibition sponsored by Britain's Home Office on March 12-13.

"Acts of terrorism have shaken the world in recent years and security precautions have been tightened globally," said Clive Beattie, the chief executive of ThruVision.

"The ability to see both metallic and non-metallic items on people out to 25 meters is certainly a key capability that will enhance any comprehensive security system."

While the technology may enhance detection, it may also increase concerns that Britain is becoming a surveillance society, with hundreds of thousands of closed-circuit television cameras already monitoring people countrywide every day.

ThruVision came up with the technology for the T5000 in collaboration with the European Space Agency and from studying research by astronomers into dying stars.

The technology works on the basis that all people and objects emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation. Terahertz rays lie somewhere between infrared and microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum and travel through clouds and walls.

Depending on the material, the signature of the wave is different, so that explosives can be distinguished from a block of clay and cocaine is different from a bag of flour
That would so help speed security along at airports. You could pretty much breeze in and out at airports.
Too bad it would never sell in the US. Every civil liberties groups would chime in about invasion of privacy and so forth.
So everybody don't hold your breathe on this and get used to taking off belts, shoes and jackets at the airports.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080309/tc_nm/security_britain_technology_dc

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I see this being able to be misused, against CCW holders for example in non-gun-friendly places like Philly where they make it as difficult as possible for law-abiding citizens to get a CCW.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
First thing I thought after reading this was "Total Recall"
The thing from Total Recall is a fluoroscope which is just a video x-ray device to capture real-time x-rays during movement to see how bodies function.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
It'll be a huge success in Britain, as no-one is supposed to have a firearm on their person at any time.... hell, not even a knife is allowed there. 'Processing' large groups of people will be much quicker than using the old methods. On the heels of that success I imagine the next dopey US govt will lap that shit up and have it deployed as soon as it's truly viable.

It's like we're living the prequel to fucking V for Vendetta... scares the piss outta me.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
big brother is always watching, this technology is nothing new, and has already been deployed. its just a matter of time before they arrest enough people with it, or someone that is of some importance getting busted buy it. there will be no debate, it will just happen. just like facial recognition. its here and being used, just not buy the local PD's you can bet higher government agency's are already using it, how do you think things like this get funded.