Britney Spears charged with hit-and-run in L.A.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2145435720070922

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:18pm EDT

By Dana Ford
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop star Britney Spears was charged on Friday with hit and run and driving without a valid license, a spokesman with the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office said.
The 25-year-old singer was charged with one count of hit and run causing property damage and one count of driving without a valid California driver's license, both misdemeanors.
The charges, which each carry a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine, stem from an incident in a private parking lot in the San Fernando Valley on August 6.
Spears is accused of hitting a parked car and driving away.
The victim filed an accident report on August 9 at the North Hollywood Community Police Station.
The city attorney's office did not know whether Spears' car had been damaged, nor did he know the extent of damage to the other car, spokesman Frank Mateljan said. He also did not know who else, if anyone, was in the car with Spears.
Representatives for the singer were not immediately available for comment.
Spears was sent a letter on Friday, notifying her of the charges. A hearing, which Spears does not have to attend because the charges are misdemeanors, is set for October 10, Mateljan said.
Earlier this month, the singer, who shot to stardom in the late 1990s as a pop princess, delivered what was considered a disappointing performance of her new single "Gimme More" at the MTV Video Music Awards.
Spears' professional life has been overshadowed by her personal crises, which have become constant fodder for supermarket tabloids.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Come on, is that really hit and run?

Some cunt hit my wife's car in the supermarket lot once and denied it right to the cop's face. The paint matched, the height of the bumper matched the dent, and her bumper was scratched. Cop said he didn't see it happen so meh.

I agree it's a slimy thing to do but come on, put in a comprehensive claim and call it a day.

Perhaps it was more than a simple dent and in that case, I say hit and run. But if it's a minor dent or scratch I think the LAPD and the DA are reaching a bit.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
It was filmed and post on that Interweb tube thingamajig. More then enough proof, IMO.

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Gotta give it to her. She gets her name out there either from back in the day as a piece of hiney or as what she is doing now.

OJ should take lessons.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
If that video I just watched on youtube was what this story is about then the L.A. district attorney should jump out a window. She rolled into someone else's car while trying to pull into a space at about .3 MPH. And come on, driving without a valid license? Can they even charge you with that ex post facto based on photographic evidence? I'm not a Britney fan or anything, but this one really seems like much ado about nothing.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The custody battle has upped the pressure on her from K-Fed's shyster, who most likely dropped a dime to a friendly ADA to go after her. It's all about the loot.