Broken Sliding Patio Door

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
My priceless son broke the wheel off of my patio door. I don't know what I'm looking for and I don't know what brand door this is. Does it matter? Anyone know what part to replace it with?

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
They are usually called something like Spring Tension Rollers

you might have to look at where it's broken and line up the break to identify the correct replacement

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Window-Hardware-Window-Rollers-Guides/N-5yc1vZc9bt

Also there is probably a not broken roller on the other end of the door. You could remove that one to see what a good one looks like and work for a replacement from there

and finally sometimes the doors are reversible/flippable so you could have 2 of the same wheels at the top that don't bear any weight so you could move one from there to the bottom.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
They are usually called something like Spring Tension Rollers

you might have to look at where it's broken and line up the break to identify the correct replacement

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Window-Hardware-Window-Rollers-Guides/N-5yc1vZc9bt

Also there is probably a not broken roller on the other end of the door. You could remove that one to see what a good one looks like and work for a replacement from there

and finally sometimes the doors are reversible/flippable so you could have 2 of the same wheels at the top that don't bear any weight so you could move one from there to the bottom.
What you are seeing is where it broke. That long spring goes into the top bracket of the wheel. It's extremely cheap compared to anything else I've seen only. Extremely old too. This door might be 40 years old.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My priceless son broke the wheel off of my patio door. I don't know what I'm looking for and I don't know what brand door this is. Does it matter? Anyone know what part to replace it with?

Sounds like you now have a perfectly good window.

#glasshalffull

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
That stuff looks old timey. I'm gonna guess you live in the 1930s.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
If you live in New Jersey and your door is that old you might want to invest in a new one. We bought new sliders a few years ago and holy shit what a difference in warmth in the winter...the old doors were just 1000lbs of leaky seams..

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
If you live in New Jersey and your door is that old you might want to invest in a new one. We bought new sliders a few years ago and holy shit what a difference in warmth in the winter...the old doors were just 1000lbs of leaky seams..
This is just the screen. You are correct though, our sliding door is crap also. The deal is broken and the door is crooked as hell. We're just not planning on staying here and are going to end up short selling because it's a condo and worthless.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
This is just the screen. You are correct though, our sliding door is crap also. The deal is broken and the door is crooked as hell. We're just not planning on staying here and are going to end up short selling because it's a condo and worthless.
OH!! I thought that was from the GLASS DOOR not the screen...the screen is easy to fix. It's the glass door that's a real pain once something goes.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That is awesome. Thank you.
I've ordered from them a few times. I got three sets of sliding doors here that are original to the house (1985). They have everything I need to keep them going pretty much forever.

I don't think I could get something as well-made today, plus they are a custom size (9ft) so it would cost a fortune to replace them.

sillyfuck

Wackbag Uncle Tom
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
Is there a man that lives nearby, that you can call to fix it for you Sally?

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I've ordered from them a few times. I got three sets of sliding doors here that are original to the house (1985). They have everything I need to keep them going pretty much forever.

I don't think I could get something as well-made today, plus they are a custom size (9ft) so it would cost a fortune to replace them.
I feel your pain. My doors are oversized and I can't afford custom doors to replace these.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
You're fucked, it will never work right again

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
My house has no sliding doors. Not sure if I'm dumb or lucky.