Bronx is burning ...wadda ya think

Dopie Opie

Watched the first episode last night. Thought it was OK. George seems a little over the top, but that was him back in the 70's, I guess.

Reggie must have sweetened up to the writers...

Need more Nettles, Munson and Sparky Lyle.

bubbawadd

Tried to TIVO it last night but got fucked up due to the HR derby going so long. Trying again tormorrow on ESPN2.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Would have been better to just splice together the actual footage along with interviews from the people today. (Minus Billy and Munson, of course.) The real people were 10 times more charasmatic than the dullard actors they got to play them. George Steinbrenner being played by a gay guy, while funny, is not appropriate. The Son of Sam and 'current events' news they worked in were out of place and added nothing to the show. Not even sure what they were trying to do with that stuff, other than find work for Casey Schucksko.

Gave it a shot, but won't be wasting my time on future episodes. Symbolic that MLB's biggest disgrace, Jason Giambi, made a cameo. Hopefully MLB will shut it down the way the NFL did that other stupid show.

highfive

I like you. Do you like me?
Tried to TIVO it last night but got fucked up due to the HR derby going so long. Trying again tormorrow on ESPN2.
As soon as i hit record on the DVR I knew that the HR Derby would mess it up....ESPN sucks

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
I'm not so sure even if I was a Yankees fan I would of liked it much. Though I may have a bias against anything ESPN puts out because they usually suck. Once I saw that the Hr Derby was only scheduled for exactly 2 hours I laughed knowing that it would be much closer to 3 as usual. How they thought they could get through anything ran by Chris Berman in 2 hours or less is comical.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Eh, brings back memories of being a teen (and we all know teen makes it more gooder). Not great, not bad. Better then anything else they have produced.

Best part is the fake Billy Martin ears.

Perch1019

I tend to ignore the ESPN movies because they have been so downright awful and they replay on ESPNs networks for months following. I checked this out since 1. Im a huge yankee fan and 2. I wasnt alive in '77 so outside of books and mentions on sports shows, i really have no idea about that season.
First off I think the acting is horrid. That scene with Whitey Ford and the shirt was so awkward to watch. Second, Oliver Platt not only looks like a gigantic ass but he is so far over the top that it makes it unbelievable that he is George Steinbrenner. When they showed a clip I thought for a second that maybe Steinbrenner wasnt around in full capacity then and it was another guy.
The production also stinks.

Cromwell

I enjoyed it.

But then again, I'm a history buff and a baseball fan. :icon_cool

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
I liked it ok. But im a Yankee fan. I didnt know it was going to be a series. Thought we were getting the whole thing last night.

I hate the Yankees but I actually enjoyed it. I think I'll keep watching.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
not sure what I think, I am a yankee fan so it earns points there. Also this is one of the teams that my dad told me stories about (mickey, whitey, yogi, maris etc being the other).

acting and casting is another story all together but so far I like it, I will continue to watch it till I am sick of it.

Not sure why there is such a focus on the son of sam and the cops... guess you had to be around during that summer.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
The makeup on Reggie and Billy made this look like a long SNL sketch.

Cromwell

not sure what I think, I am a yankee fan so it earns points there. Also this is one of the teams that my dad told me stories about (mickey, whitey, yogi, maris etc being the other).
Absolutely. But certainly you must have read some of the books written about this period? I've read many. Including Nettles book and Martin's book just to name two. A lot of these stories are chronicled in there.

I thought the re-enactment of Martin and Reggie going at each other in the dugout was pretty accurate. The guy playing Steinbrenner is a little over-the-top, but what the hell - Steinbrenner was an ass during that period. I think Turturro's Martin is really good.

I will continue to watch it till I am sick of it.
Same here. It ain't The Shield, but then again, what is?

Not sure why there is such a focus on the son of sam and the cops... guess you had to be around during that summer.
I like the weaving of NY history into it. Gives it a bit more legitimacy.

peewee

Gave it a shot, but won't be wasting my time on future episodes. Symbolic that MLB's biggest disgrace, Jason Giambi, made a cameo. Hopefully MLB will shut it down the way the NFL did that other stupid show.
jason giambi the biggest disgrace in the mlb. why? because he is a truthful person. he is not the only person in baseball to use steroids. however he is the only one to admit it that wasn't looking to profit off it. was he wrong for doing the steroids, yes. was every other player just as wrong... yes they just haven't owned up to it yet. i would put bonds much higher on that list then giambi.

back on topic. i liked the show, i wasn't alive during 77 so i am interested in learning more about this team then i have already heard from the likes on yankeeography and my old man.

I watched it yeasterday(after making sure I DVRed the celebrity softball game and Sportscenter the night before.) I'm a Yankee fan and was only 3 when this was going on. I didn't think it was too bad. Plus there is something about NYC that fascinates me from the time, you know how dirty it was. I liked the backstory section after the show was over also.

Dopie Opie

I watched it yeasterday(after making sure I DVRed the celebrity softball game and Sportscenter the night before.) I'm a Yankee fan and was only 3 when this was going on. I didn't think it was too bad. Plus there is something about NYC that fascinates me from the time, you know how dirty it was. I liked the backstory section after the show was over also.
Even the game footage you see trash on the field all the time. And I am not even talking about the fans running on to the field, I mean paper and shit flying around.

dirty city in a dirty era

JMCC

I'm no Yankee fan, but i can appreciate their legacy. I DVR it last night, so i'll watch it sometime this week. Like some of you i wasn't alive in 77, but I'm interested in the history.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
Same here. I'm a fan of the history of the game. If they made a documentary about how much blow Tim Raines, Ellis Valentine, and the rest of the early 80s Montreal Expos consumed, I'd watch it.

I didn't think it was that bad. I thought Billy Martin and 70's Steinbrenner were played decently. I think the guy playing Reggie Jackson totally sucks!

They gotta get Willie Randolph and Sparky Lyle in there too! Too bad Gossage didn't join the Yanks until the '78 season. I would've loved to see who would've gotten to play him!

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
last i went through there it looked like lots of folks got burnt pretty bad.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
The fact that people where not alive during the '77 season is really making me feel old.

Cromwell

The fact that people where not alive during the '77 season is really making me feel old.
Ha, ha

Don't worry about it, Shuck.

You still got it. :)

As for the show, I agree that they gotta bring in more Nettles and Munson. As for the guy playing Reggie - he's actually pretty good playing Franco on "Rescue Me". His Reggie needs a bit more work, though.

I'm enjoying the series.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
I watched this and its quite interesting, its something to watch now that there isn't shit on TV hardly. It isn't bad for a ESPN TV series, not anything great either, but its definitely not matching their worst ever program which was that Bob Knight movie. That was the worst program ever.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
wadda I think? I think I wouldn't watch it if ya paid me. I hate the Yankees.