Brooklyn Dodgers Documentary

frago

I am Jacks raging bile duct
Apr 27, 2006
Wed at 8 on HBO.
http://www.hbo.com/events/brooklyndodgers/?ntrack_para1=leftnav_category4_show0

On April 15, 1947, the Brooklyn Dodgers made sports history when Jackie Robinson became the first African-American to play in the major leagues. From that watershed moment, the Dodgers and Major League Baseball set a new standard for integration and became a national symbol for a cohesive American culture. Ten years later, the team relocated to the West Coast, shocking a borough and forever changing the professional sports landscape.

Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts Of Flatbush will examine the team's excellence in the National League, as well as their persistent problems competing against their archrivals from the American League, the New York Yankees.

Capturing the unique relationship between the Dodgers and the borough of Brooklyn, the film recalls the controversial decision that dismayed their fans. As the sport became the nation's pastime, the Dodgers' antiquated Ebbets Field grew insufficient, leading to team owner Walter O'Malley's decision to relocate the beloved franchise to Los Angeles in 1957.

The film uses archival footage and revealing interviews, featuring: Jackie Robinson's widow, Rachel Robinson; former players Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, Clem Labine and Johnny Podres; former Dodgers general manager Emil J. "Buzzie" Bavasi; former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley; television commentator Larry King; comedian Pat Cooper; actor Louis Gossett, Jr.; and columnist Melvin Durslag; among others.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
sounds like it should be good. ive got a complete team autographed baseball from the year they won the world series so Im always into this shit

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
hbo always does a good job with these programs, any of the sports stuff

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I'll tune in. I'm fascinated by the old Brooklyn Dodger lore. They seemed like a decent bunch of guys, outside of Drysdale and Durocher, that were easy to root for. And hell, they're indirectly responsible for my team's existence too!

Is Costas narrating?