Bruce Springsteen Fans

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Any Bruce Springsteen Fans out there? I got to see him the other day at Rockefeller Center which was awesome. He looked good for over 55 years old and sounded great too, they all did. Clarence looked great and so did Stevie. I can't wait for Magic to come out. Radio NoWhere is awesome and some of the other songs I heard reminded me of the Born in the USA album. What are some of your favorite songs?

Earth2murf

HATES EVERYONE!!!
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten County NY
I grew up in the tri state area and i hate Bruce and Billy too..ps fuck steely dan too....long live the RAMONES

Sep 13, 2005
New Jersey
new bruce is bad but you can't hate on some of the early stuff. especially nebraska

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
Yes I'm a Springsteen fan.

I wish I could have gone to the today show concert. Night looked great on TV. But in reality, what is made for tv is only really good for tv. It's not worth getting up that early to go see a concert.

And yet... I'm going to Toronto to see him

Every single one of Springsteen albums are good. The question is the degree of good. If you weren't lifted up by some of the Seeger Session Songs, your crazy. Devils was a great intraspective of a 50 year old man try out new things. The songs weren't radio friendly, but as a fan you could see the progression of his thoughts in that album. Rising had a few good songs. The only album which I think was almost bad was Human Touch. It had like three decent songs but that was it.

I didn't really like this new album at first. I thought it was a clunker. After a few listens and a lyric sheet it is growing on me and you can tell it's his best album in almost 20 years.

People have their own "you won't change my opinion of springsteen" thoughts. I don't get that. Don't listen to Born to Run for the 1000 time, listen to Streets of Fire instead. Springsteen, like Dylan or Neil Young is an artists artist. Dig past the hits and you will find amazing songs.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
Another Bruce fan here. Just dug some old concerts from Wolfgang's vault, good stuff. Here's hoping the second leg of his tour stops in Vegas.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
A WELLA WELLA WELLA

I like most of the older Springsteen stuff that my mom listened to as I was growing up.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
new album is awesome...one of his best in a loooong time.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
i'm a huge bruce fan, this May 7 benefit at the count basie in red bank is one of the best shows he's played in years. not that i could afford to be there, but a guy on youtube had a great seat and posted 8 clips. I guess it was as close it gets to seeing him in 1978.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=bmVwO7yfIyI[/media]

a very special setlist, probably once in a lifetime (at least after 1978)
[media]http://brucespringsteen.net/art/setlists/basie_1.jpg[/media]

ED BANK, NEW JERSEY
Wednesday, May 7

Drop the needle and pray

by Chris Phillips

As I stood on the Count Basie Theatre sidewalk after this show, basking in the afterglow of "one of those nights," a friend of mine emerged from the crowd filing out with a different kind of look on his face. He was disappointed in the show. "Really, it was pretty much all songs we've heard lately," he said, "it was just the sequencing that was different." Just the sequencing? The sequencing was everything! We agreed to disagree, but I remain baffled that any fan could have been less than dumbstruck by this grand experiment.

Red Bank, Joseph Quever

I've seen Cheap Trick, over the course of three nights, recreate their first three albums live on stage; R.E.M. did it once on their Green tour. Hell, Garry Tallent has a cover band called the Long Players that specializes in this very thing ("We'll pick a classic album and we'll do it, beginning to end," he told me a couple years back, "and we'll do it one time, one time only. We've done Blonde on Blonde, Let it Bleed, After the Gold Rush, Sgt. Pepper... the list goes on.") But Springsteen has never indicated any inclination or interest in doing anything like this. In 1976, there were a handful of shows where all eight songs from Born to Run made the set, but certainly not in album order. Now, 32 years later, Springsteen and the E Street Band tackled live performances of not one but two albums: Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town. Song-by-song, in sequence, live recreations of classic records that made for a fascinating, thrilling night.

If there were any question that attempting this would be a different sort of experience, that was answered in literally the first few notes, as they had to restart "Badlands" to get it right. As familiar as those songs may be to the band -- and to all of us, and in that very order, for those of us who've played those records incessantly -- it was clearly an exhilarating challenge to recast them this way in a live setting. During "Born to Run" -- not in an encore, of course, but in the middle of a set -- Bruce looked around with a laugh as if to say, "Yeah, can you believe we're doing this one now?" In the crowd, I hardly could. The story they were telling, with these songs back in their original album context, was as familiar and comfortable as an old leather jacket. But the thrill of being wrapped up in bringing it to life again, right now, didn't fade all night. I'll let Jeremy take you through it...

Time machine

by Jeremy Neuer

The Count Basie Theatre is a 1,500 seat theater in Downtown Red Bank and one of my favorite places to see a show. Joined by the E Street Band, Springsteen came back to play a benefit for the venue -- and possibly the best show I have ever seen. If it wasn't the best, it was in the top three.

After several introductory speeches, including Patti Scialfa and Brian Williams, Bruce and the band took the stage. Bruce talked about his history with the theater dating back to the Õ70s, and how he wanted to do something special for this night. So, the band was going to do something he said they have never done before and probably never do again: they were going to play the entire Darkness album and the entire Born to Run album (Darkness would be first, so as to not send everyone home suicidal). He then went on to talk a little bit about the Darkness album. He wrote it while living on a farm in Holmdel, and was going through a pretty difficult stretch.

Red Bank, Joseph Quever

The band launched in to "Badlands," the first track -- and within five seconds, they stopped. The goofed the opening. Bruce seemed pretty amused, announcing that they fucked it up already and maybe that's why they don't do this! He counted down again, the band locked in, and there wasn't another bad note to my ears for the rest of the night. "Adam Raised a Cain" ripped with Bruce's guitar work in fine form. He would take every guitar solo on the Darkness material except for one, which I will mention later.

"Something in the Night" absolutely rocked, the primal screams by Bruce matched by the crowd's for the first of many times. "Candy's Room" was played with such intensity. "Racing in the Street" is my favorite song on the album, the last song on side one. They nailed it. While I will always miss Danny, Charlie Giordano does a great job and Roy's piano was a perfect combination of beauty and power.

"The Promised Land" is a sharp contrast to "Racing." I am not sure if the characters in "Racing" believe there is a Promised Land anymore. I do, though. They played "Factory" true to the arrangement on the album (the original clocks in at 2:20, and I think this one was pretty close). "Streets of Fire" may be the least-played song on the album, but that didn't stop them from knocking it out the park. "Prove It All Night" is always one of my favorites. Bruce and Steven trading "Yeahs" back and forth... to me, it's the core of the band. For the beginning of the song, Nils was playing an acoustic guitar. I knew that on this tour, Nils has been playing the solo on this song, so it appeared to me that they were changing it up. Having not seen it on this tour, what hit me next was jaw-dropping: Nils' solo was simply astounding.

Finally, "Darkness on the Edge of Town" closed the first set. When I saw Bruce do an acoustic show in 2003, he mentioned that the line that he focuses on in "Darkness" is "Tonight, I'll be..." He explained that it was his promise to his audience. I will be here, and I will give my all. Tonight, Bruce and the E Street Band did just that.

Darkness isn't one of my favorite albums if I were to rank them, but I couldn't have enjoyed it more. Hearing the songs in sequential order brought me back to the beginning of my fandom. Before I listened to bootlegs, I listened to the albums over and over again. On my cd player, on the tape deck of my car.... While I was already a fan when I truly discovered Darkness, I remember connecting heavily with the record during my sophomore year of college. I guess I was 19 or 20 years old and like everyone else, I felt a little disconnected, not sure where I was going and who I was going with. This album faced those same questions.

After a 15-minute break, Bruce came back out and talked a little about Born to Run. He explained that they were on the verge of being kicked off the Columbia Records label. that it took him six months to write the title track, and another six to record it before they had it right. He then spent time trying to write songs that would be good enough to be on the same album. From the harmonica beginning of "Thunder Road" to the final sax note, they just nailed it. The "Mighty Max Horns" -- Eddie "Kingfish" Manion, Jerry Vivino, La Bamba, and Mark "Love Man" Pender -- joined for "Tenth Avenue Freeze-out," as Bruce jumped down i to the crowd during the intro. His interaction with Clarence on this song seems to have lessened in the last few years, but this night, they were as connected as ever.

"Night" was a straight-ahead freight train, with another great solo by Clarence. "Backstreets" is always a show stopper for me, one of the ultimate friendship songs. "We swore forever friends... on the backstreets until the end." Many of my best friends I have either met directly because we are Bruce fans or the friendship has been enhanced because of it. "Born to Run" always blows me away. I usually spend most of the song watching the crowd reaction, as at most shows they bring the house lights up. Here, in such a small venue, I had no choice but to watch the crowd.

The band just smoke on "She's the One," and then came one of the truly special moments of the night. "Meeting Across The River" is typically played live with just Roy on piano and Gary on bass. But the original recording included a very beautiful trumpet part. I had never heard the song performed live this way, but Mark Pender came out and just killed it. It was so good, I almost never want to hear the song again unless Mark is playing the trumpet. "Jungleland" was the knockout punch. The best thing about Soozie Tyrell joining the E Street Band in 2002 is the violin parts on this one. Steven's guitar solo, Clarence's sax solo, Roy's piano, Max pounding the drums... and Bruce's primal scream. It was everything and more.

Without even leaving the stage, the encores started with Bruce asking for the horns to come back out. He introduced a song that was left off of Darkness and gave the band some instructions regarding the second chorus (explaining that they hadn't played it in a while and that if they were going to screw up any part of the song, that would be it). "So Young and in Love" is just straightforward fun. In my opinion, it wasn't left off of the album because it was an inferior song; it just didn't fit the theme. It's way too much fun to be on Darkness. During this song, we walked down to the fourth row, as security wasn't bothering people in the aisle anymore.

Before the song started, I had predicted " Kitty's Back." Well, I was off my one song. For "Kitty," Bruce gave each of the horn players extended solo, as well as Charlie and Roy before ripping into his own. At the end, he said, "Kitty's Back... and she's got somebody with her!" Repeating that again, he and the band launched in to "Rosalita." The extra sounds created by the horn section added so much, and Bruce was having a ton of fun, even surprising Patti with a kiss. The show closed with a tremendous version of "Raise Your Hand," a true rarity and a showstopping surprise for both the crowd and the band.

All songs performed were written in 1978 or earlier. It was a time machine experience, to see Bruce and the E Street Band play this 1970s material in a theater. As I mentioned earlier, it took me back to when I was becoming a fan. I remember listening to Born to Run a million times before I had any bootlegs. I thought there was nothing better than driving in my convertible, blasting the music and signing at the top of my lungs. Tonight, singing again at the top of my lungs, maybe there is. As a senior in high school, really connecting with the music and the lyrics, to me, Bruce was on a road... and I wanted to be on that road, too. I have grown, and luckily, so has his music. I have been able to take it with me to different places: places where I danced with my wife on our wedding night; places where I sing to my daughter; places where I can think about my hopes for the future. Last night, it was great to get back to the beginning. To scream. To dance. And most importantly, to do it with friends.

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
Never liked hum and then after he did that 47 shots, it grew to utter disdain. My dad loved him and threw out every one of his cds after he did that.

Dad is a retired NYPD Sgt and you cannot even mention Bruce's name without setting him off.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I hope the Basie show comes out on DVD in a Darkness box set. I have the bootleg of the show and while the quality isn't good, the intensity of the performance is amazing.

I've just been blasting darkness for the past three days.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Old Bruce fan. His new stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Oh and Bruce, when you do a concert, shut up and play hits.
Nobody cares who the fuck you're voting for.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
i'm a huge bruce fan, this May 7 benefit at the count basie in red bank is one of the best shows he's played in years. not that i could afford to be there, but a guy on youtube had a great seat and posted 8 clips. I guess it was as close it gets to seeing him in 1978.
I totally accidentally stumbled on this show at my aunt's house. She has the Dish Network which has a bunch of Little Doggy channels, including the Springsteen one. I can't say I was very social that night, but I was in bliss, just wishing I was there.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I totally accidentally stumbled on this show at my aunt's house. She has the Dish Network which has a bunch of Little Doggy channels, including the Springsteen one. I can't say I was very social that night, but I was in bliss, just wishing I was there.
so are you saying it was simulcast on the sirius channel? i hadn't heard that.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
so are you saying it was simulcast on the sirius channel? i hadn't heard that.
It wasn't. They played a bootleg (which wasn't great quality).

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
It wasn't. They played a bootleg (which wasn't great quality).
so they have the rights to play bruce music all the time, yet they weren't able to professionally record that show? skinflints!

boodadude

Nov 14, 2006
What is the source of the Count Basie recording did everyone Hear. I have a boot that I got off of either Jungleland or dime thats credited to two source recording that I have no complaints considering its a boot. I think the titre is an expensive night in Red Bank also check out the show he played in Atlantic City in 2003

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
As I said above, I caught the Basie shows on Sirius a year ago, I'm wondering if they've replayed it since then on Channel 58? They've certainly played the 11/5/80 Phoenix concert enough.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Never liked hum and then after he did that 47 shots, it grew to utter disdain. My dad loved him and threw out every one of his cds after he did that.

Dad is a retired NYPD Sgt and you cannot even mention Bruce's name without setting him off.
Well, it was 41 shots, but who's counting? :rolleyes: