Brutal Legend

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
A roadie for a metal band and expert on all things metal is tuning a guitar when he drips blood on his belt buckle. The deamon face of the buckle is actually a representation of the deamon who's metal skin was used to make it. The roady gets beamed back in time and into a world that is a mix of Nordic tales and Metal iconography. He will now use his newly acquired axe "the bladed kind" and his trust axe "the stringed kind" to go on a heavy metal tour of bloodletting and defeat the demons in the world. Along the way he will free, rescue or recruit allies that will help him in battle.

Battles are focused on large scale and his guitar is actually the way he uses magic. Play a metal riff, guitar player style, and a certain spell effect happens...all with a heavy metal tie in of course. The game is supposed to be filled with metal references and original music by bands such as Sabbath. Get the new Game informer to check out the details.

Here is a sweet teaser trailer on YouTube.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjW4vWrLizQ[/media]

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Brutal Legend Dated
Rocktober is coming.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, April 21, 2009 - EA has given Double Fine's Brutal Legend a firm date, with the rock tinged game starring Jack Black to release in North America on October 13, with the UK following on October 16.

The work of Tim Schafer – the talent behind Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Psychonauts – Brutal Legend was one of the many victims of the merger between Activision and Vivendi. EA since stepped in to publish the game, and have set it on course for an October release.

"Wooo! Having an official release date is awesome," said an understandably excitable Schafer, "And how cool is it that EA threw down the dough to have the name of an entire month changed to Rocktober?"

Brutal Legend has impressed all who have laid eyes on it so far – find out more in our latest preview.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/974/974751p1.html

Finally. Here is the latest preview.

Brutal Legend Preview
Playing this game backwards reveals messages from the Devil.
by Hilary Goldstein
US, April 2, 2009 - Tim Schafer's had some rough luck since leaving LucasArts to start his own company. Double Fine's first game, Psychonauts, was kicked to the curb by Microsoft (likely due to some late night drunken decision by a shady executive with a hate for inventive games). It later found a home at Majesco, was released at a bargain price and got critical acclaim only to receive little attention from consumers. Double Fine's second game, Brutal Legend, was to be published by Sierra with the promise that oodles of marketing money would be put behind the game to make sure the masses were exposed to Schafer's genius. Activision and Blizzard (which includes Sierra Games) merged one night in a Vegas chapel and, once again, Double Fine was tossed on its fanny. But it looks like this story has a happy ending. Brutal Legend has been picked up by EA and it will, in fact, melt your face off.

You play as Eddie Riggs, the greatest roadie of all time. Too bad he's roadie for the worst metal band of all time. Eddie's an old-school metal head who dreams of the days when heavy metal was pure. As you'd expect, Eddie's belt buckle is magical and when a bit of his blood touches its surface he's teleported to another dimension built by the metal gods as a chronicle of all things headbangin'. I know--overused storyline, right? Don't worry, things get crazy so fast you'll forget this is yet another tale of a metalhead brought to a magical dimension to free enslaved humans from a demon overlord and his metal-hating minions.

Watch the latest Brutal Legend trailer.No sooner has Eddie awoken in this strange new land than he's being assaulted by a pack of demonic druids. Fortunately, the Separator, an ancient axe, is laying in front of him. With his head-lopping axe in hand and his six-string guitar, Clementine, on his back, Eddie has little problem dealing with the druids. Brutal Legend is, at heart, a hack-and-slash adventure that looks instantly familiar from the first axe-stroke. In fact, at first, it seems like it will be a little too similar to the button-mashing formula we've seen over the past decade. That changes pretty quickly.

The Separator is your primary means for dealing hand-to-hand damage, but Eddie can also quickly switch to Clementine for mystical damage. In the "real world" Clementine is just a normal guitar, but in the world of Brutal Legend playing chords is like casting spells. There are simple implementations of this, such as tapping a button to fire an electrical charge at enemies or holding down a button for a pyrotechnic assault that launches enemies in the air or hitting the axe and guitar buttons at the same time for the Earthshaker, a power chord that knocks down parts of the environment.

There are also guitar solos you can learn to cast more significant spells. Double Fine didn't want to show off the implementation of this (no, it doesn't use a guitar peripheral), but they did reveal the first solo you learn in the game. The Relic Raiser can be played whenever you spot "heavy metal vines." The vines react to the notes you play and rise up, revealing hidden artifacts.

In the first showing of the Relic Raiser, you uncover the various parts needed to create your own bad ass hot rod, known as The Deuce. Later on, you'll be able to explore the world and use the Relic Raiser to uncover new songs to play in the Deuce, other solos to play and even more goodies.

But let's stick with the Deuce for now. The hot rod is your steed and stays with you the rest of the game. It's the final piece of Eddie's three-pronged arsenal. And you get all of these things within the first half hour, so you can utilize them throughout the rest of Brutal Legend. While riding in the Deuce (also known as the Druid Plow) would be fun alone, a ride like this is always best enjoyed with a babe on your arm. Enter Ophelia.

You meet the smoking hot Ophelia while battling an early batch of druids. She's actually in disguise as a druid, but reveals herself moments before you separate her head from her shoulders.

"I hope I haven't been killing hot chicks this whole time," Eddie offers in one of the dozens of perfectly executed one-liners thrown out during the demo.

Eddie, in case you didn't know, is voiced by Jack Black. The Tenacious D frontman is a perfect fit for both the character and the game. While it's sometimes hard to translate a spoken punchline to the written word, trust me when I say that Brutal Legend will have you laughing out loud.
More here:
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/969/969334p1.html

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
So far, this game is button mashing goodness.
The voice acting is decent, but lots of the jokes may be lost on the younger crowd.
The game seems to be geared towards an older crowd (30+) that gets the joke and doesn't want to worry about complex combat and button maneuvering.

ShiftyMH

May 31, 2004
I'm surprised OnA made fun of this game without knowing anything about it. It's been one of the most anticipated games of the season.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
I'm surprised OnA made fun of this game without knowing anything about it. It's been one of the most anticipated games of the season.
I said the same thing in the listening thread that day. I chalk it up to blind hatred for Jack Black and their typical "if I'm not into it, it's dog shit" ignorance.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I haven't played the game, but I was very surprised at how much I liked the demo.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I said the same thing in the listening thread that day. I chalk it up to blind hatred for Jack Black and their typical "if I'm not into it, it's dog shit" ignorance.
They are not alone in this sentiment. I can't stand this overblown and over-exposed ass. I wouldn't be too keen on a Seth Rogen Video game either.

askewcore

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?
Dec 5, 2004
I kind of expected this game to be utter shit, but I've heard alot of good thing about it. I woulda bought it eventually just because I'm pretty sure there is some badass music in it.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
I kind of expected this game to be utter shit, but I've heard alot of good thing about it. I woulda bought it eventually just because I'm pretty sure there is some badass music in it.
That's what all the hype is built on, and trust me, it's all hype.
It's a 25-hour game from start to finish (minus about 100 bound dragons, and 3 buried legends).
The environment is beautiful, and the VO is great.
---
Brutal Legend is a very pretty game, and the VO work is terrific, but the campaign mode is very short.
In total, from start to finish with almost all side quests (about 25 bound dragons and most legend relics) took around 25 hours on normal difficulty.
Unfortunately, this game suffers from HaloSyndrome: lots of work were put into the environment, Voiceover and music, but gameplay suffers. Controls have a tendency to get clunky, and in a few instances forced me to revert to a previous save point.
Another bit that bothered me, is there's no way to go back to view a cutscene, or go back to a previous battle without losing current progress (ie: there's only one save slot - reverting back would force the player to climb back up the mountain).
There are some glaring limitations to an otherwise beautiful game that should have been ironed out during the QA process.
75/100
*Buyer's Remorse/Rent it first*

Dec 12, 2007
They are not alone in this sentiment. I can't stand this overblown and over-exposed ass. I wouldn't be too keen on a Seth Rogen Video game either.
x2 fucking hate both of those overblown jizz bags

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Rented this and it's a hell of a good time. I know I'm missing a ton of the metal references. Like I know some of those views must be album covers I don't recognize

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
i think i'd blow my head off if Seth Rogen ever makes a video game....I mean Jack Black is almost kinda bad enough

just curious though, is this game any fun at all? I have it in my Gamefly Queue...if not....its gonnneeeee

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's worth a rental, but definitely not worth buying.
I think I agree. Hell of a fun time, but the pony only has a few tricks. Heavily recommended rental or buy cheap used.

Best soundtrack in gaming history, BTW.