Building a 1911

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Ok, because I don’t have enough hobbies, or guns, I’m contemplating building a 1911 from an 80% lower receiver.
Has anyone done it? I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it and it seems fairly straightforward, buy the part, buy some jigs and a book. I actually have all of the tools required for the job I just need the rail jig and the “decking” jig which are about $250, there is a few files I would need and a couple specialty stones. The bummer is it seems that the sum of the parts far exceeds just buying a brand new pistol.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
In the shitty state of NY, we can't do that kind of stuff anymore. However, back in the day, I may have made a firearm or two from kits. They're fun to do, IMO.

Plus, not having any serial number, or perhaps a custom one would be sweet.

Serial Number: FUCK 0ff

Would so be worth it.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
In pa it’s still legal as long as you don’t sell them

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
In pa it’s still legal as long as you don’t sell them
I thought the private person's right to make their own firearm was a federal thing.
I need to read up on this, I've been interested in playing in the shop with a lower, but
never got to actually buying anything yet.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I thought the private person's right to make their own firearm was a federal thing.
I need to read up on this, I've been interested in playing in the shop with a lower, but
never got to actually buying anything yet.
It becomes federal when you try to sell them out side your state, some states require you have a manufacture license

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
It becomes federal when you try to sell them out side your state, some states require you have a manufacture license
I thought the guns you made as a private citizen couldn't be sold at all, never mind out of state...
But I don't know for sure.
I need to find out. Part of me thinks its a fun shop project to complete a lower and have my own gun, and
the other part realizes how hard it would be to explain a gun with no serial numbers if need be..

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Anything you make can't be sold. Just make shit for yourself and you'll be OK.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Anything you make can't be sold. Just make shit for yourself and you'll be OK.
And hope you never have to explain its existence to any LEO, regardless of why they're asking.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I thought the guns you made as a private citizen couldn't be sold at all, never mind out of state...
But I don't know for sure.
I need to find out. Part of me thinks its a fun shop project to complete a lower and have my own gun, and
the other part realizes how hard it would be to explain a gun with no serial numbers if need be..
I could just have it laser engraved with a serial number

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
There’s another possible scenario in which there is no serial number, and that is in the case of a home build. As of late, there has been a 80% or 60% receiver complete craze. In these particular cases, the gun cannot be sold or transferred and must only be for the manufacturer’s own personal use. If it is a home build manufactured by yourself, using your own equipment, for your own personal use, no serial number is required.
https://www.pennlago.com/are-firearms-without-serial-numbers-illegal/

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Well, I got my shit from brownells, finally, I ordered the “jig” for the ed Brown beaver tail, and I ordered a Wilson combat “drop in” guess what? I’m going to just use the Wilson. fuck cutting up the frame on a functional firearm, the part is going to need to be cleaned up a little bit smoothing out some rough spots but as far as I’m concerned the tolerances are ok with me I would rather have the fit be slightly loose than machine fit tight. I’ve got like 5 projects going right now so the pistol is on the back burner

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

Well it’s ready to test fire, I went with the Wilson combat “drop in” beaver tail, I didn’t really want to chop up the frame of a “new” gun, it fits ok for me, I still have to do a little fitting and finishing, I also added the extended safety which is a little stiff, I filed it down to fit, same with the grip safety, which is sticking slightly, but it’s sticking “off” so it’s not an issue, I decided to go with the zebra wood grips, the screws didn’t sit properly on the right side, they were standing about 1/32 proud of the grip and I really wanted them to be recessed completely, I will just put those in stock as a spare set I’m stilling waiting on the Delta medallions

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

Well if you want to waste an hour listing to my philly accent

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
There’s a gun show at the end of the month, I think I might pick up at least an aluminum 80% 1911 lower