Building a deck

Haeder

South Dakota
I have access to a radial arm saw and a miter saw. Both belong to my father-in-law and would cost me nothing to use. My obsession with buying new tools has me wanting to purchase a sliding compound miter saw and a miter saw stand. The $500-$1,000 expense is totally unnecessary but the desire to purchase new power tools consumes me.

And Father's Day presents me with the perfect excuse for such an acquisition.

Going fishing tomorrow and Saturday. Maybe a few days away will be enough to squash my consumerist desires.

LiLJimmysHog

Professional negative prick
I have to build a deck on our house we bought in Oct. We have one now but it's about 15-20 years old and hasn't been maintained for a while. I am just too lazy to do it. I really suck at life.

I have access to a radial arm saw and a miter saw. Both belong to my father-in-law and would cost me nothing to use. My obsession with buying new tools has me wanting to purchase a sliding compound miter saw and a miter saw stand. The $500-$1,000 expense is totally unnecessary but the desire to purchase new power tools consumes me.

Going fishing tomorrow and Saturday. Maybe a few days away will be enough to squash my consumerist desires.
Ooooh check this one out....

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287

I got hard looking at it... gah...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

i also have a "need a new tool" obsession, i quench the thirst by buying harbor freight, now i know that harbor freight is junk, but, i also use the theory that if I'm not going to use it less than twice a year then i can't justify buying a "good" one, I'm now on the fence about getting a new table saw, but, i only use it maybe two or three times a year on certain jobs, i know mine is fucked up so I've learned how to "work around" the fuck ups. I'm more tempted to go buy a new mig welder.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I have a miter saw ad was doing laminate flooring and found it wouldn't cut all the way across. It left maybe 1/4" which I broke and trimmed and that end went under floor trim anyway. When faced with more flooring work, I got a 10" sliding saw from Harbor Freight with a bigger blade and it has been great for several years now. In the new daily flyer they mail me, it is $89.99 with a coupon.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Do yourself a favor and be sure to spend the extra money on the weather coat. A couple extra bucks per can will save you serious cash down the line.

Do yourself a favor and be sure to spend the extra money on the weather coat. A couple extra bucks per can will save you serious cash down the line.
Is that that wax coating one? They just introduced that coating to most of the PT we sold. Only downside is you had to wait a month or so for it to weather before you could apply stain.

You can pick up older c-man radial saws for next to nothing on c-list. There is a recall on them where you send in the motor, and they give you $100. If you do it right you get a saw for the project, and some cash back after you are done.

I got a non sliding 10" horror fright miter saw last year for cheap. It is ok for general hackery, but the fence isn't straight, the miter detents at the common angles are wrong, and the dust bag zipper broke the first time I emptied it.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Constructing a deck can be tricky, but once you have the mana base figured out, it's smooth sailing.

Haeder

South Dakota

12" Hitachi dual bevel sliding compound miter saw. Picked up a pair of spare blades and a miter saw stand as well.

Lumber delivery should come later this week.

Nice. I like Hitachi tools, I just wish they weren't designed to look like a 5 year old's sneakers.

NotSoFast

Nice. I like Hitachi tools, I just wish they weren't designed to look like a 5 year old's sneakers.
I have A Hitachi 2 cycle leaf blower. Very powerful and has never failed to start on the first or second pull.

Haeder

South Dakota
Well, he did recognize the reference, so you should still feel bad and so should he.
In my own defense - I didn't know what he was talking about without doing The Google for "mana base". The results made me feel dirty and weak and even a little upset with Neckbeard.

Back to less sissy things......

Lumber is being delivered Thursday. Hoping to start construction on Friday or Saturday.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Well, he did recognize the reference, so you should still feel bad and so should he.
like a guy with a profile that references a song about dungeons and dragons wouldn't know about deck construction and mana bases.

Haeder

South Dakota
Construction under way. Got about three hours of work done tonight.

First row of posts.

Second row of posts.

Back to work tomorrow.

maz

TRueWDTer
I would just leave those as hitching posts
For your horseriding friends

Haeder

South Dakota
Chased off the job site by the storm sirens and rain blowing sideways and 60 mph straight-line winds. Wanted to have more decking than this done but mother nature foiled my plans.

Haeder

South Dakota
Tornado missed us by at least 10 miles. Got delayed by 45 minutes and managed to get half of the decking on. Once again, the dog didn't do a goddamn thing to help.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Tornado missed us by at least 10 miles. Got delayed by 45 minutes and managed to get half of the decking on. Once again, the dog didn't do a goddamn thing to help.

Well, I see the animals are starting to show up. I warned you. Did you listen? No.