Building a deck

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Tornado missed us by at least 10 miles. Got delayed by 45 minutes and managed to get half of the decking on. Once again, the dog didn't do a goddamn thing to help.

As well he shouldn't. You wanted the deck, you build it.

Haeder

South Dakota
Took a few days off and went to Omaha. Family vacation to the Omaha Zoo. Might be the bestest zoo in the US. The Old Market area downtown is worth seeing too - with the exception of the dirty filthy hippies singing/wailing on a street corner about the woes of corporations and profits. Thankfully, cops on horses rode by and told them to go be fat somewhere else.

Back to work on the deck. Got this far with the decking and got rained out. I've gotta trim the stringers so the outside of the rim joist sits a quarter inch inside of the last deck board.

Back at it tomorrow morning.

5skin

Who the fuck doesn't cut every single joist the same length?!

Fuckn Nebraska, pfft.

Haeder

South Dakota
Who the fuck doesn't cut every single joist the same length?!

Fuckn Nebraska, pfft.
If you wait to trim joists until the last deck boards are ready to be nailed then you don't have to notch out a space for each rail post. Belated joist trimming means the last deck board can be flush with the outside edge of the rim joist.

And not fuckn Nebraska. Fuckn South Dakota.

I built a deck with my buddy who is a tool and dye maker... he's measuring shit to the thousandth of a inch. Not realizing that wood shrinks and expands.

If you wait to trim joists until the last deck boards are ready to be nailed then you don't have to notch out a space for each rail post. Belated joist trimming means the last deck board can be flush with the outside edge of the rim joist.

And not fuckn Nebraska. Fuckn South Dakota.
Oh could you have a look at the grade stamp on the decking... curious where it came from.

Haeder

South Dakota
Oh could you have a look at the grade stamp on the decking... curious where it came from.
Will do. It's called cedartone and it came from Menards. As far as I know, they are the only place that carries cedartone.

Will do. It's called cedartone and it came from Menards. As far as I know, they are the only place that carries cedartone.
Ya if ya can shoot a picture of the grade stamp... the distributor is calling it a premium product so (guessing) should be a #1, kiln dried SPF (spruce, pine, fir) species is going to depend where it is made/harvested.

5skin

Home Depot carries it, good stuff with the treatment and stain pressed in.
Just started a little job using it outside Omaha.

Haeder

South Dakota
Ya if ya can shoot a picture of the grade stamp... the distributor is calling it a premium product so (guessing) should be a #1, kiln dried SPF (spruce, pine, fir) species is going to depend where it is made/harvested.
Here ya go......

Southern Yellow Pine... all from Alabama.

Just remember building a deck way the fuck up north and we got lumber from the local store up there and it was so wet it would squirt when you put a nail in it.

Haeder

South Dakota
Southern Yellow Pine... all from Alabama.

Just remember building a deck way the fuck up north and we got lumber from the local store up there and it was so wet it would squirt when you put a nail in it.
Some of the treated lumber I'm using is that wet. The gaps between deck boards will nearly double when it dries completely.

Some of the treated lumber I'm using is that wet. The gaps between deck boards will nearly double when it dries completely.
I guess the stuff you have they didn't put that wax coating on it.

Haeder

South Dakota
Spent today cutting stringers and building steps.

Building steps is time consuming. Finished building a set of stairs and had to do it all over again.

Quit early today. The lawn needed mowing. Off to the lake tomorrow.

Oh what are you going to do under the deck? HD landscape fabric and warshed gravel or peastone?

Haeder

South Dakota
Oh what are you going to do under the deck? HD landscape fabric and warshed gravel or peastone?
Probably washed river rock over repurposed silage tarp. Silage tarp is infinitely better than landscape fabric and I can get all I need for free.

5skin

No frost free footing for the steps will allow them to work up and down through the seasons and pull loose. Not to mention the trip hazard from different riser height on the bottom step.
Do they have simple division in South Dakota?

No frost free footing for the steps will allow them to work up and down through the seasons and pull loose. Not to mention the trip hazard from different riser height on the bottom step.
The stairs are on a hinge...

Haeder

South Dakota
There's 4 inches of concrete poured over 10 inches of crushed rock sitting on undisturbed clay that supports the bottom of the stair treads. Hopefully, it doesn't get up and walk away.

I trimmed an inch and a quarter off the bottom of the stair treads to even out the bottom riser height with the rest of the steps. No rookie mistakes here sir.

5skin

I trimmed an inch and a quarter off the bottom of the stair treads to even out the bottom riser height with the rest of the steps. No rookie mistakes here sir.
It appears that the bottom step is 5 1/4" while the rest are 7", that would never pass code.

Haeder

South Dakota
Rail posts. Tack, adjust for plumb in one direction, adjust for plumb in the other direction, add washers for spacers as necessary, drill holes, pound in carriage bolts, add a washer and a nut and ratchet everything tight.

Four more to add at the bottom of the steps. Then the railing.

5skin

Gonna give it a go getting a deck to the top door.