Building a deck

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
spray foam put a trash bag around them to catch the over flow and a cardboard box

Last edited:

NotSoFast

At least an hour. Mosquitoes got so damn bad at sunset that we couldn't stay outside.

Side note - need to insulate the underside of the sinks. Thought the drain system was leaking because there were drops of water falling on the deck from the undercarriage of the coolerworks.

Drains weren't leaking. Drips were the result of condensation.
Take the pvc plumbing to a hydrographics shop and have them dipped in a wood grain to match the table.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
One of the few things I hate about the Arizona desert - none of the houses have any character. Bunch of stucco'd beige boring neighborhoods. ('cept for my blue-gray abortion of a used house)

I dig the Fezmans domain.

THE FEZ MAN

One of the few things I hate about the Arizona desert - none of the houses have any character. Bunch of stucco'd beige boring neighborhoods. ('cept for my blue-gray abortion of a used house)

I dig the Fezmans domain.
i will take some more photos of it, the house was built some time around 1905, its a mix of cinder block, stone and brick, honestly i haven't dug into the actual structure to much. the previous owners that neglected the yard hemorrhaged money into the interior, they upgraded the bathrooms finished the basements and installed central air, the bummer with that is they installed a bead board drop ceiling to hide the ac runs, covering up what I'm assuming was open beam construction, meh, i would rather be comfortable than have beams that collect dust. the front hearth wall is well over 24" thick there are tons of built ins, i actually think that the kitchen/ up stares bathroom is an addition probably added sometime around 1950, this neighborhood was a large estate when this property was deeded separate from the original estate then, in 1950 or so it was subdivided completely into the mixed development it is now, the original house is across the street from us, i have a feeling that this was an out building or a summer retreat, those are quite popular around here a lot of rich folks from philly had summer houses in delaware county, the house to my right is a nice size split level owned buy chinamen and the house to my left is a newer mc mansion style house and i never see the people that live there except for once or twice a year.

short feel good story, my buddy "E" has three kids two less than 10 both of them think this is a castle and Ms. Fezman is the queen... its kind of cute every time they come over they ask if they can live in the castle.... ha ha its funny when they say it in there wee little voices

i will take some more photos of it, the house was built some time around 1905, its a mix of cinder block, stone and brick, honestly i haven't dug into the actual structure to much. the previous owners that neglected the yard hemorrhaged money into the interior, they upgraded the bathrooms finished the basements and installed central air, the bummer with that is they installed a bead board drop ceiling to hide the ac runs, covering up what I'm assuming was open beam construction, meh, i would rather be comfortable than have beams that collect dust. the front hearth wall is well over 24" thick there are tons of built ins, i actually think that the kitchen/ up stares bathroom is an addition probably added sometime around 1950, this neighborhood was a large estate when this property was deeded separate from the original estate then, in 1950 or so it was subdivided completely into the mixed development it is now, the original house is across the street from us, i have a feeling that this was an out building or a summer retreat, those are quite popular around here a lot of rich folks from philly had summer houses in delaware county, the house to my right is a nice size split level owned buy chinamen and the house to my left is a newer mc mansion style house and i never see the people that live there except for once or twice a year.

short feel good story, my buddy "E" has three kids two less than 10 both of them think this is a castle and Ms. Fezman is the queen... its kind of cute every time they come over they ask if they can live in the castle.... ha ha its funny when they say it in there wee little voices
Hmmm I guess they didn't have those small diameter high velocity ones available when they put the ac in eh.

THE FEZ MAN

Hmmm I guess they didn't have those small diameter high velocity ones available when they put the ac in eh.
im assuming they were just cheep and there is not a lot of space to install that kind of stuff in a home that was never designed for it,

im assuming they were just cheep and there is not a lot of space to install that kind of stuff in a home that was never designed for it,
Well they would have to open up walls and ceilings... and I am guessing that vintage of house still has horse hair plaster and prob some sort of plaster cove where the walls meet the ceiling.

Come to think of it for a house like that you could put in those split air conditioners. And get some zoning out of them as well. If you wanted to see the ceilings again.

Haeder

South Dakota
Well they would have to open up walls and ceilings... and I am guessing that vintage of house still has horse hair plaster and prob some sort of plaster cove where the walls meet the ceiling.
I've ripped out and hauled away tons of horse hair plaster and I'll not do it again. Tearing the stuff apart is a pain in the ass. Putting it up - smoothly - must have been a royal pain in the ass.

I would never initiate a tussle with someone who makes, or made, a living in the horse hair plaster field. Those guys lugged that heavy crap by the bucketload and spent most of their days working at shoulder height or above. They must have been the brutish beasts of the craftsman world.

I've ripped out and hauled away tons of horse hair plaster and I'll not do it again. Tearing the stuff apart is a pain in the ass. Putting it up - smoothly - must have been a royal pain in the ass.

I would never initiate a tussle with someone who makes, or made, a living in the horse hair plaster field. Those guys lugged that heavy crap by the bucketload and spent most of their days working at shoulder height or above. They must have been the brutish beasts of the craftsman world.
Well when you watch one of those renovation shows tends to be old Europeans doing it (well in the norf east). As I doubt some millennial would do such demanding work.

Haeder

South Dakota
A couple years later.......

Building a deck for a relative. She started out wanting a deck that was 8' x 10'. Too small. 10' x 12' might be better. Building starts and the size is increased one more time to 12' x 12'.

12" diameter footings with crushed rock packed in the bottom of the hole. Someone else installed the holes.

Add wood.

And moar wood.

Original plan called for square metal spindles in the railing. That changed. We had to sidestep building codes when building railings.

Living in a small town means no building inspectors.

Ran out of lumber for the rails. No lumber yards nearby open on Memorial Day. Will finish tomorrow.

Gonna do a 10 x 30 on the back of my house, as I am tired to running down a flight of stairs to BBQ... also no where to really sit.

Gonna look kinda like this. Was gonna wrap it to the left to the side door but damn near doubles the price of materials. Also eventually I am going to put a garage beside the house and would have to be torn down. Thinking PT deck and Composite Handrails.

Haeder

South Dakota
Gonna do a 10 x 30 on the back of my house, as I am tired to running down a flight of stairs to BBQ... also no where to really sit.

Gonna look kinda like this. Was gonna wrap it to the left to the side door but damn near doubles the price of materials. Also eventually I am going to put a garage beside the house and would have to be torn down. Thinking PT deck and Composite Handrails.

If you have it built as a free-standing deck none of your siding will need to be removed.

Menards carries pressure treated lumber called Cedartone that looks like cedar. A little more cost than normal pressure treated lumber but it looks better.

Doing the work yourself?

If you have it built as a free-standing deck none of your siding will need to be removed.

Menards carries pressure treated lumber called Cedartone that looks like cedar. A little more cost than normal pressure treated lumber but it looks better.

Doing the work yourself?
Nah I'll tie it into the house so I only have to do one row of posts. Also I need some extra bits of siding for "just in case" as I don't have much in the ways of spares.

Actually that brown stuff has been up in Canada for a few years my parents did a deck you can land a helicopter with it so bascically no lawn to mow. Well in the back. I'll do it in the reg shit, let it weather for a year, powerwarsh then top coat it with a translucent stain. Prob Cabots if I can still get it.

I'll do some of it and hire a contractor to do like holes, posts and framing. Rest I'll prob do myself. As he want to nail the decking down where as I want to do either a hidden fastener or screw it down. Which is a lot more labor aka cha chinge more expensive. I do want to do the composite railings at the minimum. And I might have enough to do the deck itself. But if I can do a deeper deck like 12' or 14' with PT for the same as composite I'd rather do that.

I know they do sell a "premium" deck board aka prob a #1 rather then a #2 so might look into that.

5skin

Have you looked at 5 year old composite railings?
I try to steer customers away from it in favor of Westbury aluminum railing or wood with aluminum spindles.
The Cedartone will far out last AC2 no matter how well or often you stain/treat it. 6-7 years before you'll need to consider staining/treating it. The $950. difference in a deck that size is worth it imo.
Materials estimate $5500 AC2, $6800 Cedartone. Labor $18sqft stairs $800.

Have you looked at 5 year old composite railings?
I try to steer customers away from it in favor of Westbury aluminum railing or wood with aluminum spindles.
The Cedartone will far out last AC2 no matter how well or often you stain/treat it. 6-7 years before you'll need to consider staining/treating it. The $950. difference in a deck that size is worth it imo.
Materials estimate $5500 AC2, $6800 Cedartone. Labor $18sqft stairs $800.
Ya the ones at one of my broads are in great shape... prob is trying to find that Cedartone stuff here... HD lists it (but unavailable) and Lowes doesn't even list it.

Just emailed my local building supply and we will see.

5skin

I'm not a fan of how the composite gets chalky and brittle.

Haeder

South Dakota
I'm not a fan of how the composite gets chalky and brittle.
My neighbor has a composite deck that was built 5 years ago and the stuff they used still looks amazing. My in-laws used cheapo composite decking from Menards and it looks atrocious. Do some materials research before buying composite.

5skin

My neighbor has a composite deck that was built 5 years ago and the stuff they used still looks amazing. My in-laws used cheapo composite decking from Menards and it looks atrocious. Do some materials research before buying composite.
Love the composite decking, we install a lot of Timbertech and Azek. The composite railings blow.

I actually wanted to do the SS wire railings but holy shit it is double the cost plus then the regular... Really the only reason I wanted it besides an unobstructed view was easier to blow snow off of deck with that kinda railing.

Haeder

South Dakota
I actually wanted to do the SS wire railings but holy shit it is double the cost plus then the regular... Really the only reason I wanted it besides an unobstructed view was easier to blow snow off of deck with that kinda railing.
Nazi.