Building a deck

Did that person in the window come out and ask why you were taking pictures of their house?
Nah I'm not a ni...ce person so everything is good to go.

Actually were there to see this thing, that they sailed from Norway to the East Coast...

It's nice how they ran the power lines to match the railings.
Well it was settled in 1666 so gonna guess they didn't plan for electricity back then.

Like in Marblehead Massholia, they cut the corner off a building so George Washington's carriage could make a turn...

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I'm not a fan of how the composite gets chalky and brittle.
I dont like how it traps n radiates heat. Boards can get so hot you can get 3rd-2nd degree burns. When we do composite decking we run a sprinkler on it the entire time and whoever is setting the boards just brings an extra set of clothes n shoes for the end of the day. The last time we did obe before using a sprinkler me and other guy went home with our knees and hands burnt and blistered. My right knee had a blister that covered tge entire knee cap and stuck a half inch.

5skin

I dont like how it traps n radiates heat. Boards can get so hot you can get 3rd-2nd degree burns. When we do composite decking we run a sprinkler on it the entire time and whoever is setting the boards just brings an extra set of clothes n shoes for the end of the day. The last time we did obe before using a sprinkler me and other guy went home with our knees and hands burnt and blistered. My right knee had a blister that covered tge entire knee cap and stuck a half inch.
Cocksucker pads and gloves for your dickbeaters.
Your welcome.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Cocksucker pads and gloves for your dickbeaters.
Your welcome.
Yeah but they also are like being over a gas grill on hi which the sprinkler also helps with. Wearing kneepads and gloves in the summer sucks. That last time i got burned we also damn near had heat stroke. The other guy and i were acting like diabetics with low blood sugar.

5skin

Yeah but they also are like being over a gas grill on hi which the sprinkler also helps with. Wearing kneepads and gloves in the summer sucks. That last time i got burned we also damn near had heat stroke. The other guy and i were acting like diabetics with low blood sugar.
Fuckin' whiners, every God damn day with something.

Haeder

South Dakota
Building another deck - for my sister-in-law and her family this time.

14x28' freestanding about four feet high. Nine footing holes augered today. Setting sonotubes tomorrow. Concrete being delivered Monday. Lumber is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday.

This will be the largest freestanding deck I have built to date. The last one hasn't moved in two years and it's still solid as a rock but this one will be almost 3x larger and twice as high.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Building another deck - for my sister-in-law and her family this time.

14x28' freestanding about four feet high. Nine footing holes augered today. Setting sonotubes tomorrow. Concrete being delivered Monday. Lumber is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday.

This will be the largest freestanding deck I have built to date. The last one hasn't moved in two years and it's still solid as a rock but this one will be almost 3x larger and twice as high.
I keep thinking I want to build the deck behind my pool but don’t have the ambition to do the entire job myself

Haeder

South Dakota
Footings poured.

Fairly certain I got shortchanged on concrete. Ordered a yard. Should have been enough to do all nine footings and a pad for the steps with some left over. Filled 8 2/3 of the sonotubes and ran out. Had to finish the footings with 3 1/2 60 pound bags of sackcrete.

Not ideal but it will work.

Lumber will be delivered Wednesday.

THE FEZ MAN

Footings poured.

Fairly certain I got shortchanged on concrete. Ordered a yard. Should have been enough to do all nine footings and a pad for the steps with some left over. Filled 8 2/3 of the sonotubes and ran out. Had to finish the footings with 3 1/2 60 pound bags of sackcrete.

Not ideal but it will work.

Lumber will be delivered Wednesday.
Did it come in one of those little cement trucks? Or was it a full size truck? Just out of curiosity, because most of our local concrete guys charge for a minimum of 2yd

Haeder

South Dakota
Did it come in one of those little cement trucks? Or was it a full size truck? Just out of curiosity, because most of our local concrete guys charge for a minimum of 2yd
Full size truck.

I think the yard of concrete was only half of the $307 invoice. The rest was the small load fee and $4 per loaded mile delivery fee.

5skin

It takes six posts to support 16x32 and two footings for the stair landing.
Where's the 9th footing?

Haeder

South Dakota
It takes six posts to support 16x32 and two footings for the stair landing.
Where's the 9th footing?
Freestanding deck - no ledger board. 14x28'. 3 footings each at 2 feet, 14 feet, and 26 feet. There will be a 4x2' concrete pad for the stairs.

THE FEZ MAN

Full size truck.

I think the yard of concrete was only half of the $307 invoice. The rest was the small load fee and $4 per loaded mile delivery fee.
I have a feeling you got shorted, or they gave you exactly 1yd and your calculations were off on the pad.
FYI that’s cheep, anytime I’ve ordered concrete it’s been way more expensive like $500+

5skin

Freestanding deck - no ledger board. 14x28'. 3 footings each at 2 feet, 14 feet, and 26 feet. There will be a 4x2' concrete pad for the stairs.
Two footings will support a 16' header, a third is overkill. The stair landing needs to be frost free as well or it will heave over time.
Here code would require the pad to extend three feet beyond the last step.

Haeder

South Dakota
Two footings will support a 16' header, a third is overkill. The stair landing needs to be frost free as well or it will heave over time.
Here code would require the pad to extend three feet beyond the last step.
Yes - the third is overkill for bearing purposes.

I'm more concerned about lateral movement as the deck will not be attached to the house. The extra posts should address that issue.

5skin

Yes - the third is overkill for bearing purposes.

I'm more concerned about lateral movement as the deck will not be attached to the house. The extra posts should address that issue.
Cross brace the bottom of joists corner to corner. The additional posts won't do much.

Haeder

South Dakota
Fishing trip finished and the weather is finally dry enough to start above grade construction. Posts cut to height and marked for notching. Notched three 6x6s and quit because my circular saw blade is duller than shit. The new chisel, on the other hand, is a cutting wonder. Makes me want to start doing more timber frame style projects.

Will acquire a new saw blade tomorrow.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Oh hell yeah! Goodbye single pane aluminum leakers - hello vinyl every option available windows!

2 crews, one day - excellent result. All I have to do is a couple drywall crack touch ups and paint the trim around the kitchen window. Even the side lites to the front door were swapped out.

Looking forward to the quiet, lack of dust infiltration, and hopefully lower cooling bill.

Haeder

South Dakota
Oh hell yeah! Goodbye single pane aluminum leakers - hello vinyl every option available windows!

2 crews, one day - excellent result. All I have to do is a couple drywall crack touch ups and paint the trim around the kitchen window. Even the side lites to the front door were swapped out.

Looking forward to the quiet, lack of dust infiltration, and hopefully lower cooling bill.
I like it. I like it a lot.

I have double hung vinyl windows in my house. Cleaning them is simple. At least that's what my wife says.

Finished notching the deck posts tonight. New saw blade made a world of difference. New chisel works well too. Hope to have the main structure of the deck in place tomorrow evening after work.

5skin

Assembly begins.

Got rained out after getting a decent start.
I like the cedartone material.
I don't like seeing the cantilever over 24" for 2x12 as it's too much. That appears to be 2x8 that has a maximum cantilever of 16" when sistered together and nailed in pattern to each other. Separated support beams are weaker.

More than anything it just looks odd having smaller members supporting the weight of larger lumber.