Building A Modular House...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well after my divorce started looking for a house... and either were full of mold another the owners let their animals free range shit and piss... or such massive handyman disasters said fuck it gonna do a modular on 6 acres a couple of towns away from my ex... nothing fancy... just a small cape with a walk oot basement.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
My buddy who is a heat and vent guy is hooking me up (wholesale) with some Kraut uber efficient boiler and he got a bunch of European rads at half price via some over stock deal in Lynn.

I'll shoot hot Hydronic picts tomorrow... here's a tease...

No fucking ting ting when it heats up... oh and I oriented it on a east/west axis so I get sun pretty much all around the house all day. Prob add some solar panels when I get some moar cash.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Hmmm... I am trying to see if can have a high enough toilet so I can shoot through that upper dormer window at a deer... whilst taking a shit.

Wouldn't that be a violation of ME game laws?

Can't wait to see you getting busted on North Woods Law.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Wouldn't that be a violation of ME game laws?

Can't wait to see you getting busted on North Woods Law.
Gonna plant some apple trees so they will be considered a nuisance animal... and a tasty one at that.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Decent. Hell, nice even.

How long did it take to crane the two sections and roof together?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
A few hours... crane got there at 7... then they have to set it up... last bit hoisted up wanna say 3 pm.

Note everything done in the factory is screwed and glued. And my attic floor was first buttered with 2" of closed cell foam then blown cellulose on top.

I'll prob spray foam the attic when I turn it into a master suite.

Oh like anything you n can jack up the price with options like upgraded cabinets... granite counters etc...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Oh my boiler and rads are Eyetalian... almost sprung for the heated towel bar but thought it was a bit much.

SS tank... cheaper then a steel one go figure.

Note it is direct vented outside (not power vented) so it burns no interior air.

Oh the gray thing is the hot water storage tank. The boiler makes domestic hot water and with this system you could take a 4 hour plus shower if you wished.

Specs on the boiler...

http://www.qhtinc.com/biasi-products/cast-iron-boilers/b-10/

Last edited:

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Wait when did you get divorced?

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I used to do the prep for modulars and the misc finish work on them (decks, basement stairs, attached and interior garages, basement finishing, etc) after they were placed. They obviously look a hell of a lot better than they did 20 years ago when I was doing it. Back then they basically looked like double wide trailers on a foundation. The town I lived in banned them through ordinance for while by instituting roof slope regulations that the manufacturers couldn't/wouldn't meet at the time, which is one of the reasons why I went into law enforcement. That clearly doesn't seem to be a problem now though.

I still think they are pretty damn good houses, and the farther north you go, the better they are.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I used to do the prep for modulars and the misc finish work on them (decks, basement stairs, attached and interior garages, basement finishing, etc) after they were placed. They obviously look a hell of a lot better than they did 20 years ago when I was doing it. Back then they basically looked like double wide trailers on a foundation. The town I lived in banned them through ordinance for while by instituting roof slope regulations that the manufacturers couldn't/wouldn't meet at the time, which is one of the reasons why I went into law enforcement. That clearly doesn't seem to be a problem now though.

I still think they are pretty damn good houses, and the farther north you go, the better they are.

They build them on an assembly line in a warehouse. No exposure to the elements, which is a major plus, IMO.

Plus, they glue and screw the shit out of everything.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
They build them on an assembly line in a warehouse. No exposure to the elements, which is a major plus, IMO.

Plus, they glue and screw the shit out of everything.
And they have jigs and fixtures to keep shit lined up.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Wait when did you get divorced?
Couple of years ago... took me almost two years to get the rest of my property like my fishing tackle and shit from the house that's why I kept it on the DL. As she was/is a member here and didn't want fuck up getting my stuff back.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
We've got a few housing factories in South Dakota that build houses indoors and truck them to the site where the house will be placed. The house can be built at the same time the site work is being completed and the whole construction window is only three months if everything goes well.

Takes a fair amount of square footage, high sidewalls and tall doors to make a housing factory work. Gotta be nice for the builders too. Building a house away from the elements would be fantastic.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well my meter got hung yesterday (after waiting about 10 days) so I should be getting a date for when I get finally hooked up for power. Which means the rest of the boiler bits can go in and the place can be heated... so they can patch where the two halves join and any repairs.

The joys of dealing with a monopoly.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
We've got a few housing factories in South Dakota that build houses indoors and truck them to the site where the house will be placed. The house can be built at the same time the site work is being completed and the whole construction window is only three months if everything goes well.

Takes a fair amount of square footage, high sidewalls and tall doors to make a housing factory work. Gotta be nice for the builders too. Building a house away from the elements would be fantastic.
Mine was done by these guys...

http://www.muncyhomes.com/

One kinda strange thing is since they have to pass through CT the maximum width of each bit can only be 13'6"...

Again like a mentioned you can customize the shit out of them... I just fiddled with the kitchen... got hard surfaces for all the floors (I have two dogs) and did things like put 50lb rated ceiling boxes so if I want to put in ceiling fans I'm all set.

Even the walls are just primed as I didn't want to pick colours... well prob one of the harem will pick the various colours,

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Mine was done by these guys...

http://www.muncyhomes.com/

One kinda strange thing is since they have to pass through CT the maximum width of each bit can only be 13'6"...

Again like a mentioned you can customize the shit out of them... I just fiddled with the kitchen... got hard surfaces for all the floors (I have two dogs) and did things like put 50lb rated ceiling boxes so if I want to put in ceiling fans I'm all set.

Even the walls are just primed as I didn't want to pick colours... well prob one of the harem will pick the various colours,
Hope your new house turns out to be everything you're hoping for. Nothing better than that new house smell and it sounds like you put more thought into the infrastructure of the house than most people would. Bet this whole process is pissing your ex off something fierce.

In South Dakota we can move houses that are 30+ feet wide and 20+ feet high. Getting stuck behind a house that takes up both lanes sucks.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Hope your new house turns out to be everything you're hoping for. Nothing better than that new house smell and it sounds like you put more thought into the infrastructure of the house than most people would. Bet this whole process is pissing your ex off something fierce.

In South Dakota we can move houses that are 30+ feet wide and 20+ feet high. Getting stuck behind a house that takes up both lanes sucks.
No idea... haven't talked directly to her since ummm February 2013 when she blamed me for a flood at the farm oh and the car I bought her lurching and getting stuck in a snow bank. Cuz as we know I am omnipotent and have control over weather and vehicles.

At least my old neighbor have informed me she put on a shit load of weight... tee hee.

If anything I am more worried about the horse as I was her caretaker.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Couple of years ago... took me almost two years to get the rest of my property like my fishing tackle and shit from the house that's why I kept it on the DL. As she was/is a member here and didn't want fuck up getting my stuff back.
Which girl poster is she? I'll guess fenrir.