PC Building a new gaming PC

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
When I upgrade my video card after my monitor I will be moving up from a 1070. So, unless I can get 2 1080 Tis for less that a 2080 I will probably get the 2080. All reviews will have come in by then.
The reviews are in. 2080 and 1080 Ti are tied. Except in games like GTA which the 1080 Ti actually BEATS the 2080.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I guess I’ll just settle for a 1080 ti. I still have a GTX 1080
Nothing wrong with the 1080. I'd wait for the next series of cards.

After I sold my 1070 during the video card boom in Feb for 700 bucks. I got a GTX 960 to replace it for 140 bucks and it runs everything I've thrown at it.

I can't really think of any games that are coming out soon that need much graphics power. I might not even upgrade until CyberPunk comes out. Can prob grab a free copy of the game with a new card like I did when witcher 3 came out.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.

After I sold my 1070 during the video card boom in Feb for 700 bucks. I got a GTX 960 to replace it for 140 bucks and it runs everything I've thrown at it.

I can't really think of any games that are coming out soon that need much graphics power. I might not even upgrade until CyberPunk comes out. Can prob grab a free copy of the game with a new card like I did when witcher 3 came out.
I have a 970 and It runs everything fine. The new cards are mighty tempting though.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator

But that could take a long timmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaa....

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Well, if makes you happy and you got the extra cash. Buy it.
My GTX is fine and overclocks well. If I start playing some of the new games and I feel it’s chugging I’ll think about something new.

Or if I just get bored...

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
There's also the 2070.

I'm hoping this stupid launch gives them a good kick in the ass for their next product/product line.
The 2070 will be an RTX card, so higher price tag is likely.

Thing about this launch is it's new tech, so it has that high early adopter tax. And like all other tech, it will get less expensive down the road. So it's a different launch than the last couple of generations making it way expensive on the higher end, but that low end could be a really great budget friendly line.

Next gen, we'll probably see a pricing structure similar to the 1000 series.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
At this point I am just waiting until drivers show up and all aspects can truly be tested. I still need to upgrade my monitor.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
My GTX is fine and overclocks well. If I start playing some of the new games and I feel it’s chugging I’ll think about something new.

Or if I just get bored...
You seem bored,

you should get it.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Purchased an EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 for $430.

I went with the EVGA because the step up program lets me upgrade anytime within 90 days of the original purchase.

The new line of cards arn't much of an upgrade, but if driver updates down the road make them better. I can always get something better with EVGA.

I love the lights on the card. Much better than STRIX in that regard.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Purchased an EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 for $430.

I went with the EVGA because the step up program lets me upgrade anytime within 90 days of the original purchase.

The new line of cards arn't much of an upgrade, but if driver updates down the road make them better. I can always get something better with EVGA.

I love the lights on the card. Much better than STRIX in that regard.
The RTX 2070 is a bit better than a 1080 and has the fancy pantsy ray tracing shit. Plus, the $500 MSI Armor OCs to match the $600 model without thermal problems. So, there's that.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
The RTX 2070 is a bit better than a 1080 and has the fancy pantsy ray tracing shit. Plus, the $500 MSI Armor OCs to match the $600 model without thermal problems. So, there's that.
I was eyeing the 2070 but I'm not sure its worth the money. With the step up program I'd have to pay 200 bucks for the best 2070 model. That only nets me about 25% performance increase over the 1070 Ti.

I think I'd spend my money better by upgrading another part of my system. Like finally upgrading my 250GB SSD to a 1TB SSD for instance. Maybe check out a better monitor, if there are any new monitors that is.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
I was eyeing the 2070 but I'm not sure its worth the money. With the step up program I'd have to pay 200 bucks for the best 2070 model. That only nets me about 25% performance increase over the 1070 Ti.

I think I'd spend my money better by upgrading another part of my system. Like finally upgrading my 250GB SSD to a 1TB SSD for instance. Maybe check out a better monitor, if there are any new monitors that is.
You can find a good 1TB SSD for less than $150 and a cheap ass one for about $115 if you don't plan on putting an OS on it, it's fine. Certainly a better use of cash. Until the next gen of GPUs.
Nothing too appealing on monitors either. Unless you want to drop about $2000 on a 4k 144hz monitor.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
You can find a good 1TB SSD for less than $150 and a cheap ass one for about $115 if you don't plan on putting an OS on it, it's fine. Certainly a better use of cash. Until the next gen of GPUs.
Nothing too appealing on monitors either. Unless you want to drop about $2000 on a 4k 144hz monitor.
The lack of space on the SSD is annoying as hell sometimes. Like today I was downloading a 38GB torrent of a 54 episode TV show. I had to keep deleting or moving files to fit it all on the god damn SSD drive before moving it to my 1TB slave HD.

As far as monitors go, its a crap shoot for me. My Acer G257HU 25" 1440p good and has no dead pixels. If I invest in an expensive monitor and have to keep sending it back for pixels or its picture quality isn't much better I will be pissed.

So as of right now this is my system.

CASE: Corsair Air 740
CPU: Intel 8600k
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
MEMORY: 16GB G. Skill TridentZ 3200ghz DDR4
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i
VIDEOCARD: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING
HARD DRIVE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w
MONITOR: Acer G257HU 25" 1440p

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
The lack of space on the SSD is annoying as hell sometimes. Like today I was downloading a 38GB torrent of a 54 episode TV show. I had to keep deleting or moving files to fit it all on the god damn SSD drive before moving it to my 1TB slave HD.

As far as monitors go, its a crap shoot for me. My Acer G257HU 25" 1440p good and has no dead pixels. If I invest in an expensive monitor and have to keep sending it back for pixels or its picture quality isn't much better I will be pissed.

So as of right now this is my system.

CASE: Corsair Air 740
CPU: Intel 8600k
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
MEMORY: 16GB G. Skill TridentZ 3200ghz DDR4
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i
VIDEOCARD: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING
HARD DRIVE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w
MONITOR: Acer G257HU 25" 1440p
I have one of those. It's pretty solid and goes on sale at Best Buy a lot.

Got tired of trying to see text from the couch on my 55" TV so picked up a gaming monitor for the coffee table.

Asus PG279Q and attached it to the coffee table with an articulating arm mount: amazon

This thing probably wont last a year before myself or someone else drunkenly stumbles into or smashing the screen. Fucking slick being able to swing it between the couch and recliner. Using the 55" TV for extended desktop.

Also picked up a g703 mouse, fucking rainbow lights on mice now, yuck. Ordering the logitech g613 keyboard to go with it.