PC Building a new gaming PC

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Went from a 25 inch budget monitor to this 34 inch wide screen beast.

I've only played about 1 minute of games on it but I can say that games with a wide screen resolution are a new experience. You can see so much shit that its really incredible.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Curved screens do nothing for me but a good monitor is a good monitor. Specific model?

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Curved screens do nothing for me but a good monitor is a good monitor. Specific model?

Dell Alienware 1900R 34.1", Curved Gaming Monitor LED-Lit, WQHD 3440 x 1440p Resolution, 4ms 120Hz Overclocked Refresh Rate, NVIDIA G-Sync, 21:9 Aspect Ratio, HDMI, Display Port, 4x USB 3.0, AW3418DW

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator

Dell Alienware 1900R 34.1", Curved Gaming Monitor LED-Lit, WQHD 3440 x 1440p Resolution, 4ms 120Hz Overclocked Refresh Rate, NVIDIA G-Sync, 21:9 Aspect Ratio, HDMI, Display Port, 4x USB 3.0, AW3418DW
So how’s it work with games, some support it and some don’t, yeah? If they don’t, what resolution do you use?

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
So how’s it work with games, some support it and some don’t, yeah? If they don’t, what resolution do you use?
It goes to 1440p with black bars on the side if it doesn't support 21:9. Games with 21:9 resolution look amazing though. There's a forum that does nothing but make 21:9 settings for games that don't support it though. I need to check them out.

Also, the G-Sync and the 120hz refresh rate makes games run very smooth compared to what I'm used to.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
It goes to 1440p with black bars on the side if it doesn't support 21:9. Games with 21:9 resolution look amazing though. There's a forum that does nothing but make 21:9 settings for games that don't support it though. I need to check them out.

Also, the G-Sync and the 120hz refresh rate makes games run very smooth compared to what I'm used to.
Oh yeah I’ve been running my ASUS G-Sync and enjoying the feel of high frame rates for a while now.

I was looking at that ASUS 4K 144hz

...but I’ll wait till someone offers one at bigger than 27”. Not only that it costs almost as much as my TV. That ain’t right.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Oh yeah I’ve been running my ASUS G-Sync and enjoying the feel of high frame rates for a while now.

I was looking at that ASUS 4K 144hz

...but I’ll wait till someone offers one at bigger than 27”. Not only that it costs almost as much as my TV. That ain’t right.
1800 bucks is one hell of a price tag as well. I'm aware that specific model is considered the best gaming monitor, but "good lord that's a lot of money!".

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
1800 bucks is one hell of a price tag as well. I'm aware that specific model is considered the best gaming monitor, but "good lord that's a lot of money!".
It’s also the first of its kind so I think I’ll wait for a few more iterations.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
It’s also the first of its kind so I think I’ll wait for a few more iterations.
Also, I don't know if there's any video card that can output 144 fps at 4k in most games. The graphics cards need to catch up to the monitors and RTX ain't helping.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Installed my 1TB SSD I got during black friday finally.

Seeing only 931GB of space bothers me enough though I know the reason why it happens.

Ok, so just finished building my new computer. Last one was a I-75-3770k but drivers under win 7 have gotten flaky, so wanted an update.
I had a i5-8400 on my amazon list and was planning a modest build. Didn’t expect my mate to get an insurance settlement and buy me a i9-9900k. Nor did I expect a bonus, so balls to the wall I went. Initial specs were actually more insane but the cost got past the reasonable level.
I9-9900k
MSI z390 Meg godlike
Corsair vengeance Lpx 64GB
970 Pro m2 system drive
860 Evo game druve
2 hdds I already had for other data
Gigabyte 1080 from old computer
Seasonic prime 1000 psu

I’m quite happy with performance. Games load instantly, and it’s really quiet. Should hold up well for several years.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Ok, so just finished building my new computer. Last one was a I-75-3770k but drivers under win 7 have gotten flaky, so wanted an update.
I had a i5-8400 on my amazon list and was planning a modest build. Didn’t expect my mate to get an insurance settlement and buy me a i9-9900k. Nor did I expect a bonus, so balls to the wall I went. Initial specs were actually more insane but the cost got past the reasonable level.
I9-9900k
MSI z390 Meg godlike
Corsair vengeance Lpx 64GB
970 Pro m2 system drive
860 Evo game druve
2 hdds I already had for other data
Gigabyte 1080 from old computer
Seasonic prime 1000 psu

I’m quite happy with performance. Games load instantly, and it’s really quiet. Should hold up well for several years.
Needs more memory.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
You need a 2080 Ti in there or nothing at all!!

Pretty sure 16 is more than enough for gaming. This kid is crazy!
Yea, I know I went overboard. I did research and saw that excess memory is no longer a bottleneck of its own. Might end up running VM’s etc after we build a new house so more is better.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Yea, I know I went overboard. I did research and saw that excess memory is no longer a bottleneck of its own. Might end up running VM’s etc after we build a new house so more is better.
House needs more memory.