PC Building a new gaming PC

You need a 2080 Ti in there or nothing at all!!
Waiting to see what the next gen AMD stuff does before I worry about the RTX cards. So far the 1080 is more then fine for 2560. Glad, as it looks great, and the 4k version of this monitor is $2000

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Yea, I know I went overboard. I did research and saw that excess memory is no longer a bottleneck of its own. Might end up running VM’s etc after we build a new house so more is better.
I don’t remember the specifics but when I was buying my current pretty RGB RAM, I read that 2 slots filled is slightly faster than 4. If it weren’t for that, is have 32g instead of 16.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Waiting to see what the next gen AMD stuff does before I worry about the RTX cards. So far the 1080 is more then fine for 2560. Glad, as it looks great, and the 4k version of this monitor is $2000
AMD is launching the Vega VII next month. It's apparently equal to a 2080 without raytracing, but at the same price! Which is just AMD being AMD in the GPU market. It seems they routinely fail to deliver when it comes to being competitive with NVIDIA on the higher end market.

AMD is launching the Vega VII next month. It's apparently equal to a 2080 without raytracing, but at the same price! Which is just AMD being AMD in the GPU market. It seems they routinely fail to deliver when it comes to being competitive with NVIDIA on the higher end market.
Glad a picked up a 1070 Ti instead of getting a 2070. Let Nvidia sit on those shitty cards and think about what they did.

75% price increase for <25% power increase over the last gen. What a bunch of assholes.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I was only kidding :action-sm

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Ray Tracing is pretty awesome and adds some pretty great effects but game devs are just getting in on it. It’s gonna be pretty standard I’m thinking.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
I looked into 4K monitors but at 27” I just don’t think it’s a game changer. If they come out with a non-laggy 30” 4K I might consider it. For now I think 2650x1440 @ 27” is the sweet spot.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Glad a picked up a 1070 Ti instead of getting a 2070. Let Nvidia sit on those shitty cards and think about what they did.

75% price increase for <25% power increase over the last gen. What a bunch of assholes.
New tech = more expensive in its first generation. If you're butt hurt about this, you haven't been very observant.

Ray Tracing is pretty awesome and adds some pretty great effects but game devs are just getting in on it. It’s gonna be pretty standard I’m thinking.
It certainly does, but Battlefield may have not been the best game to show it off with, since it's largely played in multiplayer where eye candy isn't nearly as important. If it came out in the newest Tomb Raider first and with refined initial performance, perception would have been better. But the next gen of RTX cards will probably be priced more closely to the 10xx series, just my guess. Because they'd sell a fuck ton of them.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
I looked into 4K monitors but at 27” I just don’t think it’s a game changer. If they come out with a non-laggy 30” 4K I might consider it. For now I think 2650x1440 @ 27” is the sweet spot.
Higher refresh rate > higher resolution.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
New tech = more expensive in its first generation. If you're butt hurt about this, you haven't been very observant.

It certainly does, but Battlefield may have not been the best game to show it off with, since it's largely played in multiplayer where eye candy isn't nearly as important. If it came out in the newest Tomb Raider first and with refined initial performance, perception would have been better. But the next gen of RTX cards will probably be priced more closely to the 10xx series, just my guess. Because they'd sell a fuck ton of them.
Quite you!

980->1080 was 50% performance increase with 9% price increase
Performance is great but it’s not only about making cards faster and faster. Effects have to evolve and Ray Tracing is pretty good stuff. Are the current ones overpriced? Yep. RTX cards will get more reasonable soon.

Last edited:

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Metro: Exodus looks good. I’ll proly get it for some RTX eye candy awesomeness. .

Performance is great but it’s not only about making cards faster and faster. Effects have to evolve and RAy Tracing is pretty good stuff. Are the current ones overpriced? Yep. RTX cards will get more reasonable soon.
Fuck the effects. No more wire hangers!

I had like 12 games I was trying to install and get to with my new 1TB HD and I dropped them all for Kenshi.

I'm on the verge of trying to open a base in semi-hostile territory. I think my 10 man unit is almost ready. Probably gotta hire 4 guys just to be archers for the walls and some people just to run the crating stations.

This game rules.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
No shit sales stunk. After the jump from the 900 series to the 1000, there was absolutely no way your average consumer would pay an enthusiast price with a performance increase less than the previous. Then there's the whole massive lack of games currently supporting ray tracing.

However, when they launch the next RTX line, if their prices are in line with the 1000 series, expect much difficulty finding a card for a few months.