Building A Website From The Ground Up...

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
I want to build a website. I went to GoDaddy and registered a domain name. They offer web space and a "user friendly" program to make the website. It costs like $7/month or I can buy a prog like Dream Weaver for hundreds and get updates every few years.The website is for our music video release later on this year. I want to do this right from the start because there's a chance this could go somewhere with the help I have. (Tripp Eisen playing guitar & Emmy winning Jenna Emens producing & mixing) I've finally got out of the hospital bed I've been in the past 8 years (Im disabled) and I made a bunch of songs on my Mac that everyone seems to like. I'm making videos and want to put the vids on the website, songs for download, bios, links etc...

10 years ago I was in bands and DJ'ing all over until I got injured and my life hit a wall. Im finally now starting to get back into the things that I loved to do like music. We have a metal song, a country song, a disco song, drum & bass... etc. I'm even spending the money to copywrite a stack of songs & lyrics. I want to do this right from the start.

Does anyone have experience with this? Am i on the right track by using godaddy? Dreamweaver? Is there a cheaper way to get webspace? AOL used to offer 5 web pages but they ended that a few years ago. Can I get web space & link it to my domain name? This is all new to me but I have unlimited time to learn & work on this if I can get pointed in the right direction.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation (my lawyer says that) :)

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Just do a WordPress site... I have stopped doing static HTML sites and I am basically doing WordPress sites so the end user can make changes/updates.

There are literally a shit ton of free themes/designs out there for it. And plug ins available to do pretty much anything easily.

Note I still use DreamWeaver to edit some of the WP themes though... and I still use GoLive for managing some of my older sites.

The host I use charges $99 to host a year and $15.97 to register a .com per year.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
You mac probably has iWeb on it; 100% free and it kicks ass as a basic website design tool. No "power" features, but remarkably easy to use.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
You mac probably has iWeb on it; 100% free and it kicks ass as a basic website design tool. No "power" features, but remarkably easy to use.
Well with all the video/audio stuff I was suggesting A WP site as it is free and like I said a shit ton of free plugins.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Godaddy's hosting is balls. It has one of the worst UI's for a ftp client I have ever seen.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Thanks. Im glad I didn't have gaydaddy host it. These Macs are friggin amazing! I bought my first one last year and dont know why I waited so long. Squarespace & iweb look promising...

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
+1 on stevethrower's Wordpress recommendation.

I've built probably close to 100 sites for various clients on Wordpress. Used it as the backbone for everything from a personal blog to an e-commerce site. You can either take on the task of building your theme from the ground up, or find a prefabbed theme to use (either free or $). Not to mention with the thousands of plugins out there for it, you can basically make it do and run almost any way you want it to.

As far as hosting goes, I'd recommend HostGator. They've treated me extremely well for 5 years and counting and their customer service is great in the rare instance of needing tech support to fix a problem. Their control panel (as with GoDaddy's hosting too) will have a "1-click install" for Wordpress, so the site can basically be up and running, ready to start adding content in a matter of minutes.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
+1 on stevethrower's Wordpress recommendation.

I've built probably close to 100 sites for various clients on Wordpress. Used it as the backbone for everything from a personal blog to an e-commerce site. You can either take on the task of building your theme from the ground up, or find a prefabbed theme to use (either free or $). Not to mention with the thousands of plugins out there for it, you can basically make it do and run almost any way you want it to.

As far as hosting goes, I'd recommend HostGator. They've treated me extremely well for 5 years and counting and their customer service is great in the rare instance of needing tech support to fix a problem. Their control panel (as with GoDaddy's hosting too) will have a "1-click install" for Wordpress, so the site can basically be up and running, ready to start adding content in a matter of minutes.
Yep you can literally do anything with it... done ones from book publishers to dog groomers...

Sep 23, 2004
Aside from Squarespace, can anyone recommend a good host for a basic/professional website? I want a site where I can post my own work related material, code, etc. Nothing fancy needed. Maybe have my own blog for writing up my own notes on various papers.

Also, if I pay for unlimited bandwidth, does this mean I can store some (large) files and retrieve them via FTP or some other type of transfer protocol?

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Aside from Squarespace, can anyone recommend a good host for a basic/professional website? I want a site where I can post my own work related material, code, etc. Nothing fancy needed. Maybe have my own blog for writing up my own notes on various papers.

Also, if I pay for unlimited bandwidth, does this mean I can store some (large) files and retrieve them via FTP or some other type of transfer protocol?
Again, I'd recommend HostGator. I've got the middle package (Baby Croc), it's hosting a handful of sites as well as a shitload of non site-related files for me. I think I'm up to roughly 6 or 7 GB of files on my server, and have FTP'd zip files of a few gigs in size back and forth from the server.