Building Permits, Town Building Ispectors and Reasonable Timeframes

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
So I had work done on my house in Dec of 2012. I had a sliding door removed and 2 windows put in and had all my doors replaced... front, side and a rear slider...The contractor applied filled out and paid for a permit and then waited 3 weeks and finally said he would like to start work...So he did and took pics as he worked in case there were any issues. When he was done he followed up with the town letting him know he was finished...Fast forward nearly 7 months and my PERMIT ARRIVES IN THE MAIL! With instructions to display it prominently in a front window etc....and then today I receive a door tag letting me know I have 14 days to contact the inspector because he wants to check out the work.

To me this seems like an unreasonable request on principle because we have since finished the work, done all the trim, painted etc. He could inspect it and demand it all be torn down if he feels like being a dick.

I am SURE that he will walk in the house, take a look , say OK and leave...

But on principle if this guy is drawing a salary from the town and can't get out to see the work for 7 months I call shenanigans.

Of course you don't want to cause trouble with people like this because you end up fucked but 7+ months is retarded

Massachusetts Law doesn't seem to make reference to a timely follow up inspection

mrbucket75

Jan 9, 2009
GJ. CO.
Oh boy..... could be trouble with the not waiting. He may have you tear down sheetrock and take a look inside.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Depends on the inspector... town etc... hopefully he will just look at it and be done. As you really didn't do anything structural you are prob ok.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
The time frame for requesting the inspection is based of approval of the permit and 14 days is reasonable. HOWEVER taking over 7 months to approve a permit is beyond ridiculous. I also would be mad at the contractor for not raising hell for it not being approved in 2wks. I am also kinda disappointed in you for not doing the same AND for letting him start without having a permit. You opened yourself to a lot of trouble with the town. You can be fined, forced to rip off all drywall casing and insulation, and depending on town laws you could be charged with a crime. For all of that a defense of you took 7 months to send the permit wont fly either. Ya done fucked up kid. All of that being said I would be at town hall screaming about this till they know who I am

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
When my wife and I moved into our old house, we fenced the yard. I got a permit, etc. The fence went up. the inspector came to look at the fence and he had two other permits in his hand from the PREVIOUS OWNER. They were like two years old. The guy added a half-bath downstairs to the back of the family room and got construction and plumbing permits. He took a quick look and that was it.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I never get permits. I just do the work myself quietly
and say fuck em. Fucking leeches always trying to put
their hands in my fucking pockets.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I never get permits. I just do the work myself quietly
and say fuck em. Fucking leeches always trying to put
their hands in my fucking pockets.
If he had not applied to begin with and did it on the dl I wouldnt of said what I did. The fact that he did apply for a permit and didnt wait to have it in hand before starting is where he could of fucked himself because the town is aware of the project

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
If he had not applied to begin with and did it on the dl I wouldnt of said what I did. The fact that he did apply for a permit and didnt wait to have it in hand before starting is where he could of fucked himself because the town is aware of the project
I agree. That's why I just never get permits.

Only 1 I ever had was for the guy to do the roof since it
was so obvious that it was being done.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It's getting harder and harder to get by without them now. They use satellite photos and shit to see what people add to their properties, plus an asshole neighbor can really dick you over. My father had to deal with some bullshit. Code enforcement showed up at his house because his dickhead neighbor made all these false complaints. My father had to take the guy around and show him his whole property and the guy didn't have a problem with anything. But now, he can't really get away with adding anything now without a permit because the guy knows what's already there and what's not.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
I got good neighbors. Never a problem.

I actually bought a shed that's 12 X 12 and 10ft tall.
Had to come in on a flatbed. The delivery company
had to get a wide load permit to bring it in.

I needed a permit for the concrete pad and installation.
Never got one. Even after giving the movers a permit so
they could bring it to my house they never bothered me
for one to do the installation.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
It's getting harder and harder to get by without them now. They use satellite photos and shit to see what people add to their properties, plus an asshole neighbor can really dick you over. My father had to deal with some bullshit. Code enforcement showed up at his house because his dickhead neighbor made all these false complaints. My father had to take the guy around and show him his whole property and the guy didn't have a problem with anything. But now, he can't really get away with adding anything now without a permit because the guy knows what's already there and what's not.
Satellite and aerial pictures... most towns have online GIS systems and they get aerial surveys done every few years.

The neighbor basically put in a petting zoo complete with a shed barn, mini steers, llamas, sheep, chickens and ducks. All with in 75' of the high water mark. I don't give a shit (well except for her yapping dogs that get let out every 4 hours) but next survey methinks she is going to have a problem with the town and DEP as well as the state historical board (as our properties are in a historically/archeological important area). As I know she did not pull permits for it.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Satellite and aerial pictures... most towns have online GIS systems and they get aerial surveys done every few years.

You got it. My county has a pretty impressive GIS map system. I can check any piece of property, see who owns it, when they bought it, what they paid, the tax assessments, etc, etc.

The house next to me was a bank foreclosure that had been vacant for over a year. It sold, but I didn't know who bought it. I had two different people knock at my door who acted like it was already theirs and introduced themselves as my new neighbor.. I looked it up on the GIS and found they must have gotten into a bidding war because it sold for more than the most recent asking price. But now I know who got it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We put an equipment shed up at our ranch, and an uncle built a cabin for himself. This place is out in the middle of nowhere... the closest "residence" is 30 minutes away on a dirt road, and it's 30 minutes from his house to the closest town (of <100 people).

Come tax time, the property tax went up due to "improvements to the property". Those fuckers and their planes.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
We put an equipment shed up at our ranch, and an uncle built a cabin for himself. This place is out in the middle of nowhere... the closest "residence" is 30 minutes away on a dirt road, and it's 30 minutes from his house to the closest town (of <100 people).

Come tax time, the property tax went up due to "improvements to the property". Those fuckers and their planes.
Could be the survey... or a pissed off neighbor. Even with the distance... remember people can be assholes.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Could be the survey... or a pissed off neighbor. Even with the distance... remember people can be assholes.

What neighbors? It's a 2500 acre ranch, and the 2500 acre ranch next to it belongs to my grandfather's brother.

I'm pretty sure it was just the county using places... it's a very rural county so it pays off for them.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
What neighbors? It's a 2500 acre ranch, and the 2500 acre ranch next to it belongs to my grandfather's brother.

I'm pretty sure it was just the county using places... it's a very rural county so it pays off for them.
Must of been an aerial survey then... a boo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2