Building Your Own Home

ChewDown

Sooooo I am going to build my new home, a log house acutally in NH.

I am sitting down with the builder, and the property owner tomorrow.... I have built homes before, but now without my husband around it feels a birt more exposed. Any suggestions as to questions I should ask? Things I should know....

Loaded question I know...

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
You will be acting as the General Contractor?

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Sooooo I am going to build my new home, a log house acutally in NH.

I am sitting down with the builder, and the property owner tomorrow.... I have built homes before, but now without my husband around it feels a birt more exposed. Any suggestions as to questions I should ask? Things I should know....

Loaded question I know...
Carm, is it true that you get whacked in the finale?

Polack

Who is John Galt?
ask every question you can think of. No question is too dumb when it's your new house. Make sure the contractor doesn't mind you asking questions and make sure he knows the area and all of the local codes. And since it is a log home you need to make sure the logs you are using are good quality. Don't try to save money by using cheap logs. You might want to tour a few other log homes that have been built in the area to see how much maintanence problems you might see in the future. Log homes are a lot of work but they are great once everything is all said and done.

niklbag

Hooked on chronic worked for me!!!!!
just make sure your getting what your paying for. read the contract,read the contract, and then read it again just to be sure of what your getting. Try to pic out fixture styles early so that the plumbers and electricians dont have to wait. Also, if the company provides 3d renderings get as many of those that you can so that you know exactly what its going to look like before you start.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Youll need blueprints

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
I use to plumb log houses... the builder told me that log homes are approximatly double the cost of a regular home... so consider that a guide to expense.... after that the only thing that makes em hard id everything that needs to be in the walls plumbing, wiring etc... must be installed as the walls go in... otyher than that its just the same old shit.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
It's easy man. I built mine in an hour.

CaraC

A real giirrrrllllllllllllllllll
I dont have any advice on home building but I am just curious... where in NH?

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
It's easy man. I built mine in an hour.

I could have built that in 5 minutes max, but decorating is the real pain in the ass when using cardboard boxes. I hope you painted the inside a lighter color to make it look bigger on the inside, but you might have gone for the more intimate feel of a dark color. Either way, your look rough when you first wake up.

I'm in the middle of plumbing a log home in rumney NH. I didn't need to do any permits for the plumbing no inspections as well. same for the electrical. The only permits and inspections were for the driveway and the septic system.
good luck

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
A good home reference book to pick up is "Complete Guide to Building Log Homes" by Monte Burch (Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York) $19.95 list.