Burning AVI files to use on a regular DVD player

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
I usually watch my downloaded movies on my laptop, but the other day I wanted to make a DVD for a friend of mine. The DVD, which plays fine on my laptop, doesnt work on her DVD player. Can AVI files burned onto DVD not be used on a regular DVD player?

Farm Flufer

P.I.S.S. #202
Apr 28, 2005
Tampa, FL
You need a DVD player with Divx support to pull that off, otherwise, you have to recode the video to DVD format (easy enough with Nero)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I usually watch my downloaded movies on my laptop, but the other day I wanted to make a DVD for a friend of mine. The DVD, which plays fine on my laptop, doesnt work on her DVD player. Can AVI files burned onto DVD not be used on a regular DVD player?
AVI is a container. A container is just a way of taking muxed audio, video, and extra content and splicing it together for a compatible player to present the content. A standard no frills DVD player is made to play MPEG-2 encoded video with AC3 or MP3 encoded audio placed into a VOB container. The DVD player you're putting it into can't understand at all what is even on the disc. Reencoding it will fix that.

You'd have to reencode it with Nero, Super C, or some other transcoding program from Divx to mpeg-2 and author a Vob file. Nero is pretty good about doing it automatically.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
AVI is a container. A container is just a way of taking muxed audio, video, and extra content and splicing it together for a compatible player to present the content. A standard no frills DVD player is made to play MPEG-2 encoded video with AC3 or MP3 encoded audio placed into a VOB container. The DVD player you're putting it into can't understand at all what is even on the disc. Reencoding it will fix that.

You'd have to reencode it with Nero, Super C, or some other transcoding program from Divx to mpeg-2 and author a Vob file. Nero is pretty good about doing it automatically.
Alright, since you know what you're talking about....why is it that I have video files that should have NO problem fitting on a normal DVDR. Like, I downloaded the original Black Christmas a few years back, and even though the movie is only 90 minutes long, it won't fit on a 120 minute DVD. The file size is well under the limit, too. I used Nero, and the second I try and drag the file into the DVD authoring screen, it tells me that the file is too large, and would I like to reduce the quality to fit it? Then it tells me that it can't reduce the quality enough to fit on disc.

This is a 5ooMb file going onto a 4.7 Gb disc...there should be no problem.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Alright, since you know what you're talking about....why is it that I have video files that should have NO problem fitting on a normal DVDR. Like, I downloaded the original Black Christmas a few years back, and even though the movie is only 90 minutes long, it won't fit on a 120 minute DVD. The file size is well under the limit, too. I used Nero, and the second I try and drag the file into the DVD authoring screen, it tells me that the file is too large, and would I like to reduce the quality to fit it? Then it tells me that it can't reduce the quality enough to fit on disc.

This is a 5ooMb file going onto a 4.7 Gb disc...there should be no problem.
Well to be truthful, I'm a dunce at using software to author DVDs. I just know the encoding side because I've been playing around with video editing to turn 1080p source content into high quality DVDs.

I remember having a similar issue years ago when trying to burn a DVDrip onto a DVD-R. I can't recall ultimately what the cause was as I was totally new back then.

I think it's likely that either the container or the video could be encoded in a way that is confusing Nero. What is the extension of the video? Is it MPG? Because it could possibly be that Nero is trying to treat it improperly and it's causing it to demux it and remux it some wild ass ways that is wasting bandwidth.

You may have to run it through something like Super C to try and convert it to a format that Nero can use without problem.

W

waa waa bogey

waa waa sony

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
To answer Pure Waves original question, how old was the DVD player? Most of the first generation DVD players won't play burned Disks of any kind. Something to do with the lasers being too weak to read anything but pressed disks.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Purewaves... check this out:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm
Avi2DVD is a new GUI that uses freeware tools to perform conversions such as AVI to DVD, SVCD, VCD or DVD to DVD, SVCD or VCD.
I haven't used it yet, but it seems fairly simple and straightforward. I'm also trying to burn a few avi's to DVD so I'll check this proggie out. I'm gonna DL it now and let you know.

Crom, I'd like to bury the hatchet with ya. With the start of the new season coming up, let's enjoy the rivalry and be pals. With that spirit in mind, I'll tell you that Moe is spot on. I also use AVG Anti Virus and couldn't be happier with it. And as YMB says, the others take up way too many resources, slowing down the system on startup/shutdown. AVG isn't intrusive at all. Another thing I've found, is that it analyzes single files (say, downloaded stuff) much quicker than the others out there.

As for your SD cards, I needed one for my SLVR, and got a great deal at newegg. Can't ever go wrong with that site when it comes to tech stuff.
Check these links:
$13 for a PNY 1GB
$25.50 for a Kingston 2GB, with a USB Thumb Drive Reader

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
You need a DVD player with Divx support to pull that off, otherwise, you have to recode the video to DVD format (easy enough with Nero)
Take this guys advice. Get a divx compatible dvd player, you can get one for 50 bucks. You will never have to convert an avi again, and you can fit up to 6 movies on one disc. You can also just convert them later to vob format if that's what you want, but trust me, once you have a divx player, you will not waste the time or discs converting again.

You can even burn movies to cd for further incentive to get one.

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
thanks to all for the info on recoding/burning. im gonna give it a shot again this weekend and see if i can get it to work.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
Crom, I'd like to bury the hatchet with ya. With the start of the new season coming up, let's enjoy the rivalry and be pals.
Fair enough.

I've never been one to turn away a sincere extended handshake from someone who hasn't really done me any harm. We actually don't have much history together, other than a few harsh words defending our respective hockey teams.

Of couse, this seasons games haven't started yet :icon_mrgr But I'll try to keep the emotions in check. :icon_wink

With that spirit in mind, I'll tell you that Moe is spot on. I also use AVG Anti Virus and couldn't be happier with it. And as YMB says, the others take up way too many resources, slowing down the system on startup/shutdown. AVG isn't intrusive at all. Another thing I've found, is that it analyzes single files (say, downloaded stuff) much quicker than the others out there.

As for your SD cards, I needed one for my SLVR, and got a great deal at newegg. Can't ever go wrong with that site when it comes to tech stuff.
Check these links:
$13 for a PNY 1GB
$25.50 for a Kingston 2GB, with a USB Thumb Drive Reader
Thanks for the advice.

I'll look into those resources.