Bush 41 shaves head in support of 2-year-old cancer patient

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Bush 41 shaves head in support of 2-year-old cancer patient

President George H.W. Bush and Patrick on July 24, 2013, after the former president shaved his head in solidarity with the 2-year-old, who is the son of a Secret Service agent and is being treated for leukemia.

By Jeff Black, Staff Writer, NBC News

When George H.W. Bush — aka “Bush 41” — was president he famously gave out awards for his “thousand points of light” as a way to recognize people doing noble volunteer work.

And now that the ex-president has shaved his head in solidarity with a 2-year-old leukemia patient, Patrick, maybe he should give himself one of those points of light.

Patrick is the son of a Secret Service agent, Jon, who is assigned to Bush’s security detail in Kennebunkport, Maine. (Their last names were withheld at the family’s request.)

Recently, other members of the security unit started to bare their domes in support of Patrick, and they started to raise money for his treatment.

The 89-year-old Bush and his wife, Barbara, took notice. They had lost their second child, Robin, to leukemia 60 years ago in October at the age of 4.

Members of the Secret Service unit known as Bush Protective Division even launched a website to help raise money to pay Patrick’s medical bills: PatricksPals.org. They have also organized a benefit motorcycle run in Kennebunkport, where the Bushes maintain a seaside home.

So, the former president and first lady made a donation, and he even went as far as shaving his head earlier this week.

A news release sent out of Bush’s office raised attention to the effort to help Patrick.

President George H.W. Bush with his U.S. Secret Service Protective Detail and Patrick.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-in-support-of-2-year-old-cancer-patient?lite

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

The black guy on his hand-picked security team looks like he... oh wait, there ain't one.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
The last adult to be president.

The HBO doc on him is great. Fucking patriot for sure.

Even at his age he can sit and answer questions without a canned script or TelePrompTer.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I never paid much attention back then. I was too young to care but was he so bad that he didn't deserve a second term? I know the whole "read my lips" thing was huge but it pales in comparison to anything I've heard Obama has even rumored to have done.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I never paid much attention back then. I was too young to care but was he so bad that he didn't deserve a second term? I know the whole "read my lips" thing was huge but it pales in comparison to anything I've heard Obama has even rumored to have done.
No. And I do believe at early on he was considered "unbeatable" going into a second term by much of the press. But then the economy started to tank. So he had some bad luck. Of course compared to Obama, Bush sr. Might as well be Christ himself, but remember he's a republican so he got hammered for the economic downturn and the tax hike was the final nail in the coffin.

He was certainly more deserving of a second term than his Son. Infinitely more deserving than Obmam, that's for sure.

Last edited:

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
One of the nicest and most genuine person I've ever met.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Meh, poorly done.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Bush Sr. lost popularity for his lies and because of the recession, but not a huge amount. What happened was that Clinton and Ross Perot won over a lot of voters in '92. They were just strong candidates (Clinton was more appealing to Democrats, and Perot was more appealing to independents, than pretty much any candidate for decades before that). So they won those voters over more than Bush lost them. The total number of votes Perot and Clinton added, compared to Dukakis, was 22 million. Bush on the other hand lost about 10 million, I guess 5 mill to each would be a fair assessment.

As for Obama, he lost 5.5 million voters the second time around (that's an impressive amount, without a serious third candidate, and a shitty Republican candidate). If Romney was a strong candidate, that massive decrease in popularity would've been more than enough to beat him. But Romney was a terrible candidate. He gained nothing compared to McCain.

Again: Bush Sr.'s opposition gained 22 million voters on him. Obama's opposition gained nothing. That's what happened. Obama didn't win. Romney lost, and not to Obama, but to his own retarded religious and immigration views (compared to McCain, Romney lost votes in every demographic except for religious fanatics).

Like I said many times, this country's future depends on what Republicans do, not on what Democrats do. If Republicans can get their act together and accept the cultural changes that have happened in the country, while at the same time formulating a convincing, effective economic policy, they can take over and turn the economy around. There is absolutely nothing the Democrats can do to stop them. The Democrats have no new ideas, no new approach, and most of the country hates all the old ideas they do have. The only way Republicans will lose to them is by alienating everyone by pandering to the religious right or chauvinists.

Last edited:

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
"Accept the cultural changes in the country"=Do nothing to stop legal immigrations, immigrants going to the colleges, work visas hammering white collar workers,
immigrants illegally entering the country, refugee resettlement and voluntary agencies bringing in people like Somalis and concede a country with 400 million people,
the majority of which are not White and have never voted for a right wing party in their home countries nor in this country for over 50 years.

Good luck. The GOP has been selling out the only people who vote for them, White people,
since the 1960s Hart-Cellar bill and 1986 Simpson-Mazzoli and the Clinton immigrant increase.

Now they've got a demographic gun to their temple and your advice is "Pull the trigger."

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
"Accept the cultural changes in the country"=Do nothing to stop legal immigrations, immigrants going to the colleges, work visas hammering white collar workers,
immigrants illegally entering the country, refugee resettlement and voluntary agencies bringing in people like Somalis and concede a country with 400 million people,
the majority of which are not White and have never voted for a right wing party in their home countries nor in this country for over 50 years.

Good luck. The GOP has been selling out the only people who vote for them, White people,
since the 1960s Hart-Cellar bill and 1986 Simpson-Mazzoli and the Clinton immigrant increase.

Now they've got a demographic gun to their temple and your advice is "Pull the trigger."
Legal immigration is the only way you get these people into the system and paying taxes.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
My ass.

This country has too many people as it is. Kick 20 million out.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Like I said many times, this country's future depends on what Republicans do, not on what Democrats do. If Republicans can get their act together and accept the cultural changes that have happened in the country, while at the same time formulating a convincing, effective economic policy, they can take over and turn the economy around. There is absolutely nothing the Democrats can do to stop them. The Democrats have no new ideas, no new approach, and most of the country hates all the old ideas they do have. The only way Republicans will lose to them is by alienating everyone by pandering to the religious right or chauvinists.
Maybe at one time it could have been like that, but I'm not seeing it now. Frankly, I don't see how a Republican can ever expect to take the white house again. I don't care how bad Romney was as a candidate, there is no goddamn way Obama should have been able to win a second term. If we really had a sensible, objective electorate in this country that voted on record, Obama would have been trounced. Proof positive that the electorate doesn't care. This election was won on entitlements and a non-existant "war on Women" What can Republicans offer Immigrants and gibmedats that the Democrats cant and won't. And as time goes on the democrats will just put more and more people on the dole in exchange for votes. So it's just a huge snowball that keeps rolling down the mountain. And of course, don't forget that democrats have the media which will cover/ignore their failures while attacking Republicans for even the slightest foible.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I told friends that Romney would be the candidate because the media had selected him about 3 years before the election. They knew he was Obama-lite so if he won, it wouldn't be that different. He had nice hair. During early primary polling, if he came in 4th, the media would only talk about him. If he lost a primary, they talked about him. If any other Republican made a gaffe, they concentrated on it until he was out of the race. They dug up dirt on the others. Soon he was the only name anyone knew. The medial built him up enough to get him in the election, then they predictably dropped the hammer on him. It is almost time for the media to select our next two candidates and everyone will fall in line voting for them.

LineBackerU

There is a good chance I am blocking you.
Donator
Oct 14, 2002
Crypt Keeper Nancy Pelosi and others on the radical left have been claiming that Hillary Clinton will be the most qualified President/candidate evah! if she runs in 2016. Obviously that is bullshit. If you look at George H.W. Bush's resume, whether you agreed with his politics/policies or not, the man was ridiculously qualified to be President of the United States.

2-Term Vice President
Director of the CIA
Ambassador to China
Chairman of the RNC
American Ambassador to the UN
Member of US House of Representatives
WWII Fighter Pilot (youngest pilot shot down during the war)

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I told friends that Romney would be the candidate because the media had selected him about 3 years before the election. They knew he was Obama-lite so if he won, it wouldn't be that different. He had nice hair. During early primary polling, if he came in 4th, the media would only talk about him. If he lost a primary, they talked about him. If any other Republican made a gaffe, they concentrated on it until he was out of the race. They dug up dirt on the others. Soon he was the only name anyone knew. The medial built him up enough to get him in the election, then they predictably dropped the hammer on him. It is almost time for the media to select our next two candidates and everyone will fall in line voting for them.
You don't remember the $10,000 "bet" gaffe of Romney's? They ran with that for awhile. And if you're referring to Cain in the other part, he was a media sensation even before the sexual harassment stuff came to light, which was probably leaked to them by someone on Romney's (or another Republican's) staff.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe at one time it could have been like that, but I'm not seeing it now. Frankly, I don't see how a Republican can ever expect to take the white house again. I don't care how bad Romney was as a candidate, there is no goddamn way Obama should have been able to win a second term. If we really had a sensible, objective electorate in this country that voted on record, Obama would have been trounced. Proof positive that the electorate doesn't care.
Let me stop you right there. If the choice is between Obama and Romney, I don't care either. I voted for neither. So I'm not gonna be convinced by any of the "Obama is the devil, let's vote him out no matter who we put into office" type of arguments.

If the Republicans put up a candidate that stands for freedom on principle, then I'll care about getting him elected. If we had a sensible, objective electorate in this country, Romney wouldn't have won the primaries, and Gary Johnson would be our current President.

But, of course, Republicans, in the party, in the media, and Republican voters, all did everything in their power to prevent Gary Johnson from getting any kind of a shot. For the party to improve and start winning people over with rational arguments, the current Republican leadership, from the actual politicians to the talking heads on FoxNews, need to go away first. They are all corrupt, cynical and populists.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah, I forgot why I came into the thread to begin with: does this mean that cancer kid is cured now? Way to go, HW. You da man. Better than the dead Pope's lame miracle, for sure.

Last edited:

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I have been a fan of Bush senior since kindergarten.