But Bush, Cheney, Haliburton....etcc

JoeFromS.Jersey

Apr 25, 2005
South Jersey
source: http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2011/08/19/michelles-separate-travel-costs-taxpayers-thousands/

Michelle’s Separate Travel Costs Taxpayers Thousands

by Keith Koffler on August 19, 2011, 10:26 am

Michelle Obama Thursday traveled separately from President Obama to Martha’s Vineyard, costing taxpayers thousands in additional expenses to get her a few hours of extra vacation time.

Mrs. Obama and her daughters arrived just before 2 pm Thursday on a U.S. government jet, according to the Martha’s Vineyard Times, which got its information from the local airport. The first lady’s office has been silent on her travel. President Obama arrived in the evening along with the family dog Bo.

The extra costs related to Mrs. Obama’s solo trip mainly include the flight on a specially designed military aircraft she took instead of Air Force One, as well as any extra staff and Secret Service that had to be enlisted to go with her. She would also have had her own motorcade from the airport to her vacation residence.

Mrs. Obama’s separate jet travel sends the wrong message on a host of issues, from global warming to the budget deficit to the economy – in which currently so many people can’t afford to take a vacation at all.

This is not the first time Michelle has gone on vacation ahead of the president on the taxpayers’ tab. Last December, she racked up what was likely more than $100,000 in expenses leaving early for their Hawaii vacation.

Thanks to one of our readers, who goes by Lizzy, for noting the double dip.

Think I covered all the excuses in the title. Though, I do remember all those stories about how Laura Bush was constantly traveling frivolously and costing the country hundreds of thousands of dollars too.....oh wait...no I don't. What's a couple 100k for our rulers though?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Though, I do remember all those stories about how Laura Bush was constantly traveling frivolously and costing the country hundreds of thousands of dollars too.....oh wait...no I don't. What's a couple 100k for our rulers though?
You seriously don't think Laura didn't travel ahead of W all the time?

And I love how conservatives are suddenly so concerned about global warming enough to put it in the article like that.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
You seriously don't think Laura didn't travel ahead of W all the time?

And I love how conservatives are suddenly so concerned about global warming enough to put it in the article like that.

W didn't promise a bunch of nonsense like "Hope" and "Change"

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
Spend the last few months railing against the wealthy... take your vacation at Martha's Vineyard...
:trollol:

[video=youtube;BHSEheBbpOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHSEheBbpOs[/video]

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
They should have to pay income tax on that non-official use of benefits. That's what the rest of us would have been required to do.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
We have to eat our peas so the royal family can have a few extra hours of vacation time. And BTW Obama gave Haliburton a no bid contract so its kinda hard to keep using that old line.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
And BTW Obama gave Haliburton a no bid contract so its kinda hard to keep using that old line.
Listen well, stupid fuck.

Halliburton is the ONLY combat engineering firm in the world who can do the job. There are easily 10 other engineering firms who could get into that business, but they all choose not to, so Halliburton is simply the only company capable of doing the job we need them to do. There's no conspiracy, it's just the way shit is.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Listen well, stupid fuck.

Halliburton is the ONLY combat engineering firm in the world who can do the job. There are easily 10 other engineering firms who could get into that business, but they all choose not to, so Halliburton is simply the only company capable of doing the job we need them to do. There's no conspiracy, it's just the way shit is.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. I'm just pointing out how liberals start with the Haliburton stuff when a republican is president but when Clinton or Obama use Halliburton their outrage about Halliburton goes away.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. I'm just pointing out how liberals start with the Haliburton stuff when a republican is president but when Clinton or Obama use Halliburton their outrage about Halliburton goes away.
Honestly, my mistake.

I'm just used to you being you.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Stop spending money, you dumb cunts.
Exactly. And I don't care if it's Democrat or Republican ALL of you should be pissed off by this. Our country is broke, we can barely pay our bills. How about they both go on one plane and save the tax money. It doesn't matter if it saves 100k or 100 mil all of these little expenses add the fuck up.

To all you people with your little gifs and *yawns* your decision to ignore the bullshit because you share the same political ideals as the person doing it are just as part of the fucking problem as the people spending the money.

And to my fellow Republicans (and I bring this up because they were talking about it on C Span today) SHUT THE FUCK UP about military spending. Like all gov't organizations there is tons of wasteful spending. Slimming the budget and actually making the people in charge spend more wisely is not going to put use at mercy of our enemies. Worst case scenario the Department of Defense will just have to by their light bulbs from Sears at market value instead of buying them from contractors at 800X their normal cost.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Yeah, this should not be a story about a democrat or a republican. It's about the fact that the people we elect feel so entitled to our money that they do not even consider for a second that EVERYTHING they do is being ripped out of someone else's paycheck.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
And to my fellow Republicans (and I bring this up because they were talking about it on C Span today) SHUT THE FUCK UP about military spending. Like all gov't organizations there is tons of wasteful spending. Slimming the budget and actually making the people in charge spend more wisely is not going to put use at mercy of our enemies. Worst case scenario the Department of Defense will just have to by their light bulbs from Sears at market value instead of buying them from contractors at 800X their normal cost.

I've said multiple times that the military budget could easily be cut by 2/3 and the country would be just as secure

With ICBMs, Ballistic Missile Submarines, Aircraft Carriers, F-22's, B2's, etc... there is no need for a million man + military

The problem is that politicians like to meddle in the affairs of others and try and police the world

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Yeah, this should not be a story about a democrat or a republican. It's about the fact that the people we elect feel so entitled to our money that they do not even consider for a second that EVERYTHING they do is being ripped out of someone else's paycheck.
I have never agreed with anything anyone has ever said as strongly as I agree with this. I am actually nodding my head with the lower lip scrunched up like some old man talking about the good ole days.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
But the Constitution tells us it's OK to rack up billions of dollars of deficit on military spending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I have never agreed with anything anyone has ever said as strongly as I agree with this. I am actually nodding my head with the lower lip scrunched up like some old man talking about the good ole days.
Thanks dude.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Hypocrites are only bad when they're Democrats, right?
Is that you admitting that Obama is just as big an asshole as Bush?

But the Constitution tells us it's OK to rack up billions of dollars of deficit on military spending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we are fighting for our very freedom and I mean that in the most literal sense i.e. WWIII then god damn right we will and have the authority to spend and do what is necessary to protect this country and our way of life.

Now as for these wars I still feel that Afghanistan is a legitimate conflict but Iraq should have ended years ago. We should have started the process as soon as it was apparent that there were not weapons of mass destruction.

What do you want me to say? That Bush was an asshole? I said that long before this thread.

Your trolls are useless against the moderate fiscal Republican. :action-sm

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
Exactly. And I don't care if it's Democrat or Republican ALL of you should be pissed off by this. Our country is broke, we can barely pay our bills. How about they both go on one plane and save the tax money. It doesn't matter if it saves 100k or 100 mil all of these little expenses add the fuck up.

To all you people with your little gifs and *yawns* your decision to ignore the bullshit because you share the same political ideals as the person doing it are just as part of the fucking problem as the people spending the money.

:clap:

:clap:

I think this is the thing that disappoints me more than any other with regards to political discourse. It's really just one giant 'game of thrones' to way too many people. Both parties do it and the media are in on the game. If you dare to say "stop playing games!", it's immediately seek and destroy. I actually used to think I could have a reasoned discussion about all these important things with liberals, being that I was one for most of my life and consider myself reasonable. Instead, the majority of them only want to lie, deceive, smear, and play gotcha through the use of obvious hypocrisy and projection. These last few years have really shown me that liberals never gave a shit about most of the stuff they were against during Bush, they just wanted it to be someone from their party doing it.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
These last few years have really shown me that liberals never gave a shit about most of the stuff they were against during Bush, they just wanted it to be someone from their party doing it.
You mean all that anti-war protest that dried up and went away as soon as Obama got elected? You mean the gay rights crowd that hasn't destroyed Obama for being against gay marriage? Yeah, it's hard to take people seriously when their hardcore morals vanish the day after an election.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Hypocrites are only bad when they're Democrats, right?

Depends what they're being hypocrites about.

If they claim they're a Notre Dame fan to get the catholic vote, but in reality they're a Southern Cal fan, I don't give a shit and it dosen't affect the lives of the American people. If they claim they are for hope & change, but then destroy the economy, well then it matters.