Buying A PS3 On Amazon/Square Trade Warranty

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Hey I'm buying a PS3 for an upcoming birthday. The thing is I want to buy it on Amazon, cause I have some online credit. The problem is I need a warranty. I always buy warranties for expensive electronics and it has payed off several times.

That being said does anyone know anything about Square Trades 3 year warranties. It's 41 bucks for 3 years and seems like a no brainer. I'm most likely going to get the extended warranty when I buy the system I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Heeeere rubie rubie rubie. Heeeere rubie.

I tell ya what, give me $50 and I'll buy you a new one if it fails in the next 4 years.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Heeeere rubie rubie rubie. Heeeere rubie.

I tell ya what, give me $50 and I'll buy you a new one if it fails in the next 4 years.
Extended warranty? How can I lose!

/Homer Simpson

Dec 12, 2007
I bought my ps3 used off ebay 2 years ago, I've yet to see any problems. Fuck the warrenty and just treat the machine good, you'll be fine.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I've heard from some people that Square Trade is actually a really good company to deal with... a few on this board have said as much. I have a ST warranty on my digital camera that covers accidents because I take it backpacking, but warranties for devices you keep in your home are usually a waste of money in my opinion.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I don't usually post here but saw it come up in iSpy. I've had a laptop and a cellphone replaced through Squaretrade, best investment I ever made on electronics. They email you a prepaid UPS label and you put it in a box and ship it to them. Within 5 days you either get all your original money back for what you paid (including the shipping from Amazon) or they send it back fixed. I got money back both times so I was able to buy a much better phone and laptop for what I had paid for even less money.

You've got 30 days to buy the warranty after purchase and they'll usually offer deals of around 30% off the price of the warranty all the time. Check Slickdeals. Right now the best deal is 20% off using code BDAY, but that would bring it down to $33. Kind of a no brainer if you ask me. The warranty's also transferable, so if you want to sell it on Ebay in two years you'll get a better price selling a used machine with 1 year left on the warranty.

outcry

Nov 1, 2009
One of the 13 colonies
Just ask yourself if you're still going to use the PS3 3+ years out from now. Consider the fact that the PS3 is very durable and the fact that the next gen consoles will probably be out sooner than you think. It's really not worth it.

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
I have a sansa clip I have replaced several times over the years with god forbid prp's from Best Buy. I paid 13 bucks and replace my broken Sansa Clip 3 times over 2 years for free The first few people commenting about being a rube for buying one are wrong. Everything breaks these days and paying 41 dollars for expedited service if something goes wrong holds value. You just have to be careful with making sure the warranty is not filled with loopholes like Best Buys PSP plans. It seems the PRP plans are headed that way now too at Best Buy. That being said after the third time my Sansa Clip stopped working over a 2 year period I got a store credit for the cost of the device which actually allowed me to upgrade to a larger capacity clip for a lower price and purchase another 2 year plan for 15 bucks after the lower cost of the new Clip.

My inquiry was about Square Trade and Amazon though. I could care less about fanboy ps3/xbox talk. Or how I'm a rube when I've been rewarded several times with replacement plans.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
My first PS3 80gig model broke just after I couldn't return it to Amazon, it was still covered by Sony and all

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My inquiry was about Square Trade and Amazon though. I could care less about fanboy ps3/xbox talk. Or how I'm a rube when I've been rewarded several times with replacement plans.
Square Trade is independent of Amazon, and I've heard good reviews regarding them. OAPC said they met their obligation with him. I currently have two or three ST warranties, although I've never had to use one.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
Just ask yourself if you're still going to use the PS3 3+ years out from now. Consider the fact that the PS3 is very durable and the fact that the next gen consoles will probably be out sooner than you think. It's really not worth it.
He's waited 5 years since the PS3 has been out. I doubt he's going to be an early adopter of the next generation.