Buying myself a desktop repacement grade laptop...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My desktop shit the bed some months ago, and I've decided to give up on it. I am not throwing away good money to try and get a somewhat outdated machine back up and running. Plus, I'm sick of being tethered in one place.

I've all but narrowed it down to an HP ENVY 17, most likely the 3D model just for the hell of it. I can get good pricing from Costco or my corporate discount from HP. Depending on the exact configuration, one beats the other by a few dollars.

I've also looked at the fine Asus and MSI models at Newegg and whatnot. As much as I've always disliked Dell, I might see what I can get from them.

But, unless some stellar deal on something else comes to light in the next week or so, it'll be the HP.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I am still using my 2006 Mac Pro

it does anything I ask it but the next Mac OS may not be able to be installed on it

I am happy as it is with OS X 10.7

I can not see spending what I did for another one like it altho it has been perfect.

I basically just use it to rip DVDs and convert old video files I have and net stuff

so I can get by with a lap top hooked to my big monitor and still use the same keyboard and trackball

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Im still rocking OSX 10.6.8. Im wary about upgrading further mostly because going too far really hamstrung my old iBook laptop.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm replacing a desktop from 2007. Tonight I found a smoking deal locally on the HP ENVY, going to check it out tomorrow.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Got a great deal on an open box Envy 17... $500 off the best price I could find otherwise. Full warranty, friggin sweet.

I'll post specs later once I get home.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I'm considering an Asus G74 for myself in a few months.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Asus makes great stuff. You can't go wrong withi it. I gave them a serious look, found better pricing for the HP and then the deal I found really nailed it down.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
The only issue I have is that my video card crashes and recovers when the computer is on almost all day. I checked around and it has nothing to do with asus it has to do with windows 7 64 bit. They still haven't fixed it so I have to deal with it.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
My desktop shit the bed some months ago, and I've decided to give up on it. I am not throwing away good money to try and get a somewhat outdated machine back up and running.
Motherboard? I'm guessing it's at least a dual core or X2 proccessor. That would be worth fixing. If it were an old Pentium D or Athlon64, maybe not.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It was a Intel Core 2 Quad. I tried replacement motherboard, power supply, video card, and RAM. Still no good, something else is fucked up. All that is left is the CPU. I think it's dead. It's behaving like a dead CPU. I think the CPU took out the board when it crapped out. I had enough, I'm done.

I am going to cannibalize it for the upgrade build I am doing for my stepson. He has a new AMD motherboard/CPU/RAM setup, but has a shitty IDE hard drive and optical drives. I'll let him have my SATA hard drive, BD-ROM, and Lightscribe DVD-RW drive. I got a better power supply, so he can have that too.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I did, but nothing like that website above! I wouldn't have definitely gone that way.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
I posted that link in some laptop thread before. I don't remember which but it's out there somewhere from before. I think I got crap for it, people saying "Not everyone can afford a rig like that dude" or some whiney hoarseshit like that.

Mikefrombx

Jan 13, 2011
Bronx
I'm replacing a desktop from 2007. Tonight I found a smoking deal locally on the HP ENVY, going to check it out tomorrow.
Careful with the envy line, I bought an envy 15 two years ago and it has had to go in twice for a bad power port and a bad trackpad.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Careful with the envy line, I bought an envy 15 two years ago and it has had to go in twice for a bad power port and a bad trackpad.
Generally, those are the two biggest failure items on most laptops. I'm sending my leased work laptop back with a broken power port. The lease is up anyway, I'm getting my new one next week.

I got the Envy 17 for $500 less than it would have cost me through the HP EPP program, so I think I did ok.

Tomorrow, I am adding an extended warranty. The 3-year Care Pack including accidental damage is normally $299 but they got a special for $209, with my EPP it's $193, and I got a $25 coupon code. Final price with tax ends up being $178.29, seems like a no-brainer.