Cable Guys - What is this?

Pat Barringer

Oct 11, 2009
Minnesota
I found this in my utility room and have no idea what it is. Looks like a coax fits on it? It's about an inch tall.

blakesnake00

The name is Snake.
Jun 5, 2005
peoria Il
Shit dude ,just showed that to my kid ,who is a bit of an electronics expert . He said looks like an older model listening device ( microphone). What kind of shit you involved in ? If nothing what about your wife ,if you have one ? Who owned your house before you ? Like I said he says it looks old. Maybe try a radio shack or a local private dick supply store. Good luck dude ,hope hes wrong or someone else in here has an idea.

Pat Barringer

Oct 11, 2009
Minnesota
Oh for fucks sake. The cable guy was here today to hook me up after I dumped directv. It was just laying in the room with all the splitters and modems and shit in it. Maybe he just found it in the drop ceiling somewhere?

I wonder how these work, I don't think you can have a circuit where a coax just hooks up to this. You would think there needs to be some kind of power source in it to work.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I wonder how these work, I don't think you can have a circuit where a coax just hooks up to this. You would think there needs to be some kind of power source in it to work.
If you had that knowledge then you'd be working for the government.

They can do way more than you'll ever be able to imagine.....

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Oh for fucks sake. The cable guy was here today to hook me up after I dumped directv. It was just laying in the room with all the splitters and modems and shit in it. Maybe he just found it in the drop ceiling somewhere?

It's not necessarily a microphone, it could easily just be some innocuous coax cap or something. You should be able to get it apart somehow to see if it has any innerds, but it could just be a worthless piece of plastic made to keep the coax wire straight for storage.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I'm guessing it's a terminator, probably specifically for some test equipment like a TDR.
That's a thing used to test cable length and integrity.

Pat Barringer

Oct 11, 2009
Minnesota
It's not plastic. It's some kind of goldish metal (maybe brass) that's aged to a black patina. It's got a knurled finish (like it's made so you can keep a good grip on it) and is all one solid piece. I can't tell what's inside the grate.

When the cable guy was here he had some thing that he put on the patch cables to the recievers and he said if it doesn't light up red, the cable's ok. He also had some pretty sophisticated looking digital meter also, so I don't know if this thing is what he was using or not.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It almost looks like a talkback mic from a recording console, but those are usually BNC and not coax. My curiosity is piqued. Lemme see if I can dig something up.

Fucking totally.

Throw that bitch in a vat of molten metal fast before it hatches!
LOL!

And I doubt it's a terminator. It's way to big and involved.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
It almost looks like a talkback mic from a recording console, but those are usually BNC and not coax. My curiosity is piqued. Lemme see if I can dig something up.

LOL!

And I doubt it's a terminator. It's way to big and involved.

I thought microphone cable was balanced and coaxial is unbalanced

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If this turns out to be like JoeyDVD's "How Do I Open a Safe" thread imma kill a nigga.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I thought microphone cable was balanced and coaxial is unbalanced
The talkback mic is just so the engineer can talk to the people in the recording booth, so it doesn't matter. I'm not sure why the talkbacks are BNC, but like many things in the recording industry, it is probably a dumb common practice that people just still do for no reason (there's a TON of that shit).

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
A silencer for an incredibly tiny shot gun.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
LOL.... Safe is still sitting there, mocking me.
Dude, I swear to Christ I'm gonna drive up there and open that bitch myself. My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools

A silencer for an incredibly tiny shot gun.
That made me el oh el.

[Woodenplank]But it's called a "suppressor".[/Woodenplank]

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I couldn't fucking sleep if I had a mystery safe at my house, not until I opened that fucker, not matter what it took.

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
I work for Comcast. It's the other end of a cable toner. It tones out the cable lines in the basement if the customer only wants certain rooms hooked up. The other end looks like a crack pipe that goes on the wallplate. That end you have there gets plugged into the fitting at the main splitter and it will make a ringing noise telling you that the cable that runs to that room.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I work for Comcast. It's the other end of a cable toner. It tones out the cable lines in the basement if the customer only wants certain rooms hooked up. The other end looks like a crack pipe that goes on the wallplate. That end you have there gets plugged into the fitting at the main splitter and it will make a ringing noise telling you that the cable that runs to that room.
So it IS a microphone. Cool. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Once you know the name of the thing, doing this is easy:

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
There's an old one of mine that doesn't work anymore. That piece he left is the one myself and other techs always fucking lose so I'm sure he's beyond pissed he left it behind.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

There's an old one of mine that doesn't work anymore. That piece he left is the one myself and other techs always fucking lose so I'm sure he's beyond pissed he left it behind.
You had 2 https in there. Fixed for ya.