Calif. Gray Whale Shot With Machine Gun

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
NEAH BAY, Wash. (AP) -- An injured California gray whale was swimming out to sea Saturday after being shot with a machine gun off the western tip of Washington state, officials said.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Kelly Parker said five people believed to be members of the Makah Tribe shot and harpooned the whale Saturday morning. The extent of the whale's injuries were not immediately known.
Tribe members were being held by the Coast Guard but had not been charged, said Mark Oswell, a spokesman for the law enforcement arm of the National Marine Fisheries Service.
A preliminary report said the whale was shot with a .50-caliber machine gun, Oswell said.
Coast Guard officials created a 1,000-yard safety zone around the injured whale, which was shot about a mile east of Neah Bay in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The whale had begun heading to sea Saturday afternoon, Oswell said.
Although the tribe has subsistence fishing rights to kill whales, Oswell said preliminary information indicates the whale may have been shot illegally.
"We allow native hunts for cultural purposes. However, this does not appear to be of that nature so far," he said.
The Makah Tribe has more than 1,000 members and is based in Neah Bay.
A call to tribal officials was not immediately returned on Saturday. Tribal Chairman Ben Johnson told The Seattle Times that the tribe has been seeking an exemption from the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act so that it could take up to five gray whales per year. However, Johnson said the tribe had not yet secured that exemption for a new hunt.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Where'd they get a .50 machine gun?

If they want to be natives they should use harpoons and arrows alone.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

indian reservations are exempt from federal law, if they want to hunt whales i say let them, the white man has fucked over the natives of this part of the world for 400+years. the shame is that they wernt allowed to keep there kill. so it will be wasted

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
I don't care if they are natives... you shouldnt be allowed to just open up on Ralphie May with a machine gun.

K

KellyG

Probably not a .50 machine gun.. waste of meat.

check out http://explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa100198.htm
The .50 caliber rifle was to make sure the whale didn't suffer after harpooning .

Thanks to CNN, who didn't check out their source, it is now a big deal, pesky tribal American Indians, machine gunning whales... I think in 1999, they successfully took a whale, paddling after it in the traditional way, then dispatched it with a single .50 shot.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
It wasn't a machine gun. Last time they used a Barrett 50 BMG rifle, bolt action. Stupid media discovered BMG means Browning Machine Gun, and suddenly, the injuns have a 50 cal machine gun.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
commercial whalers use exploding harpoons, now that is impressive