Camera Advice

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I need to buy a new digital camera today because my old one is really shitty and I'm going to the anime convention this weekend at the Javits center and will definitely be wanting to take a ton of photos.

Can anyone recommend a good one that is perhaps good in low lighting situations? Obviously I'm willing to spend like 200-400. I don't really want a really bulky one but it doesn't have to be super ultra slim or anything.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
check Newegg.com if you want a small one the olympus digi cams are small enough to fit into your shirt pocket. the canon ones take better pics but you can get a good quality shot from an olympus if you tweek the settings.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I bought this right before I went to Ireland. I absolutely love it. The battery lasted for days however I was told that after a while it won't hold it's charge as well. The pics came out great and my friend who is into photography borrowed it (her batteries ran out). She also absolutely loved it.

I got a 2 GB (?) memory card which will hold over 1,000 pics.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Do any of you take little video clips with your cameras too?

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Oh.. and do any of you know of a website that's basically like a database of cameras that actually has example jpgs from the cameras they list. I know I've been to it before but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
I bought this right before I went to Ireland. I absolutely love it. The battery lasted for days however I was told that after a while it won't hold it's charge as well. The pics came out great and my friend who is into photography borrowed it (her batteries ran out). She also absolutely loved it.

I got a 2 GB (?) memory card which will hold over 1,000 pics.
:QFT:

I just got the same camera except the 750 model and I love it....Takes great pics

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
The examples I've been checking out on pbase of HT's camera look really good, so I think I'm leaning towards that one.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I'd stick with the Canon. Sony's proprietary memory stick is a deal killer.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I have a Kodak Easyshare V603 6.1 Megapixel Digital Camera got it last year and I love it...Takes great pics, and great videos...I bought a 2gb memory card and can take like 1200 pics or like 2 hours of video...

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I did test the video feature on my camera but didn't get to dl it, so I'm no help. The camera is easy as hell to operate and has a ton of cool features.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
OK so I ended up buying the Canon PowerShot Elph like HT has. I looked at a shitload of examples on the web and that, coupled with HT's comments about his use of the camera, made me buy it. There's a Best Buy across the street from where I work, so I got it during lunch.

Holy shit this camera is so freakin small!! And it definitely feels really solid when I hold it. I haven't taken any of my own photos yet because I'm charging the battery. It does seem really simple to operate. I can't stand cameras that have like 5000 different functions. I'm not a hardcore photographer and I'm not pretending to be.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
no worries. You're not the first to refer to me with masculine pronouns, nor will you be the last.

I did the same. I also have a second battery on my Christmas list. It'll be nice to have, but not something I need right away.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I really want to test it out like right now. The battery has been charging for like 1/2 hour. I'm going to put it in the camera and just take a couple of test shots.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Here be some test shots (all taken in my cubicle):

Obviously, I'm not posting them in their original resolutions.

Capt'n Obvious

Thank You Mask Man
Feb 2, 2005
Long Island
:QFT:

I just got the same camera except the 750 model and I love it....Takes great pics
I just ordered that one last night... I like it better, because it has a 3 inch lcd. My friend has the 1000 and i loved it. sweet camera.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Another thing that rocks about this camera -- the charger doesn't have a wire. You just pop the battery into the adapter and plug it in. One less thing because I've got wires all over the place and have chargers for a ton of shit.