• OMG!!! GDPR!! GDPR!!! GDP f***ing R!!!!!!!!!!!111111one!

Bla, Bla, Bla, updated privacy policy, because "we care about you! "

ಠ_ಠ

If you even give a shit, our privacy policy is here.

Pro-tip: If you have a reasonable, and transparent policy from Day 1, then you don't have to run around like an asshole!

Canada gets arctic blimps and stealth snomobiles.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Arctic Blimps and Stealth Snowmobiles. Is There Something You’d Like to Share With Us, Canada?

Was Canada mocked one too many times at the last UN meeting/G20 powwow? Because they seem to be satisfying a serious manpower inferiority complex with plenty of…blimppower.
The floating objects are NOT blimps, says Hybrid Air Vehicles, the company that makes them and is selling 45 to Canadian flight company Discovery Air—they’re lighter-than-air vessels. But they look pretty blimpy to us. And combined with the Canadian military’s recent purchase of a prototype stealth (wait for it) snowmobile, we see the seeds for an epic motion-picture event: the Great Canadian Wars of 2012. Waterworld at -12 degrees!
But who, exactly, would they be fighting up there? Canada has no northern neighbor, except for wee harp seals and lemmings (there are polar bears, of course, but they’ve got bigger things to worry about). The blimpish vehicles, which lift off using buoyancy from helium and carry up to 55 tons, will be used for moving heavy cargo for industrial projects in the far north, according to a press release from HAV (though the vessels are also useful for military surveillance and materiel transport, according their site). Getting places in the northern climes, where extreme cold and ice make plane and car travel difficult, is a toughie, and these babies need no runway, can hover like a helicopter, and can carry massive amounts of stuff from point A to point B.
But the military snowmobiles? Who knows. Even if Canada is prepping for the resource-rush that will likely ensue as the Arctic melts, they’d be better off investing in ships. Or, maybe, more blimps
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...ke-to-share-with-us-canada/?hellocanadagetout

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I don't get it... Canada has a pretty massive rescue/Coast Guard type of presence, and everything on that list sounds like it'd be very good at that mission.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
I don't get it... Canada has a pretty massive rescue/Coast Guard type of presence, and everything on that list sounds like it'd be very good at that mission.
Yeah me too. Was this supposed to be a laugh at the Canadians thread?

Sounds reasonable to me. You people have to remember that Canada, unlike us, doesn't feel the need to police the world so they probably spend most of their defense budget on equipment they actually need and use.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
Fucking retarded. But all things considered, it's not nearly as bad as the dumb shit the US does on a constant basis.
Yes America is. The fact we don't have a few blimps tracking the boarder with Mexico is ridiculous. They cost nothing to operate compared to helicopters, They can stay up for days unlike copters who need to refuel constantly. They are cheap to produce compared to the millions of dollars for one chopper or plane. Why don't we have a few up these in the air with shitloads of surveillance gear placed in the sky at intervals along the border? Obama hates white people.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yes America is. The fact we don't have a few blimps tracking the boarder with Mexico is ridiculous. They cost nothing to operate compared to helicopters, They can stay up for days unlike copters who need to refuel constantly. They are cheap to produce compared to the millions of dollars for one chopper or plane. Why don't we have a few up these in the air with shitloads of surveillance gear placed in the sky at intervals along the border? Obama hates white people.
Because they're easy as fuck to shoot down?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It's not so much whether they're easy to shoot down, it's that they're pretty slow and easy to spot up in the air. Drug runners and wetbacks will just time their operations accordingly. Drones would work a lot better.

Yeah me too. Was this supposed to be a laugh at the Canadians thread?

Sounds reasonable to me. You people have to remember that Canada, unlike us, doesn't feel the need to police the world so they probably spend most of their defense budget on equipment they actually need and use.
We just bought a bunch of F-35's, I don't think we'll use them in actual combat.

Top Bottom