Canadian Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Teen

May 30, 2013
Streetcar shooting: Toronto police officer suspended
Shooting by police of Sammy Yatim, 18, leaves mother heartbroken

The Toronto police officer who shot a teenager on a downtown streetcar two days ago has been suspended from his job with pay, CBC News has learned.
The news about the officer's suspension comes hours after police Chief Bill Blair told reporters that people "have every right to be concerned" after an 18-year-old man armed with a knife on a downtown streetcar was shot repeatedly and killed by police this weekend — an incident captured by amateur video.
Blair said he has seen the video, which was posted online.
"I am very aware that the public is very concerned about this tragic event," he told media in a prepared statement. "They have every right to be concerned."
Witnesses say Sammy Yatim was alone on the 505 Dundas streetcar near Trinity Bellwoods Park when he was shot just after midnight ET Saturday morning. He had pulled a knife and ordered everybody off the streetcar, witnesses say.
The video shows the stopped streetcar at a distance, with multiple police officers nearby, at least one with his hands raised to shoulder height.
Nine gunshots are heard within 13 seconds.
Blair said he knows the public has many questions after seeing the video.
"I am also seeking answers to those important questions," he said. He promised an "unwavering commitment" to finding them.
The chief said he has asked Deputy Chief Mike Federico to reach out to the family.
"As a father, I can only imagine their terrible grief and their need for answers," Blair said.
Full Story Link (CBC News)

Outrage in Canada as moment police officer fatally shot man nine times in 13 seconds and is caught on video

A Toronto police officer fired nine shots in 13 seconds at a young man wielding a knife in an empty streetcar killing him on the spot, police said Monday.
Hundreds in Canada's largest city protested the shooting that was caught on video and posted on YouTube.
Some protesters called it unnecessary police force, and a former Toronto police detective who saw the video said it appeared that ‘excessive’ force had been used.
Full Story With Video Link (Daily Mail)

May 30, 2013
Video of the incident NSFL

Protest march

Last edited:

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Retarded Canucks apparently don't understand that within a certain distance a knife is the more deadly weapon.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Retarded Canucks apparently don't understand that within a certain distance a knife is the more deadly weapon.
I default to puncturing someone's wind pipe with my keys.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Maybe he should have dropped the fucking knife.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Wait...Canada has police? I thought they only had park rangers.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
May 30, 2013
<Douchey Libtard>Why didn't they shoot the knife out of his hand!</DL>
I only wish you were exaggerating.

Syeds Khans

In schools they teach kids how to disarm a knife with bare hands in a very basic self defense training, at least the school I went to.. It appears that our officers didn't have the same opportunity in their training.

newslistener1
How about medicated darts instead of lethal force as a last resort when dealing with a suspect with a knife?

I support Mr. McLean's opinion that the officers did not engage the young man and rushed through to the last possible option of lethal force without going through the proper steps in managing the situation.

The police have to realize that there might mental health issues, physical health problems or a language barrier that might prevent a suspect(s) from properly understanding commands. They should have taken time to properly assess the situation or set up a game plan to deal with the situation.

How many years of experience did the officer(s) have? From the video, it sounded like two different weapons were discharged to me..

FredWilliams
Why use guns at all. A properly trained police officer should be able to grab his wrist if he lunges and bring him to the ground. Several police officers were there. They could have easily subdued him and disarmed him without hurting him at all.
If the officer gets scratched, then that's why people look up to police officers; because they put themselves in harms way to protect the public, and the suspect as well. Nobody's going to look up at this fellow who shoots first and asks quwstions later. Heck we could hire anybody to do that.

G Lawrence
If a shot was necessary there was no need for it to be a fatal one. Shoot him in the leg if it comes to that, but there is no need for multiple fatal shots and a taser used afterwards. Even the most staunch supporters of the police must be able to see this as overkill.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
i love when these perfect scenario imagining assholes chime in with their opinions. or how about we throw some sleepy dust in the suspect's face? would that appease you not living in the real world asses?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

Sammy Yatim, 18, was shot at nine times and hit with a stun gun while alone on a streetcar in Toronto early Saturday. He was armed with a knife. (Facebook)

And it begins... note according to reports he was threatening passengers with said knife...

Watch CBC's interview with Sammy Yatim's mother

And the various media are beginning to "show their stripes" to say....

Oh and...

Sammy Yatim’s final warning: New audio reveals officer’s hostile words before teen was shot dead by police

A Toronto police officer at the centre of the streetcar shooting of teenager Sammy Yatim has been suspended as enhanced audio taken from the scene reveals an aggressive warning just seconds before nine gunshots were fired.

A single police officer, a six-year uniformed veteran, has been suspended with pay. About 10 officers were on the scene when one or more police officers opened fire on Yatim. The 18-year-old was brandishing a knife up to three inches long alone on a stationary streetcar early Saturday morning near Toronto’s busiest downtown park.

In the enhanced audio recording made available to the National Post, it appears police gave Yatim one stark warning just seconds before they opened fire.

“If you take one step in this direction with that foot …[inaudible] die,” a male police officer appears to tell the teenager. Five seconds later the first three shots ring out.

AUDIO OF THE ALLEGED COMMENT: REPEATS FIVE TIMES

The audio was filtered from video of the incident posted on YouTube. There are at least two videos of the shooting, which occurred at about 12:05 a.m. Saturday morning on Dundas West, and Bellwoods Avenue.

Word of the suspension came amid rising tensions over the shooting, as many Torontonians complained on social media and at an ‘emergency vigil’ Monday night that police have become too aggressive, citing multiple shootings in recent years and the G-20 protests of 2010.

Flyers for a demonstration, which began at about Monday night in co-ordination with Yatim’s family, called for “Justice for Sammy! Killer cops off our streets.” The march began at Yonge-Dundas Square and headed down Dundas West to Trinity Bellwoods to the spot where Yatim was shot, and then to 14 Division. Hundreds attended the march, including Yatim’s mother and sister.

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit, which probes deaths and serious injuries involving police, would not reveal how many times Yatim was shot. He was also shot with a Taser after the initial gunfire.

Eyewitness videos show Yatim was alone on the streetcar but metres away from the half-dozen police officers when shots were fired, prompting many questions from the public.

Sitting at the doorstep of the Yatim home in north-east Toronto, family friend Joseph Nazar said the the Yatims are “collapsing” in grief.

“He’s a good kid. There’s no reason for this guy to be dead, there’s no reason. Police, they are professional, they are trained. If they can’t handle two inches of knife, how are they going to handle something else?” he asked. “They are bullet proof, they are bullet proof. How could two inches of knife harm anyone? And why the nine shots? That’s the question.”

Yatim was originally from Syria but moved to Toronto to be with his father about five years ago. His mother still lives in the wartorn country.

His uncle, Mejad “Jim” Yatim, wrote an emotional email to the National Post Monday.

“Anger, pain, sorrow. All I can do is cry why not me? I probably deserved those bullets more than he did,” he wrote.

Comments on a Facebook event page for Monday night’s demonstration ranged from militant anti-police statements to calls for calm.

“Words cannot express my rage at worsening police brutality and arrogance in this city,” wrote Eva Saphir, 70.

“I am truly disgusted with the way this was handled and to watch the video is very disturbing,” Greg Gallagher also wrote.

Nazar said the Yatim family plans to issue a statement and has spoken to lawyers.

Sensing the significant and growing anger of the public over the police shooting of Yatim, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair issued an extraordinary statement Monday morning, promising there would be answers for what occurred and offered his condolences to the family.

“As a father I can only imagine their terrible grief and their need for answers,” he said. “Like many members of the public, I have viewed the video of this incident. I am aware of the very serious concerns that the public has.

“I know that people are seeking answers as to what occurred, why it happened and if anything could have been done to prevent the tragic death of this young man. I am also seeking the answers to these important questions.”

The statement came after Toronto police told the National Post and other outlets that they could not speak on the shooting because the SIU was involved.

“We appreciate the chief today making a statement today — that’s very nice, but we’ll follow it up. You know, we believe in the justice system and we’ll go through that,” Nazar said.

Senator Don Meredith, co-founder of the GTA Faith Alliance, an interfaith group that is dedicated to finding solutions to youth violence, spoke to media after Blair’s press conference.

“The unfortunate situation is that this man is now dead. Nothing that we do today or say today will bring that back,” he told reporters Monday.

“This is not the first incident that has taken place in this city but i think there are measures being out on place that will address further incidents like these from taking place.”

He said he trusted he SIU would look at the mental state of the victim and investigate what led up to the incident taking place.

VIDEOS OF INCIDENT DRAW ANGER FROM PUBLIC

Local resident Martin Baron first posted the video of the incident on YouTube, tweeting: “To witness a shooting is horrible, but in front of your house?”

He told the National Post that he didn’t see Yatim make any threatening movements toward police.

“This is what was weird. He looked like he was frozen, in shock. He was standing with the knife up at shoulder height beside his head. The whole time I saw him, I didn’t see him move. He really looked like he was just frozen,” Baron said.

However, he said he couldn’t see Yatim when he was shot or shortly beforehand.

“Nine shots, I just sort of visualized – what kind of damage have they done? And then about 30 seconds after that, we heard the Taser. That just seemed over the top. Like what are they doing?” he asked.

Joseph Spedaliere, 55, a teacher who lives on Bellwoods Avenue, said he was awakened early Saturday morning by shouts of “drop the knife!”

He said he couldn’t hear Yatim at all.

“Just the police, and they were very loud. I went to the window when he kept saying ‘drop the knife’ over and over and over,” he said.

“It was the one guy yelling and everyone else standing with their guns pointed.”

He blames poor training, not the police involved. “Stop blaming these guys [the cops]. They’re just doing their job on the street.”

Baron’s video, shot from at least 10 metres away, shows police surrounding the front door of the streetcar while a solitary figure, wearing white pants, a dark short-sleeve shirt and a ball hat, holds a small object in his hand, near the driver’s seat.

Police can be heard yelling, “Drop the knife! Do it now!”

A muffled voice can be heard repeatedly saying, “You’re a p—-. You’re a f—– p—-,” although it is not clear who is saying it and who it is directed towards, although witnesses said it appeared to be Yatim.

“If you take one step in this direction . . .,” a male police officer can be heard before his voice becomes muffled in the video.
Link/More

I am curious since I gather he is from North York (suburbia)... he would be on a Street Car basically downtownish... at that time of night etc...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I wonder if the Street car had video surveillance... it does look like one of the newerish ones...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Sammy sounds like a fucktard who failed to follow instructions when there were weapons pointed at him. Hence, he wanted to die but was too much of a pussy to slice his own wrist.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The Star (of course listed recent police shootings)... you might find a theme with the Stabby McDeads...

Here is a list of some other well-known fatalities after confrontations with Toronto police.

• Sylvia Klibingaitis
On Oct. 7, 2011, the 52-year-old woman was shot dead outside her North York home, while carrying a knife in front of police. She had called 911 and told the operator she had a knife and was going to “commit a crime.” Klibingaitis struggled with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and psychotic delusions.

• Reyal Jardine-Douglas
Jardine-Douglas died on Aug. 29, 2010, when he fled a bus after it was pulled over by police. After his death, his family said the Pickering man suffered from mental illness, including paranoia. A knife was recovered at the scene.

• Byron Debassige
On Feb. 16, 2008, Byron Debassige , a 28-year-old who suffered from schizophrenia, stumbled into a Yonge St. market and tried to steal lemons. He pulled a knife on the store clerk and then made a dash for nearby Oriole Park. Two officers arrived and began questioning Debassige, who pulled out an eight-centimetre (three-inch) blade from his pocket and pointed it at them. He refused to drop the knife and moved toward the officers. They shot five times, striking him in the chest.

• O’Brien Christopher-Reid
In June 2004, Christopher-Reid, 26, was shot four times by police after allegedly lunging at an officer with a knife. He suffered from profound delusions. An inquest recommended police training include more communication techniques.

• Otto Vass
On Aug. 9, 2000, the 55-year-old man was shot dead after he struggled with police officers outside a west-end 7-Eleven.

• Tony Andrade
On May 13, 1997, Andrade, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, was shot after he came at police with a board. The Crown withdrew a charge of assault against an officer.

• Edmond Yu
In February 1997, Edmond Yu, 35, was shot and killed while threatening officers with a hammer on a TTC bus. He had struggled with schizophrenia and been in and out of hospitals for more than a decade.

• Wayne Williams
On June 11, 1996, the 24-year-old man who suffered from schizophrenia was gunned down by police in Scarborough, allegedly after threatening them with a knife. The inquest recommended a mandatory mental health refresher course for all officers.

• Lester Donaldson
On Aug. 9, 1988, the mentally unstable man was shot dead after waving a knife at an officer. An inquest resulted in 37 recommendations, including the use of pepper spray, education in policing in a multiracial society (Donaldson was black), and a more formal liaison with psychiatric facilities.