OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Canadian Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Teen

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by HandPanzer, Jul 29, 2013.

1. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

Full Story Link (CBC News)

Full Story With Video Link (Daily Mail)

2. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

Video of the incident NSFL

Protest march

#2 HandPanzer, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

4. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

Don't bring one either. I had to, apologies.

Lord Zero likes this.
  5. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

There, I fixed it. Fucker.

6. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

:haha7:

7. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Retarded Canucks apparently don't understand that within a certain distance a knife is the more deadly weapon.

Yesterdays Hero likes this.
  8. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

I default to puncturing someone's wind pipe with my keys.

9. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Sounds like a tazer too.

10. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Maybe he should have dropped the fucking knife.

CougarHunter and JonBenetRamsey like this.
  11. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Ya after they shot him... nice... oh do the various privacy laws I highly doubt we will find out if he had issues mentally or criminally...

12. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Wait...Canada has police? I thought they only had park rangers.

13. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

They got some guys on horses a while ago...

[​IMG]

14. Hudson

Donator

15. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

<Douchey Libtard>Why didn't they shoot the knife out of his hand!</DL>

Lord Zero likes this.
  16. Hudson

Donator

[​IMG]

CougarHunter likes this.
  17. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

I only wish you were exaggerating.

Syeds Khans

In schools they teach kids how to disarm a knife with bare hands in a very basic self defense training, at least the school I went to.. It appears that our officers didn't have the same opportunity in their training.

newslistener1
    How about medicated darts instead of lethal force as a last resort when dealing with a suspect with a knife?

I support Mr. McLean's opinion that the officers did not engage the young man and rushed through to the last possible option of lethal force without going through the proper steps in managing the situation.

The police have to realize that there might mental health issues, physical health problems or a language barrier that might prevent a suspect(s) from properly understanding commands. They should have taken time to properly assess the situation or set up a game plan to deal with the situation.

How many years of experience did the officer(s) have? From the video, it sounded like two different weapons were discharged to me..

FredWilliams
    Why use guns at all. A properly trained police officer should be able to grab his wrist if he lunges and bring him to the ground. Several police officers were there. They could have easily subdued him and disarmed him without hurting him at all.
    If the officer gets scratched, then that's why people look up to police officers; because they put themselves in harms way to protect the public, and the suspect as well. Nobody's going to look up at this fellow who shoots first and asks quwstions later. Heck we could hire anybody to do that.

G Lawrence
    If a shot was necessary there was no need for it to be a fatal one. Shoot him in the leg if it comes to that, but there is no need for multiple fatal shots and a taser used afterwards. Even the most staunch supporters of the police must be able to see this as overkill.

18. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i love when these perfect scenario imagining assholes chime in with their opinions. or how about we throw some sleepy dust in the suspect's face? would that appease you not living in the real world asses?

19. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

[​IMG]

Sammy Yatim, 18, was shot at nine times and hit with a stun gun while alone on a streetcar in Toronto early Saturday. He was armed with a knife. (Facebook)

And it begins... note according to reports he was threatening passengers with said knife...

Watch CBC's interview with Sammy Yatim's mother

And the various media are beginning to "show their stripes" to say....

Oh and...

Link/More

I am curious since I gather he is from North York (suburbia)... he would be on a Street Car basically downtownish... at that time of night etc...

20. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

that's right, cops can't do their jobs and everyone should be allowed to threaten others with knives. then we'll have a liberal utopia.

21. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

I wonder if the Street car had video surveillance... it does look like one of the newerish ones...

22. d0uche_n0zzle

Sammy sounds like a fucktard who failed to follow instructions when there were weapons pointed at him. Hence, he wanted to die but was too much of a pussy to slice his own wrist.

23. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

The Star (of course listed recent police shootings)... you might find a theme with the Stabby McDeads...

Here is a list of some other well-known fatalities after confrontations with Toronto police.

• Sylvia Klibingaitis
    On Oct. 7, 2011, the 52-year-old woman was shot dead outside her North York home, while carrying a knife in front of police. She had called 911 and told the operator she had a knife and was going to “commit a crime.” Klibingaitis struggled with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and psychotic delusions.

• Reyal Jardine-Douglas
    Jardine-Douglas died on Aug. 29, 2010, when he fled a bus after it was pulled over by police. After his death, his family said the Pickering man suffered from mental illness, including paranoia. A knife was recovered at the scene.

• Byron Debassige
    On Feb. 16, 2008, Byron Debassige , a 28-year-old who suffered from schizophrenia, stumbled into a Yonge St. market and tried to steal lemons. He pulled a knife on the store clerk and then made a dash for nearby Oriole Park. Two officers arrived and began questioning Debassige, who pulled out an eight-centimetre (three-inch) blade from his pocket and pointed it at them. He refused to drop the knife and moved toward the officers. They shot five times, striking him in the chest.

• O’Brien Christopher-Reid
    In June 2004, Christopher-Reid, 26, was shot four times by police after allegedly lunging at an officer with a knife. He suffered from profound delusions. An inquest recommended police training include more communication techniques.

• Otto Vass
    On Aug. 9, 2000, the 55-year-old man was shot dead after he struggled with police officers outside a west-end 7-Eleven.

• Tony Andrade
    On May 13, 1997, Andrade, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, was shot after he came at police with a board. The Crown withdrew a charge of assault against an officer.

• Edmond Yu
    In February 1997, Edmond Yu, 35, was shot and killed while threatening officers with a hammer on a TTC bus. He had struggled with schizophrenia and been in and out of hospitals for more than a decade.

• Wayne Williams
    On June 11, 1996, the 24-year-old man who suffered from schizophrenia was gunned down by police in Scarborough, allegedly after threatening them with a knife. The inquest recommended a mandatory mental health refresher course for all officers.

• Lester Donaldson
    On Aug. 9, 1988, the mentally unstable man was shot dead after waving a knife at an officer. An inquest resulted in 37 recommendations, including the use of pepper spray, education in policing in a multiracial society (Donaldson was black), and a more formal liaison with psychiatric facilities.

24. d0uche_n0zzle

Sounds like Canada has a crazy problem with crazy people running amok.

25. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well at least the police are dealing with them... :::cough:::