Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
They're wrong.

I'm not saying that video games are a lesser medium, just that they're a different medium.

I might see The Predator tonight, FYI.
Fine different medium, it doesn't mean the experience can't be the same. It seams like you don't hold video games to a high standard.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Fine different medium, it doesn't mean the experience can't be the same. It seams like you don't hold video games to a high standard.
A) My pants are fine.
B) On the contrary. You're actually completely wrong. I watch a lot of movies, yes, and I'm not a "video game guy" because I really don't have the time to invest in it. But I'd never say as a blanket statement that movies are better than video games or either are better/worse than novels or graphic novels or television or concept albums. All mediums have their unique strengths. I've lost nights playing video games in a way I could never do with a TV series or book - and not even modern games, I can do it with NES Mega Man. I can get genuinely immersed in a game. But I don't want a Batman movie that features the Dark Knight spending five hours going after a Riddler trophy. Outside of an Edge of Tomorrow, I don't want a war movie where people can respawn. Play to your strengths; you can't have everything.

Last edited:
As Piggy already said. All the things that are interesting will be hard/impossible to implement into the film.

Still, even the interesting stuff is kinda boring.

How about a Captain Universe movie? A sentient power travels from person to person giving them super powers to right wrongs for a little while.

"Son, you can't have Captain Universe's powers cause you made mommy and daddy get a divorce. Sleep tight!"

It's a cool game, but I doubt I'll ever come close to finishing it. I remember playing the first two Arkham games for hours/days and then never even opened the third one.

I've been pondering the invented cycle of outrage. This guy pretends to get upset about a video game character helping cops, and people pretend to get upset because he has a strange opinion on a video game. And the majority of it is just to get clicks. And I understand that - @Neon is obligated to have an opinion on it because it's part of his responsibility to his followers to get outraged or mock those who are outraged. The weird part for me is when regular folks like @Bobobie get outraged. I guess looping regular people in is part of the cycle of outrage. Like if that guy posted that article and nobody tweeted the link or even mentioned it, it would just sit out there for a few hours and then that would be that. Why do people allow themselves to get manipulated into taking a side on one person's meaningless opinion?

Like that whole stupid thing with Battlefield. If @ruckstande lived in a media vacuum and got the game and just started playing it, he probably wouldn't have noticed or cared that there were female characters in the game. Maybe a little "sign of the times" shrug and that's it. But the people whose responsibility it is to whip people into a froth have done so and now he may not buy a game he would have otherwise enjoyed. That's just weird to me. Nothing against ruckstande in particular, it's just an example.
I commented a lot on Twitter about it. Also I have the game and played the intro mission and it's fucking killer but I'm deeply embedded in another game right now so I'm not diving into it just yet.

PS: My basic point about the Spider-Cop takes are the most games writers today aren't games writers. Their social justice writers whose beat is gaming. It's the only angle they ever have, and they also all riff off of each others' crap (there were like 4 different "muh police" takes on this game). It's gotten predictable and boring.

PS: My basic point about the Spider-Cop takes are the most games writers today aren't games writers. Their social justice writers whose beat is gaming. It's the only angle they ever have, and they also all riff off of each others' crap (there were like 4 different "muh police" takes on this game). It's gotten predictable and boring.
They're slowly turning PC Gamer, my go to video game website, into a new kotaku or polygon. They were neutral for so long but more and more political articles keep showing up.

LiddyRules

I commented a lot on Twitter about it. Also I have the game and played the intro mission and it's fucking killer but I'm deeply embedded in another game right now so I'm not diving into it just yet.

That seems to be everything though, not just video games. But I also can't really get outraged at it because how many ways can you say "swinging, 8/10. Fisticuffs, 8.5/10"? You need to be first at something that takes literally a day of time to even begin delving into. So you do something like this to get Outrage Clicks because it's cheap and easy. I don't know how genuine or disingenuous it is or if it even matters.

That seems to be everything though, not just video games. But I also can't really get outraged at it because how many ways can you say "swinging, 8/10. Fisticuffs, 8.5/10"? You need to be first at something that takes literally a day of time to even begin delving into. So you do something like this to get Outrage Clicks because it's cheap and easy. I don't know how genuine or disingenuous it is or if it even matters.
It's disingenuous on the part of the publications and editors, but they hire douchebags who earnestly feel like they're making the world a better place by complaining about how Tomb Raider doesn't reckon with colonialism. In other words the grunts are true believers. The officers do it for the clicks.

complaining about how Tomb Raider doesn't reckon with colonialism.
What the fuck does colonialism have to do with tomb raiding?

Every game is finding artifacts and shooting mercenaries who want to take your artifacts. Is it because she's taking artifacts from other cultures? Is she culturally appropriating their old stone cat statues? (yes I used the plot of The Rundown as an example here)

What the fuck does colonialism have to do with tomb raiding?

Every game is finding artifacts and shooting mercenaries who want to take your artifacts. Is it because she's taking artifacts from other cultures? Is she culturally appropriating their old stone cat statues? (yes I used the plot of The Rundown as an example here, I like that movie)
Robbing indigenous cultures? I think it has a cannibalistic tribe in it, which I guess is problematic?

Robbing indigenous cultures? I think it has a cannibalistic tribe in it, which I guess is problematic?
In the reboot TR series you wake up in a cave full of hug up bodies. I can't remember if they were eating them or not. Its no worse than Jack Sparrow escaping the cannibals in Pirates 2.

In the reboot TR series you wake up in a cave full of hug up bodies. I can't remember if they were eating them or not. Its no worse than Jack Sparrow escaping the cannibals in Pirates 2.
Like I said - they are social justice writers on the gaming beat. "X is problematic" is basically the first step for everything they write.

Like I said - they are social justice writers on the gaming beat. "X is problematic" is basically the first step for everything they write.
They want this and they want that but none of it is fun or interesting. They also don't understand that any sort of minor change in a game = tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Curly hair is much harder to implement in a game not because of racism but because of rendering engines. Colonialism isn't in Tomb Raider because people don't want to be lectured. They want to climb cliffs and solve puzzles that unlock artifacts.

LiddyRules

It's disingenuous on the part of the publications and editors, but they hire douchebags who earnestly feel like they're making the world a better place by complaining about how Tomb Raider doesn't reckon with colonialism. In other words the grunts are true believers. The officers do it for the clicks.
It's an unwinnable situation. I wouldn't want to censor people, and if someone really feels that way, I don't want to silence their voices. I might disagree but it doesn't make their feelings invalid. If the editors want to keep publishing it because they get more clicks from that than "swinging - 8.5" then that's their prerogative. And I don't blame them for that either.

So what do you do? The vast, vast, vast majority of people roll their eyes at "Tomb Raider = Colonialism," but there's not really much traction you can get from "Yeah, and?" Even if you see their point, you still don't care. It's not something that connects with you emotionally, so it doesn't bother you even if it is true. If you squint hard enough, everything is problematic in its own way. If that's their worldview, you're not changing it and it's a fool's errand to try.

Yet you can't engage them because you're entering their arena. They've set up the parameters of the debate. They've set up the rules of this universe. It's a faulty base, yes, but it's their faulty base. It's a stupid video game. Colonialism never once came into your mind, but by disagreeing with them, you're being set up to defend colonialism more than not caring about colonialism in the first place.

But you also don't want to be dismissive because if you're dismissive, they win - their points are too real and strong to be argued and you're some fossil unable to deal with the death of the old order.

Plus you don't want to be tied in with the people who really live to be outraged by outrage, but whose ability at discourse barely rises above "Fuck you cunt".

And I don't really think this is new or that people never thought this way before. It's just that the Internet allows people's voices to be heard from all corners of the world, and for the most part, you're not getting attention unless you're taking an extreme position. And personally, I think is a huge, huge problem and getting worse every day.

I don't know. What would Captain Universe do? Can you really right anything anymore or does everything just lead to another sociopolitical wrong? Are we worth saving?

A nice flick to make the Strong Woman key to taking down Thanos in Untitled Avengers Movie a little less deus ex machina.

I haven't watched the trailer yet but I'm going to stick with drooling outrage.
I'll sum it up.

1 - Pulp Fiction Sam Jackson proves black don't crack.

2 - "Strong female character" = boring shell of a person once again.

Strong doesn't always equal better. Weakness makes a person relatable. All she did the entire trailer was walk in a straight line and scowl at the camera. Like a super model walking down the run way basically. So fierce in this seasons latest Kree fashion!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I haven't watched the trailer yet but I'm going to stick with drooling outrage.
As you know, Marvel uses other movies or genres as "templates" for their movies. They've made some bizarre choices recently, such as using The Phantom Menace as the template for Black Panther. This one might actually be more bizarre. From the trailer at least, it looks like they are using:

Pigdango

Donator
I just want to add that Digitally De-Aged Coulson is damn sexy.

Pigdango

Donator
Her punching the granny is already becoming a thing.