Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I, for one, think it looks good, and am looking forward to watching it. At this point, I have faith that they'll put out a good product and that I'll geek out over this one as much as I geek out over the others, which is too much.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
There are obvious similarities, but they are superficial. Did Green Lantern fail because it was about pilots? Did it fail because it was about a space police force? No. It failed because the villain was a giant cloud thing. The script was trying to do too much at once, a common problem with WB’s films, including Aquaman, which somehow managed to be decent in spite of this. The conflict wasn’t with the movie’s villain as much as it was with Sinestro. By trying to do both, they did neither very well. Green Lantern’s wiki page sums it up best: “in a mid credits scene, Sinestro takes the yellow ring and places it on his finger for some reason.”

Marvel has struggled with their villains somewhat, but they always seem to do right with the hero’s journey. That story here seems very straight forward. Couple of alien races are in a fight, and Earth is caught in the crossfire. A soldier on one side learns she has some Earth heritage and struggles to reconcile her faulty memories of that against her loyalty and training to her team.

In Green Lantern, what was Hal Jordan’s journey? He is a cocky prick, finds a ring, meets his team of space police, is a cocky prick, meets a cocky prick in Sinestro who is mean to him. Hal quits and goes home, but decides to be a hero because a hot chick is in danger. Then a cloud monster appears and Hal goes back to the space cops to help, but they don’t because reasons, (the wiki says they are fine just letting cloud eat Earth, which makes no sense) and Hal manages to save the day anyway. He is saved by Sinestro, who then puts on the yellow ring “for some reason.”

Without a real character arc for Hal, the movie has to live on what they did with cloud monster and I guess setting up Sinestro for the sequel.
What about Saarsgaard?

LiddyRules

I, for one, think it looks good, and am looking forward to watching it. At this point, I have faith that they'll put out a good product and that I'll geek out over this one as much as I geek out over the others, which is too much.
If you like it, it's political correctness. If you dislike it, you're sexist. If you're middle of the road, you're whichever the person you're talking to fears most.

LiddyRules

I just rolled him into cloud thing.
When we HitWed it, there was a moment where they're in the middle of a fight and it immediately cuts to them doing their own thing at completely different places.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
When we HitWed it, there was a moment where they're in the middle of a fight and it immediately cuts to them doing their own thing at completely different places.
Was that a flashback? For a movie I’ve watched twice, I don’t remember much about it.

LiddyRules

Was that a flashback? For a movie I’ve watched twice, I don’t remember much about it.
No. They were fighting, then they were both rolling on the ground in pain, then they were in completely different locations doing something completely different.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
If you like it, it's political correctness. If you dislike it, you're sexist. If you're middle of the road, you're whichever the person you're talking to fears most.
Can't just watch a pretty girl shoot lasers out of her hands anymore. Sigh.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
She's pretty....pretty wooden, amirite?

Pretty woolen? Like a sweater? Stop speaking nonsense.

"Hold on now, he may be onto something. "Wooden".. wood.. paper...money....Jews...he's saying the Jews contaiminated the nerd subculture by bringing in the mainstream point of view and creating a non-sexualized Ms. Marvel who has no emotions. BRILLIANT!" :D

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I just saw a trailer for this. You can tell it's not well done.

edit: Probably is just Brie as others have pointed out.

Pigdango

Donator
I just saw a trailer for this. You can tell it's not well done.

edit: Probably is just Brie as others have pointed out.
Here’s where I think the Marvel movies are starting to fall apart. Some of the directors they bring in, like Ryan Coogler and the peeps who made Captain Marvel, have no experience on a movie of this size, with big action set pieces that have to fit in with these dramatic beats. Rather than Feige coaching them through it, as he did with at least Gunn and the Russo’s, Marvel is now just telling these directors “we will handle the action scenes.” I think the reason is that Marvel’s development cycle on their films has gotten shorter, and of course Feige is more powerful and is getting pulled in more directions.

I didn’t know that when I watched Black Panther, I just knew something didn’t feel right during the car chase and the Battle of Naboo at the end. When I heard that Marvel is doing that, it made BP’s disjointedness make a whole lot more sense.

It’s been a slow erosion of the quality and flow of the movies, and it doesn’t affect all of them. Black Panther and Thor the Dark Thor are the two best examples of it, and I have a hunch this will be the same.

I know you don’t care at all about any of this, but those are my thoughts.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Here’s where I think the Marvel movies are starting to fall apart. Some of the directors they bring in, like Ryan Coogler and the peeps who made Captain Marvel, have no experience on a movie of this size, with big action set pieces that have to fit in with these dramatic beats. Rather than Feige coaching them through it, as he did with at least Gunn and the Russo’s, Marvel is now just telling these directors “we will handle the action scenes.” I think the reason is that Marvel’s development cycle on their films has gotten shorter, and of course Feige is more powerful and is getting pulled in more directions.

I didn’t know that when I watched Black Panther, I just knew something didn’t feel right during the car chase and the Battle of Naboo at the end. When I heard that Marvel is doing that, it made BP’s disjointedness make a whole lot more sense.

It’s been a slow erosion of the quality and flow of the movies, and it doesn’t affect all of them. Black Panther and Thor the Dark Thor are the two best examples of it, and I have a hunch this will be the same.

I know you don’t care at all about any of this, but those are my thoughts.
It's pretty amazing Marvel has been able to stay as good as it has for as long as it has. The goodwill I have towards the franchise will excuse a few mediocre movies, but I hope they're able to avoid soulless, assembly line movie making for as long as possible (if that makes sense).

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
There is also a huge problem with Brie Larson who has been spinning Captain Marvel as a feminist movie, essentially isolating the audience, and she even recently came out against white males for some reason. I'm actually surprised and disappointed in Kevin Feige that he is allowing Larson to destroy the MCU audience, and that Disney and CEO Bob Iger haven't learned anything from Star Wars. It's never a good thing to split the audience or insult them. Do they not want white males to go see the movie?
Duh!

Pigdango

Donator
The movie isn’t even out, and $100 million would be a huge opening for a movie featuring a D list character.