Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Lots of shit leaks on reddit. It may or may not be true. I believe it sounds true. So nertz to you sonny Jim!
A blind nut catches a squirrel every once in a while. But most of the time they don't.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I don't think Piggy understands the difference between a reporter and a source. He's used to "reporters" making up thier own news.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captai...a-global-international-box-office-1202571318/

FRIDAY UPDATE:
Disney/Marvel’s Captain Marvel amassed $44M in its first two days of overseas release. That Wednesday/Thursday international box office on the Brie Larson-starrer does not include China where the film opened today. In the Middle Kingdom, it is coming in at $34M (including Thursday midnights). That gives Carol Danvers bragging rights to the 2nd best MCU launch day ever in the market, behind only Avengers: Infinity War. Across all superhero movies, she’s 3rd behind Venom which bowed to $34.9M (including midnights) last November.

Overall, Captain Marvel is opening as the top western release in all markets as well as seeing the highest March debut in many, and is the biggest first day for a stand-alone MCU character in most. In the same suite of markets and at today’s exchange rates, Captain Marvel is currently pacing ahead of other MCU origins stories Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man in most markets. Heading into the weekend, estimates on the international debut were ranging from $180M-$210M+. It will go well higher than the latter figure.

Captain Marvel is currently playing in 42 markets — notably it hit the 2nd highest opening day in industry history in Brazil. Today adds the UK, Mexico — and China, officially. Through today, it will be out everywhere save Japan which goes March 15.
Captain Marvel is currently pacing ahead of other MCU origins stories Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man in most markets.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't think Piggy understands the difference between a reporter and a source. He's used to "reporters" making up thier own news.
The guy's source was reddit. It was literally one person on reddit making up a story. I don't think BIV understands when he shouldn't be condescending.

Pigdango

Donator
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-box-office-breaks-records-1202571905/

‘Captain Marvel’ Darting To Super $156M-$160M Opening – Midday Update
by Anthony D'Alessandro

March 8, 2019 12:19pm

FRIDAY MIDDAY UPDATE: At this point in time Captain Marvel is eyeing a $63.5M Friday, including her $20.7M Thursday night haul. That figure is just under Beauty and the Beast‘s first day of $63.77M (which turned around a $174.7M opening, the best ever in March), and under Batman v. Superman‘s Good Friday haul of $81.55M on March 25, 2016 which grossed a 3-day of $166M.

Where does this put Captain Marvel stateside? Industry estimates predict between $156M and $160M, possibly more. Again, it’s early, these numbers can fluctuate, etc., but it’s quite clear: There’s a lot of business going on this weekend in multiplexes around the world. With guys being the dominant moviegoer last night, the question is whether more women will make a date today to watch Carol Danvers on International Women’s Day.
They haven't listed it yet, but I expect Alita Battle Angel to also notch a $150 million weekend. I believe that would be the first time in history two films had $150 million in the same weekend.

The guy's source was reddit. It was literally one person on reddit making up a story. I don't think BIV understands when he shouldn't be condescending.
Hold it hold it hold it....... I didn't get what the ice cream picture meant.

Is he finishing editing because the movie did well? Is the ice cream an inside joke? If the movie has a good weekend but bad reviews does that constitute success? Isn't my Slide N' Go avatar awesome? Can I drink another cup of coffee without the jitters? Why am I asking questions still? Is this bit even funny anymore? Can I figure out how to stop? Please god someone help me? That last one wasn't even a question?

Point being. I like this thread.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
It appears salty fanboys can spew a ton of shit but have no self control when it comes to these movies

KRSOne

Take out the trolls and the real audience score is probably around 50%-60%.

Edit: Unless RT is already removing negative scores.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
My coworker reviews movies. Says he loved it.

Bobobie

That's gotta be a surprise for Marvel. I don't think they expected that much.
Some other movies looked good coming out of the gate. Solo had a pretty good Thursday Night too. I'm guessing 80-100 million this weekend.

Pigdango

Donator
Some other movies looked good coming out of the gate. Solo had a pretty good Thursday Night too. I'm guessing 80-100 million this weekend.
I honestly don’t know whether to laugh at you or admire you at this point.

More Rotten Tomatoes Shenanigans.

Well, that settles that question.

Pigdango

Donator
No way. $150 million+ if the numbers hold. It won’t drop that much.
Even if it holds as bad as Solo - which as far as I can tell had the very worst Thursday to weekend multiplier of all time - you’re looking at $120 million for Captain Marvel.

I can’t believe that people like that Quarter guy or the World Class Bullshit guy keep doubling down, but then you realize they have a small, very dedicated, and very stupid legion of followers that are buying into everything they are saying and you put yourselves in their shoes - why not keep doubling down? There seem to be no consequences whatsoever for them being proven 100% wrong. The fools keep clicking and marching off to different websites to “sabotage” the movie to prove...I guess something? That women shouldn’t be allowed to be in movies?

Even if it holds as bad as Solo - which as far as I can tell had the very worst Thursday to weekend multiplier of all time - you’re looking at $120 million for Captain Marvel.
So whats this movie gotta clear to cover the cost of production/marketing?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
About $325 million worldwide, maybe a little more since China takes a bigger cut of the box office. THANKS, DRUMPF!
The correct answer is "$150 million more than whatever its final total is."

Pigdango

Donator
Perhaps more than that gentlemen.

Sent from your Mom's box.
You’re probably right. Let’s do the real math:

Marvel turned a profit of $122 million off Doctor Strange’s worldwide gross of $677 million, so it’s break even was something in the neighborhood of $525 million. It’s not quite as simple as subtracting $122 from $677 because of profit participation. The more it made, the more they paid out.

So that means Captain Marvel probably needs closer to $475-$500 million to break even. They may not be giving Brie Larson as many back end dollars as Cumberbatch, but Jackson probably will get his cut.