Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

You’re probably right. Let’s do the real math:

Marvel turned a profit of $122 million off Doctor Strange’s worldwide gross of $677 million, so it’s break even was something in the neighborhood of $525 million. It’s not quite as simple as subtracting $122 from $677...
Clearly. Subtracting $122 from $677 would leave you at $555.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

Pigdango

Donator
People that actually saw the movie gave it a slightly better score:

Atomic Fireball

Donator
I'll make it very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. It's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. It's just a fun action movie that introduces us to a new superhero Captain Marvel, played brilliantly by Brie Larson. I became an instant fan watching her in this action heroine avatar, something she manages to pull off with ease. Watch her in the action sequences and there's no way you can't be impressed. Viewers were literally cheering for some of the most heroic moments in the film. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury is as awesome as always, it's just that his character feels even better and refined than what we've seen. Jude Law is also quite good, and so are Ben Mendelsohn and Lashana Lynch.

But the one character that ultimately steals the show is Goose, the cat. Some of the sequences involving her are so hilarious that it was really difficult to stop laughing.

Visual effects are excellent, and the IMAX 3D viewing just elevated them. And since it's most importantly an action movie, every single action sequence it delivers is impressive, especially the train sequence. I would call it one of the major highlights of the movie. Cinematography in certain portions is really impressive. Humor, like any other MCU movie, is top notch and really manages to make you laugh.

Captain Marvel has a simple-looking origin story presented and executed in a terrific manner. The directors have done a great job with the characterization of Captain Marvel, and that is what makes everything in the film seem so good. The pace is brisk, gore is minimal to no, and there's nothing unsuitable for kids

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I'm seeing a lot of "middle of the road" reviews from my friends. I have a feeling it's not going to get better with age.

Still leaning towards not bothering with this one at least for now. It's ok. I skipped Ant Man and Doctor Strange initially, too. The MCU somehow survived.

Pigdango

Donator
You said you didn't like it. So do you feel it deserves an A review or is this people trying to stem the RT tide?
No I said it wasn’t excellent and that something felt off about the pacing. People on the audience seemed to really like it based on the laughter and the clapping(yuck).

Would I give it an A? No. But I can see why it got one. And no, I don’t think it has anything to do with RT.

If anything can be learned from all of this, it’s that the people who were upset about Brie Larson being a feminist and took the time to go to the internet and make a YouTube video, downvote a trailer, RT, or IMDb, or post “I’m a white guy so I’m not going.” In comments section of every article- those people have been told loudly, clearly, and forcefully, that they don’t matter. Their attempts to sway public opinion were openly mocked by anyone who knew of them, and completely ignored by the overwhelming majority of moviegoers.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Their attempts to sway public opinion were openly mocked by anyone who knew of them, and completely ignored by the overwhelming majority of moviegoers.
In China (as you said).

Pigdango

Donator
Counter-argument, movie theater clappers don't count as people.
I saw CM in an RPX theater that was packed full. I don't know how many people that is - maybe 200? It's also got the recliners, so people are more spaced out, which made it that much more awkward when people tried to start the round of applause and failed.
In China (as you said).
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the movie is only finding success in China, and the heroic efforts of insecure white men swayed public opinion in the rest of the world? Reality disagrees with you.

The mistake these dummies made was putting a googly eyed face on their #Resistance efforts:

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the movie is only finding success in China, and the heroic efforts of insecure white men swayed public opinion in the rest of the world? Reality disagrees with you.
Just a call back on what your defense was only a few posts ago.

But don't worry, I'm not invested enough to joust like Jimcy. I don't care enough to love or hate this film.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm seeing a lot of "middle of the road" reviews from my friends. I have a feeling it's not going to get better with age.

Still leaning towards not bothering with this one at least for now. It's ok. I skipped Ant Man and Doctor Strange initially, too. The MCU somehow survived.
Well you gotta do what you gotta do. As you said, the MCU will survive without your $12.

This movie was more directly tied to the MCU than Ant Man and Doctor Strange are though. But as I said, it is also prequel, which makes some of those connections fall a little flat or feel a little forced.

Pigdango

Donator
Just a call back on what your defense was only a few posts ago.

But don't worry, I'm not invested enough to joust like Jimcy. I don't care enough to love or hate this film.
I have no idea what you mean, but it seems like that's fine. No jousting today!

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I'm not invested enough to joust like Jimcy.
I'm jousting? I saw the youtube anger and came to make jokes a week or so ago. I asked about the marketing costs because ever since I found out how retardedly expensive that shit is it makes me curious about how that shit digs a hole you gotta fill on top of the original budget.

I might just go see it for the hell of it. I mostly don't trust reviews anyway.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Some other movies looked good coming out of the gate. Solo had a pretty good Thursday Night too. I'm guessing 80-100 million this weekend.
I have some great news. Captain Marvel made around $61 million on Friday. So between the $20 million on Thursday and the $60 million on Friday, as long as no one else sees Captain Marvel at all this weekend, we've saved the patriarchy.

Bobobie

I have some great news. Captain Marvel made around $61 million on Friday. So between the $20 million on Thursday and the $60 million on Friday, as long as no one else sees Captain Marvel at all this weekend, we've saved the patriarchy.
Get back to me when she's making Captain America a sandwhich.