Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
It was ok. Formulaic, as if it was all just insert character here, etc, but not un-enjoyable. Larson really was flat though, and I don't mean the ass. She's bad casting all-around. Could I miss this and still watch and understand Endgame? I'm pretty sure. It's hardly more relevant than AM&TW.

Most of all, I REALLY hated the eyepatch explanation for Fury...

That took too much from a character that was considered for a standalone film in the past (forget the Hoff). They didn't need to bring him down that much just to make Larson look more "badass". It still bugs me they did that. Fury deserved a film based on the story of that, and they made it a comic throwaway scene. Really insulting.

Bobobie

$455 million worldwide. So it will turn a profit by...Tuesday.

Get woke, get rich!
It did 53 million better than I thought it would. I wonder what the drop off will be. Should know by Tuesday.

No I said it wasn’t excellent and that something felt off about the pacing. People on the audience seemed to really like it based on the laughter and the clapping(yuck).

Would I give it an A? No. But I can see why it got one. And no, I don’t think it has anything to do with RT.

If anything can be learned from all of this, it’s that the people who were upset about Brie Larson being a feminist and took the time to go to the internet and make a YouTube video, downvote a trailer, RT, or IMDb, or post “I’m a white guy so I’m not going.” In comments section of every article- those people have been told loudly, clearly, and forcefully, that they don’t matter. Their attempts to sway public opinion were openly mocked by anyone who knew of them, and completely ignored by the overwhelming majority of moviegoers.
The thing they failed to take into consideration is that a majority of the moviegoing audience doesn't follow movies like they or we do. For most of the audience, their conversation about a particular movie goes something like this:

"Hey what do you want do tonight"?

"How about a movie. I hear there is a new MCU movie out"?

"Sounds good".

And scene.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
The thing they failed to take into consideration is that a majority of the moviegoing audience doesn't follow movies like they or we do. For most of the audience, their conversation about a particular movie goes something like this:

"Hey what do you want do tonight"?

"How about a movie. I hear there is a new MCU movie out"?

"Sounds good".

And scene.
I feel the same way about TLJ. Most people don't hate the Canto Bight scenes because it had the audacity to condemn war profiteers; they hate it because it feels like the prequels, takes too long, and serves no purpose. They probably don't even remember that throwaway line - I mean that AOC-written manifesto they stopped the movie to read in its entirety.

Same with Admiral Holdo. They hate those scenes not because she's a woman, but because it feels like nothing, takes too long, and serves no purpose. She's an unmemorable character and would have been had she been woman, man, or squid monster. They probably don't even remember her talking down to Poe Dameron; I mean literally cutting off his penis and parading his dick and balls in front of a cabal of women.

DiggerNick

Donator
I was genuinely shocked to see that the ultra-SJW TheAVClub could only give this a 'C' rating.

TheLoon

I'm surprised they aren't going with "the numbers are fake!"
No...but Marvel/Disney did a fantastic job fabricating all this controversy for a movie that if it came out in 2009 would have been instantly forgotten...but they ginned up the SJW worker bees so they could turn a profit week 1 which was an annoying but admittedly genius move...movie won't have legs though since I'm sure the next fake controversy is in the works

Pigdango

Donator
No...but Marvel/Disney did a fantastic job fabricating all this controversy for a movie that if it came out in 2009 would have been instantly forgotten...but they ginned up the SJW worker bees so they could turn a profit week 1 which was an annoying but admittedly genius move...movie won't have legs though since I'm sure the next fake controversy is in the works
You are....not smart. The fake controversy was drummed entirely by a bunch of whiny white babies.

Pigdango

Donator
Alright, god dammit! Let’s do this AGAIN! Now with 100% more white men crying!

Pigdango

Donator
Sorry, those are actual children crying. This theater is full of them. :confused::(:mad:

Pigdango

Donator
Captain Marvel dropped -71% on Monday, right in line with Doctor Strange and Hunger Games. Still, it’s perhaps a little steeper than what they were hoping for. I think at least some schools are on spring break this week.

With no major releases coming out this week it ought to hold fairly well. Doctor Strange pulled off a -49% hold, aided by Veteran’s Day falling on its second Friday. Best comp remains Hunger Games, which dropped -61% in its second weekend. If Captain Marvel can stay in that ballpark all is well. If it slips to -70% like BvS, then there is a problem.

Pigdango

Donator
I had heard Captain Marvel benefitted from a second viewing, and for me that was true. I liked it a lot more this time around. Not sure how much higher on the list that takes it.

Pigdango

Donator
Captain Marvel had a healthy increase of +33% yesterday thanks to discount movie Tuesday. This is in line with Thor Ragnarok's +31.2% increase on it's first Tuesday.

Doctor Strange didn't get quite the same boost (+23%) because it's 2nd Tuesday fell on Election Day in 2016.

Thor Ragnarok's 2nd weekend was -53.5%. Like Doctor Strange it got a boost from Veteran's Day falling on it's 2nd Friday.

So look for Captain Marvel to take a fairly big nosedive of over 40% tomorrow and drop another 10% on Thursday before leveling off on the weekend. Again, a drop of around 60% would be considered normal.