Movie Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson: 03/08/19

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
That's fucking awful. Is he supposed to be talking to himself with his incessant hand waving?
I don't know. I'm only peripherally aware of the existence of this band - my step brother loves them. I searched for "I apologize song" on YouTube and that was the first result.

In a thread where I'm scolding people for being overly offended, I can honestly say that video offended me.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I can no longer, in good conscience, stand by my first comment in this thread after peeking Brie Larson's little piggies.

Don't forget her lack of a butt. Affects liking the movie or not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pigdango

Donator
I don't know if that dude read the whole article, but it's hilarious.

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-losing-confidence-captain-marvel-brie-larson-spider-man

This is my favorite part:

It's also said Captain Marvel would have humiliated Spider-Man in order to promote Disney's PC feminist agenda that shows females as being better than males.

I'd better not comment as a tool of the patriarchy
You want to make @lajikal style predictions? Let's keep it simple:

True or False - Disney will make a 2nd Captain Marvel movie.

I will say True, and add that this entire article is made up out of thin air. Can I put you down for False? No Captain Marvel sequel?

Pigdango

Donator
Her dyke haircut in End Game did her character in.

Sent from your Mom's box.
That was definitely not a good look for her. Can't really blame the Russos, they had to film Endgame without knowing what direction Captain Marvel's own movie was going to go in, so they took an educated guess.

I will say True, and add that this entire article is made up out of thin air. Can I put you down for False? No Captain Marvel sequel?
What do you want to bet? And are we giving it a timeframe, or will you still be waiting in the year 2050?

Pigdango

Donator
What do you want to bet? And are we giving it a timeframe, or will you still be waiting in the year 2050?
Here's what I think happened - Marvel got a lot of pressure to keep the Phase 4 focus on the Disney+ stuff, and they legitimately are sorting out how to work the X-Men and Fantastic Four in, so aren't ready to really get into the next phase of movies. The first movie in Phase 4 is a fucking prequel, for chrissakes. Here are the movies in Phase 4:

5/1/20 - Black Widow
11/6/20 - Eternals
2/12/21 - Shang Chi
5/7/21 - Doctor Strange 2
11/5/21 - Thor 4
5/6/22 - Black Panther 2

They also announced a Blade movie, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3, and Captain Marvel 2, although they didn't provide release dates for any of those.

If you look at the three sequels with dates, some of the gaps are pretty long: Doctor Strange will be 5 years, Black Panther and Thor 4 years. Guardians 3 will be at least a 5 year gap as well. So you can see why I'm calling BS on this report. Captain Marvel came out...(checks calendar) just 6 months ago. It would seem based on the schedule that a return in 2023 or 2024 is in the cards for her, and that's completely in line with the rest of the schedule.

Does that mean we won't see her for 5 years? I don't think so. What's really missing in their Phase 4 announcement is an event film to tie it all together. I would assume she will be a part of that movie, whatever it is. She also may pop up in the WandaVision show, since they've already announced an adult Monica Rambeau will feature in that. If so, I'm sure that will be spun that she's been relegated to TV, which I will laugh at just like I'm laughing at this "report."

Here's what I think happened - Marvel got a lot of pressure to keep the Phase 4 focus on the Disney+ stuff, and they legitimately are sorting out how to work the X-Men and Fantastic Four in, so aren't ready to really get into the next phase of movies. The first movie in Phase 4 is a fucking prequel, for chrissakes. Here are the movies in Phase 4:

5/1/20 - Black Widow
11/6/20 - Eternals
2/12/21 - Shang Chi
5/7/21 - Doctor Strange 2
11/5/21 - Thor 4
5/6/22 - Black Panther 2

They also announced a Blade movie, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3, and Captain Marvel 2, although they didn't provide release dates for any of those.

If you look at the three sequels with dates, some of the gaps are pretty long: Doctor Strange will be 5 years, Black Panther and Thor 4 years. Guardians 3 will be at least a 5 year gap as well. So you can see why I'm calling BS on this report. Captain Marvel came out...(checks calendar) just 6 months ago. It would seem based on the schedule that a return in 2023 or 2024 is in the cards for her, and that's completely in line with the rest of the schedule.

Does that mean we won't see her for 5 years? I don't think so. What's really missing in their Phase 4 announcement is an event film to tie it all together. I would assume she will be a part of that movie, whatever it is. She also may pop up in the WandaVision show, since they've already announced an adult Monica Rambeau will feature in that. If so, I'm sure that will be spun that she's been relegated to TV, which I will laugh at just like I'm laughing at this "report."
So we won't be able to collect this bet until 2026 or so?

Pigdango

Donator
So we won't be able to collect this bet until 2026 or so?
At some point they will announce more movies. They're what...2.5 years out? So if Captain Marvel 2 is planned for 2024, we'll probably know by this time in 2022.

I'll say this - I believe that the original plan for Avengers 5 might have been for it to be some sort of A-Force type movie, and they've rethought that a bit after the Fox acquisition and everyone getting their panties in a twist over Captain Marvel and that goofy scene in Endgame. So there may be a nugget of truth to them rethinking what they're doing with the character, but I don't think it has anything at all to do with Spider-Man.

Or they may not be rethinking it at all. If you look at the Disney+ shows, they're certainly putting a lot of pieces on the table to make an A-Force movie. For the record, I think that would be a terrible idea.

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
I don't know if that dude read the whole article, but it's hilarious.

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-losing-confidence-captain-marvel-brie-larson-spider-man

This is my favorite part:

I wonder how, acçording to their sources, Captain Marvel would have humiliated Spider-Man. Bare bottom spanking?

Pigdango

Donator
I wonder how, acçording to their sources, Captain Marvel would have humiliated Spider-Man. Bare bottom spanking?
I love how these guys just can't hold it together with their fantasy scenarios.

I'm good with being team No CM Sequel and we'll see if we're still around to make a definitive call on that bet
I appreciate someone willing to take a bold stance, but I don't want to misrepresent your prediction. You're saying no direct sequel to Captain Marvel with Brie Larson in the lead, right? So let's be clear on what counts and what doesn't:

Captain Marvel sequel that stars a shit ton of other Marvel characters COUNTS as a direct sequel in the same way that Captain America Civil War counts as a direct sequel to Winter Soldier, right?

Avengers: A-Force with Captain Marvel leading a team of female Avengers DOES NOT COUNT as a direct sequel in the same way that Avengers Age of Ultron isn't a direct sequel to Winter Soldier, right?

Essentially, it could be the exact same movie. But if it's called Captain Marvel: A-Force, it counts. If it's called Avengers: A-Force, or simply A-Force, it doesn't. Fair? I won't try to claim a movie without Captain Marvel in the title is a sequel, and you won't try to claim a Captain Marvel sequel that features a bunch of other characters to boost it's chances of success is not one.

I'm in.

Edit - and to be clear, if they announce A-Force for 2023, and Captain Marvel 2 for 2024, that still counts as her getting a direct sequel. The order doesn't matter.

Needs to be "Captain Marvel" in the title and needs to be listed first, if it's a team up buddy movie. Anything else doesn't count.

LiddyRules

I appreciate someone willing to take a bold stance, but I don't want to misrepresent your prediction. You're saying no direct sequel to Captain Marvel with Brie Larson in the lead, right? So let's be clear on what counts and what doesn't:

Captain Marvel sequel that stars a shit ton of other Marvel characters COUNTS as a direct sequel in the same way that Captain America Civil War counts as a direct sequel to Winter Soldier, right?

Avengers: A-Force with Captain Marvel leading a team of female Avengers DOES NOT COUNT as a direct sequel in the same way that Avengers Age of Ultron isn't a direct sequel to Winter Soldier, right?

Essentially, it could be the exact same movie. But if it's called Captain Marvel: A-Force, it counts. If it's called Avengers: A-Force, or simply A-Force, it doesn't. Fair? I won't try to claim a movie without Captain Marvel in the title is a sequel, and you won't try to claim a Captain Marvel sequel that features a bunch of other characters to boost it's chances of success is not one.

I'm in.

Edit - and to be clear, if they announce A-Force for 2023, and Captain Marvel 2 for 2024, that still counts as her getting a direct sequel. The order doesn't matter.
What if it's Captain Marvel 2, but Larsen is out?

Pigdango

Donator
I'm curious how many of the 43 Billion Dollar movies haven't had sequels, so I looked:

Avengers: Endgame - no direct sequel announced yet
Titanic - :haha7:
Lion King - No sequel announced yet
Harry Potter 8 - I'm going to say this doesn't count, because they've released two HP Prequels since.
Beauty and the Beast - no sequel announced yet
Incredibles 2 - No sequel announced yet
Iron Man 3 - :(
Captain America 3 - :(
Spider-Man Far From Home - No direct sequel announced yet.
Captain Marvel - Nothing scheduled, but it was said to be underway at Comic Con. So not sure how to list this one.
Return of the King - Same as HP. Doesn't count thanks to the Hobbit movies
Dark Knight Rises - Does BvS count? I think it does. It's not a sequel, but certainly a continuation of the franchise.
Toy Story 4 - No sequel announced yet.
Rogue One - Not sure what to make of this one either. Solo doesn't count. Does the Cassian Endor series?
Aladdin - No sequel announced yet
Despicable Me 3 - No sequel announced yet
Finding Dory - No sequel announced yet

I'm sure there will be another Avengers movie, even if none of the original Avengers are in it.
I would hope we never get a Titanic 2.
An Iron Man 4 and a Captain America 4 seem unlikely. I think both franchises will be rebooted eventually. But for now, nothing in the works.
I'm not counting Harry Potter and Return of the King because of their prequels. I'm also not counting TDKR because of the Reboot.
I think for Rogue One that the Endor series doesn't count as a sequel. Just like a Direct to Video sequel wouldn't count.
I'm quite positive Spider-Man FFH, Captain Marvel and Despicable Me 3 will receive sequels.
I think Incredibles 3 will happen, as long as Craig T Nelson doesn't keel over. And maybe even if he does.
After that it's a bunch of animated movies and Disney live action remakes of animated films. They made sequels to Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent, so I think it's safe to assume they will make sequels to the live action remakes.

So as far as "End of the franchise" films, my prediction is:
Titanic
Toy Story
Rogue One
Finding Dory

And that's about it.

Pigdango

Donator
What if it's Captain Marvel 2, but Larsen is out?
I suppose if people continue to hate Brie Larson, and folks really dig on either Kamala Khan or Monica Rambeau, something like that could happen. But I don't think so.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I suppose if people continue to hate Brie Larson, and folks really dig on either Kamala Khan or Monica Rambeau, something like that could happen. But I don't think so.
You still need her to 'hand off the baton' to someone else, there's no way in fuck they're just going to quietly move away from damn Captain Marvel. She signed a five movie deal.

LiddyRules

I mean they recast Carol Danvers. Does that affect your conditions?

Pigdango

Donator
I mean they recast Carol Danvers. Does that affect your conditions?
Obviously if they recast Danvers that would be a "W" for Mayr and his pals. I don't see any scenario at all for that to happen though.

LiddyRules

At some point they will announce more movies. They're what...2.5 years out? So if Captain Marvel 2 is planned for 2024, we'll probably know by this time in 2022.

I'll say this - I believe that the original plan for Avengers 5 might have been for it to be some sort of A-Force type movie, and they've rethought that a bit after the Fox acquisition and everyone getting their panties in a twist over Captain Marvel and that goofy scene in Endgame. So there may be a nugget of truth to them rethinking what they're doing with the character, but I don't think it has anything at all to do with Spider-Man.

Or they may not be rethinking it at all. If you look at the Disney+ shows, they're certainly putting a lot of pieces on the table to make an A-Force movie. For the record, I think that would be a terrible idea.

I'm in.

I'm not going to guess the next Avengers-level threat because I can't begin to guess what the through line for Phase IV would be. What would be the threat that would combine the Earth characters and the cosmic characters, or if it would just be cosmic because that's where a lot of Phase IV seems to be taking place. I don't think she'd be "I met Wasp for 5 minutes and she seems cool so I'm bringing her to space."

Plus because Black Panther did fuck all in the Avengers movies, I'd be surprise if they didn't make him more front and center in whatever big event movie comes next.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm not going to guess the next Avengers-level threat because I can't begin to guess what the through line for Phase IV would be. What would be the threat that would combine the Earth characters and the cosmic characters, or if it would just be cosmic because that's where a lot of Phase IV seems to be taking place. I don't think she'd be "I met Wasp for 5 minutes and she seems cool so I'm bringing her to space."

Plus because Black Panther did fuck all in the Avengers movies, I'd be surprise if they didn't make him more front and center in whatever big event movie comes next.
My theory is a build towards Annihilation. If you're not familiar, Fantastic Four villain Annihilus builds a swarm of insect robot things known as the Annihilation Wave and basically threatens to destroy the galaxy. There are two series, both equally great: Annihilation, and Annihilation: Conquest. The second one is the one that put the GotG on the map and made a movie seem viable.

Marvel just announced a third series. Annihlation: Scourge. And look who's been added to the mix:

Probably not a coincidence. What will be interesting to see is if they don't actually make any of these movies Avengers films. It's entirely possible that the event films will be released under the Fantastic Four banner.