car audio ?

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
I just bought a 2009 Ford F-150 King Ranch, The 1st owner had installed a Kenwood DNX-6980. Yes I've googled it but looking for first hand experience with this system. Any one have some pointers on setting this up, no I didn't get a owner manual. theres XM and Sirius "buttons" on the touch screen but I don't even get the "call and hook us up" channel when I try ether one.

PS- I consider myself a "high Class" redneck now!

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Just because there are buttons, doesn't mean there's an antenna/SXM unit.
Did the previous owner have SXM on it?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
You probably need to add one of these onto the radio

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRKENV/SIRIUS-Package-for-Kenwood.html?ssi=0&tp=13573

They don't come with Satellite preinstalled in the base head unit.
When I bought my used 2007 ford explorer sport trac it had a factory sat antenna just above the passenger seat. In the front passenger kick panel was the ford "sirius" module that was designed to work with the ford head unit. Since I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that comes with xm/sirius compatibility I bought the pioneer version of what MMC was linking to for Kenwood. What I did was pull their unit out and hung the pioneer off the bracket ford mounted it with. The antenna cable connector had a plastic shroud over the connector which would not have fit onto the pioneer. However if you remove the plastic shroud then the antenna cable would fit onto the aftermarket unit. Then you just run the audio/data cable that comes with the Kenwood kit over to the back of your head unit much like a cd changer cable. Thats the din looking cable in the photo and it appears to have a right angle adapter that actually plugs into the back of head unit.

Or you can just use the supplied antenna and not mess with the ford parts if that is easier. Just didnt make sense in my case not to utilize the existing antenna since it was there.

Once you have the kit hooked up then the sat input will light up on the Kenwood head unit. You can then call Sirius and give them the tuner info so they can cut it on for you.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
When I bought my used 2007 ford explorer sport trac it had a factory sat antenna just above the passenger seat. In the front passenger kick panel was the ford "sirius" module that was designed to work with the ford head unit. Since I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that comes with xm/sirius compatibility I bought the pioneer version of what MMC was linking to for Kenwood. What I did was pull their unit out and hung the pioneer off the bracket ford mounted it with. The antenna cable connector had a plastic shroud over the connector which would not have fit onto the pioneer. However if you remove the plastic shroud then the antenna cable would fit onto the aftermarket unit. Then you just run the audio/data cable that comes with the Kenwood kit over to the back of your head unit much like a cd changer cable. Thats the din looking cable in the photo and it appears to have a right angle adapter that actually plugs into the back of head unit.

Or you can just use the supplied antenna and not mess with the ford parts if that is easier. Just didnt make sense in my case not to utilize the existing antenna since it was there.

Once you have the kit hooked up then the sat input will light up on the Kenwood head unit. You can then call Sirius and give them the tuner info so they can cut it on for you.
Thanks for the input, I was looking at the Cruchfield link and saw this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRKENP/Sirius-Dock-and-Play-Package-for-Kenwood.html?tp=87 If Im reading this correctly I can use my Stiletto s-2 as the "brain/receiver" but have it put away in glove box, under seat, ect... and the Kenwood would act as the interface. I would save the sub fee and wife would not bitch about sat radio in a truck that I only use on week-ends. (drive service van during week that has the Stiletto)

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Thanks for the input, I was looking at the Cruchfield link and saw this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRKENP/Sirius-Dock-and-Play-Package-for-Kenwood.html?tp=87 If Im reading this correctly I can use my Stiletto s-2 as the "brain/receiver" but have it put away in glove box, under seat, ect... and the Kenwood would act as the interface. I would save the sub fee and wife would not bitch about sat radio in a truck that I only use on week-ends. (drive service van during week that has the Stiletto)
If you have the car cradle and antenna for the Stiletto, you don't even need that, just an Aux cable to run from the Sirius unit to the head unit.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
If you have the car cradle and antenna for the Stiletto, you don't even need that, just an Aux cable to run from the Sirius unit to the head unit.
Exactly, I thought he was going to use the headunit and a kenwood sat tuner to replace another unit.

Kenwood has external hookup cables for that headunit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113CAC3AV/Kenwood-CA-C3AV-A-V-Cable.html?search=ca-c3av&skipvs=T

Tom,
Not sure how the interface you just linked will work on the head unit side, you may find it would just be easier to mount your portable close by so you can control it. Now if it sends full control over to the headunit then great. But it might be a more crippled interface like not showing all pad data or channel info or be cumbersome to change channels if you have a lot of stored channels. Then none of this may be a big deal to you.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
Exactly, I thought he was going to use the headunit and a kenwood sat tuner to replace another unit.

Kenwood has external hookup cables for that headunit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113CAC3AV/Kenwood-CA-C3AV-A-V-Cable.html?search=ca-c3av&skipvs=T

Tom,
Not sure how the interface you just linked will work on the head unit side, you may find it would just be easier to mount your portable close by so you can control it. Now if it sends full control over to the headunit then great. But it might be a more crippled interface like not showing all pad data or channel info or be cumbersome to change channels if you have a lot of stored channels. Then none of this may be a big deal to you.
Ad states "This package includes everything needed to control your SIRIUS dock-and-play satellite radio through your compatible Kenwood receiver." I was thinking of mounting it without any thing visible, of course I know how to just mount on a dock, I on my 4th Siri head unit, had sub since early 05. I was looking at a way to connect to Siri-XM with out screwing a dock to the dash and also without adding a new sub. Would rather not n-rig up my new red-neck mobile.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Ad states "This package includes everything needed to control your SIRIUS dock-and-play satellite radio through your compatible Kenwood receiver." I was thinking of mounting it without any thing visible, of course I know how to just mount on a dock, I on my 4th Siri head unit, had sub since early 05. I was looking at a way to connect to Siri-XM with out screwing a dock to the dash and also without adding a new sub. Would rather not n-rig up my new red-neck mobile.
Thats what I thought at first, you buy the tuner for the Kenwood and that on purpose mounts under the dash or in the kick panel or wherever it makes sense. Seems like a pain to keep removing a unit out of glove box all the time too or have the connector that break from changing it a lot. But if you dont want to pay another sub then you have to kill a current tuner you have.

The concern I brought up about compatible was would you have the control you want via the in dash unit rather than have to change channels and whatnot on the portable. I have no doubt that the cable will let sat radio play through your in dash.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
In my Toyota I have a Clarion that uses the XM Mini tuner, that I also have a couple of docks for in the house - Samsung Nexus I think. My Yamaha A/V receiver also has a dock that uses the mini tuner - very happy with it, especially when I got the Samsungs and docks, they were super cheap.

In my Acura I have to use my SkyFi that I bought a life time sub for practically on day 1 before O&A were even on XM, its a pain in the ass to hook up, but that SkyFi at 10 years old still works great.

I used to have a Roady2 that I used in the Acura and it was great, but I couldn't justify the number of subs as the price started to increase

I need to get new head units in both cars that use the mini tuner and work with the iPhone - the Clarion I have is iPod compatible but not iPhone

I guess the good part is that I don't drive much - less than 2000 miles last year

My brother got rid of XM a couple of years ago, I have his mini tuner but he shot his SkyFi2 and the boom box, which I would have liked to have had since it'll work with the SkyFi I have with the life time sub

I also plan on getting a new A/V receiver this year, I'm waiting for the new Yamaha models to be released, I plan on getting a 9.2, I'll need to get 2 more speakers, which it isn't a problem to find a pair of matching Infinity SM series on eBay. The new receivers are full iPad/Phone/Pod controls something I really want, I have the Logitech Harmony Link which is pretty clumsy, it works just not like you would want it to. Anyway none of the new A/V receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Sony, etc... are "XM Ready" which really sucks since I have the docks & mini tuner, they have XM/Sirius built in but it means paying for another sub. I can always hook the SkyFi or Samsung into one of the audio inputs, but its not the same as having the controls on the receiver remote - although I honestly can't really remember when I listened to XM in the theater room, I think it might have been a Saturday Night Virus when the Angry Video Game Nerd was on

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
In my Toyota I have a Clarion that uses the XM Mini tuner, that I also have a couple of docks for in the house - Samsung Nexus I think. My Yamaha A/V receiver also has a dock that uses the mini tuner - very happy with it, especially when I got the Samsungs and docks, they were super cheap.

In my Acura I have to use my SkyFi that I bought a life time sub for practically on day 1 before O&A were even on XM, its a pain in the ass to hook up, but that SkyFi at 10 years old still works great.

I used to have a Roady2 that I used in the Acura and it was great, but I couldn't justify the number of subs as the price started to increase

I need to get new head units in both cars that use the mini tuner and work with the iPhone - the Clarion I have is iPod compatible but not iPhone

I guess the good part is that I don't drive much - less than 2000 miles last year

My brother got rid of XM a couple of years ago, I have his mini tuner but he shot his SkyFi2 and the boom box, which I would have liked to have had since it'll work with the SkyFi I have with the life time sub

I also plan on getting a new A/V receiver this year, I'm waiting for the new Yamaha models to be released, I plan on getting a 9.2, I'll need to get 2 more speakers, which it isn't a problem to find a pair of matching Infinity SM series on eBay. The new receivers are full iPad/Phone/Pod controls something I really want, I have the Logitech Harmony Link which is pretty clumsy, it works just not like you would want it to. Anyway none of the new A/V receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Sony, etc... are "XM Ready" which really sucks since I have the docks & mini tuner, they have XM/Sirius built in but it means paying for another sub. I can always hook the SkyFi or Samsung into one of the audio inputs, but its not the same as having the controls on the receiver remote - although I honestly can't really remember when I listened to XM in the theater room, I think it might have been a Saturday Night Virus when the Angry Video Game Nerd was on
You sound like the person to ask about XM over Sirius, I am ready to go all XM since giving up on Stern 100% a year or so back but I have been told that only the Steletto can record and play back at the same time, in other words I start my recording at 6am each morn then start to listen at 6:45ish and pause many times all day. I can save money with XM instead of Siri with best of XM. Any XM equipment come to mind. Seems it getting harding to find units that record and store.

edit: done with Stern over 3years, where does the time go, OMG sound like someones Dad!

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
You sound like the person to ask about XM over Sirius, I am ready to go all XM since giving up on Stern 100% a year or so back but I have been told that only the Steletto can record and play back at the same time, in other words I start my recording at 6am each morn then start to listen at 6:45ish and pause many times all day. I can save money with XM instead of Siri with best of XM. Any XM equipment come to mind. Seems it getting harding to find units that record and store.

Honestly, I haven't kept up with any of the newer units.

My first instinct would be contact the fine folks at My Radio Store dot com
Toll-Free: 1-866-732-1541
cs@myradiostore.com
http://www.myradiostore.com/

You could also check out http://www.xm411.com/